Jacksonville, FL
Students enrolled: 1,242

Posted August 18, 2015
Douglas Anderson is an amazing school. It's constantly updating, expanding, and improving. Students are challenged in BOTH the academics and the arts. The teachers are supportive and care a lot about their students. Most people believe this school is just for the arts. Well, it is an arts school; however, DA is very focused on academics. Academic classes are challenging. Anyway, colleges like kids that go to an arts school, better than kids that go to regular schools (because they tend to be more well-rounded). A Douglas Anderson student with a 4.6 weighted GPA applied to Duke University (an outstanding medical school in North Carolina). A Stanton (a more academically-focused school in Jacksonville) student also applied to Duke with a 4.9 weighted GPA. While the Stanton student was denied acceptance to Duke, the Douglas Anderson student was accepted into the school with a full ride (she didn't have to pay any tuition). If you want to pursue the arts after college (which a little under half of graduates actually do), DA is probably the best choice. Many who go to school here end up on Broadway or in a band (notable bands that had Douglas Anderson students in them are Yellowcard, Limp Bizkit, and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus). Our vocal department has won a Grammy. Our cinematic arts department has many students that participate in the Jacksonville Film Festival. We have our own student newspaper, run by our creative writing department. Our Jazz ensemble group won first place in the Essentially Ellington High School Jazz Band Competition and Festival in New York. The jazz band was also featured in an award-winning documentary called "Chops". Here at DA, we do sometimes compete (within our arts areas, against other schools), but it's not excessively. Faculty actually keep it to a bare minimum, so that students don't miss class often. I, honestly, love DA. i couldn't have gone anywhere else for high school. The people are so nice, students included. I have never seen any bulling (or fights) going on. At all. We all pretty much respect each other. There isn't very much of a status quota either. DA is a great school. I am a better person, and a happier person, than I was coming here.

Posted February 22, 2015
We love this school. My child is thriving in music and acedemics. The offering of additional classes via Florida Virtual School is wonderful. We travel from Camden County, GA just for the opportunity to attend this wonderful school. And yes, if you live in Camden County GA you are eligible to audition for DA. If you get in you can take the bus from First Coast HS by Pecan Park Rd.

Posted November 13, 2014
Douglas Anderson School of the Arts is a shining beacon of creativity and hope for the Jacksonville and surrounding areas. In my time at DA as a Theatre Major, I learned more about myself, my craft and being a young professional than I could have anywhere else. What the school captures so magnificently is the ability to prepare young artists for a professional road ahead of them - that goes beyond their chosen art. DA taught me about time management, professionalism, responsibility, being detail-oriented, being specific and being a well-rounded individual. I'm very excited for the future, with the addition of the new buildings. (if only they were there when I attended!) I recommend Douglas Anderson to anyone serious about strengthening their craft and re-vitalizing themselves as young professionals. I'd give anything to do it again - truly. At times, it can be a dark atmosphere - but that as is life. If you attend, you are charged with figuring out how to make the dark atmosphere a light and hopeful atmosphere for yourself. It's an incredible school. Check it out - go to a performance, journey through the gallery, immerse yourself in a shining jewel that Jacksonville has.

Douglas Anderson School Of The Arts 2

Posted September 28, 2014
Very disorganized. No timely communication to students or parents. Multiple schedule changes for new students throughout first months of being in high school for freshmen. No support or contact by principal. New Vice principal placed in 2014 not caring toward students. Such a shame. Great previous reputation. They dropped the ball on the students this year. Maybe too focused on million dollar building project.

Douglas Anderson School Of The Arts 3

Posted August 27, 2014
DA is definitely an art school, and not good for much else. The academics are mediocre, there are no sports teams, and school clubs are minimal and disorganized. The art classes are good, but they're packed with students, so one-on-one time with teachers doesn't exist. If you enter as a Freshman and stay for all four years there's a chance that you might get to know the teachers and get a part in a production (coming from a performance theatre major). If you're a performer transfer to DA from another school during a time other than Freshman year, good luck getting cast or getting any kind of solid arts education, because they don't accommodate transfer students very well. But read many reviews; many other arts areas are good.

Douglas Anderson School Of The Arts 4

Posted August 15, 2014
My son is in an incoming freshman this year and while I am astounded at the educational support for these students and the track record academically and in the art areas, the school's organizational and communication skills are extremely lacking. If I were not a diligent researcher I would not have known much of what I have learned about scheduling, transportation, etc over the past few days. We just sat through orientation which was all about dress code info, no cells during school (which parents complained about), and letting us know about the great additions to the school that should be open next academic year. There was a q&a session but it was flooded more with complaints about the fact that the students are expected to be picked up by 4pm or repeat questions. Notifying us that the student's schedule may not be the one they actually use. A finalized schedule will be given on the first day of school. Supply lists will not be given until during the first week either. I would have liked to have seen a "new to DA packet" (even online), outlining all the information with pertinent phone numbers, a calendar, bus schedule, etc. Put teacher's supply lists online and save paper.

Posted June 10, 2014
My son attended all four high school years at DA and loved it! This is a wonderful school where students can purse their arts dreams while also maintaing their academics.

Posted February 02, 2014
Student/ Sister of alumni Douglas Anderson is an outstanding, competitive and profession arts school with dedicated staff and students. Our academics are amazing, and I my arts area, cinematic arts, there isn't as much a sense of team as family. However, the main reason I write this is to inform a reader that most awful reviews with no credible points (I.e. those saying that students at DA are doomed for life) are most likely bitter students who were turned away, students who were kicked out because they were unable to love up to DA's high standards, or the parents of these children. Before you turn away from the school, simply take a tour and you will be blown away by our talent. I assure you of it.

Douglas Anderson School Of The Arts 3

Posted October 16, 2012
I'm a current student. I must say the academics are good, I'd ignore those you say our academic is poor - come on we're tied 2nd in the county school ranking and our AP scores are usually as good if not better than Paxon and we're coming closer each year to getting better scores to get closer to beating Stanton. There are barely fights - usually 1 or none. There is actually a lot of drama because everyone is competitive, they'll do about anything to crush the other in their major. It's sad to see this when it's post to be technically non-competitive. Some teachers barely assign work and make things extra hard so you always have to be on your toes or next thing you know you have a D or F in a class. A plus is that we can be entirely ourselves compared to other schools, we're more family-like than others. Freshman are usually looked down upon because they don't know how to show respect to the upper clansmen. High rank = higher respect. If everyone follows this you won't have issues with anyone.

Posted July 30, 2012
As an alumnus of DA (Class of 2003), I feel that it is safe to say that this is one of the best schools in Duval County if not the state. The staff are impeccable and set such a high standard for success. Those who doubt the academic prowess of the school obviously did not attend DA. While the arts are the main focus, the academics could stand alone with every non-magnet program and most of the college prep magnet programs. The only class that was not taken seriously was PE and if you were a dance or theater major you had alternatives which were highly intensive. The music department at DA is phenomenal which has led to DA being named the Grammy school of the year multiple times and most recently in 2011. I hope that if I stay in Jacksonville my children will be accepted and add to the legacy that DA has built.

Douglas Anderson School Of The Arts
2445 San Diego Road, Jacksonville, FL  32207
Last modified Douglas Anderson School Of The Arts is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Douglas Anderson School Of The Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top