Mandarin High School

Public | 9-12 | 2590 students

Posted April 20, 2008

My name is Davin Peeples and I graduated from Mandarin High School in 2006 as well, and absolutely loved it. If you are an outgoing person and love to learn, it is the place to be. Alot of things kept changing while we were there but it was okay. The extra curricular activities are superb as are the academics. Any parent would be glad to send there child to Mandarin.

Posted December 6, 2007

I graduated from Mandarin High in 2006, and I am still proud to be a Mustang. Mandarin High is a great school. I have to be honest though, I never came close to failing, so I can not argue whether or not the 'academic notification and communication' is good or not. Oh top of being over-crowded the school is huge with a lot of diversity. I personally enjoyed it very much. Yes, the few times I attempted to get things straightened at an office I had a bit of difficulty, but one thing I can say is the school is strict. If you want your child to stay out of trouble this school is great. Especially with cutting class and leaving school. Overall, I give Mandarin High a 9 out of 10

Posted August 23, 2007

Mandarin High is not really the best high school in the district to go too. It is way to overly crowded. Alot of students are late to class because of other students hanging around with thier friends. There are definitely not many lockers and students have to bring thier bookbags to class. And since almost all the lockers are taken, I always had to carry the heavy textbooks in my bookbag. The cafeteria food is disgusting and the teachers don't communicate very well with the students. When you walk into the office, not alot of help is available. And there are alot of fights too.

Posted June 27, 2007

Our son was doing poorly in class. We did not know this even after contacting teacher throughout the year to check on his progress. He ended up with a D!!!!

Posted June 25, 2007

I went to mandarin high all four years of high school. I really liked it. Some of the teachers were not to my liking but thats ok. The cirriculum was great, I was in AP classes both my junior and senior year and before that I was in all honors classes, it really prepared me for college. I loved the friends I made and as long as your child is a respectable young person and knows right from wrong they will make it here. Guidance was not as helpful as they could have been but overall I loved my high school years, I learned so much and I would never change a thing.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 6, 2007

Horrific communication skills, my daughter was failing and we were not notified until the end of the year, luckily she busted her butt and made excellent progress this year (and I give the teachers no credit for this). The Main Office is a mass of confusion, most of the time it seem as if it is being run by the students. Plan on leaving your house 45-60 minutes before school starts..even if you live 1/2 mile from the school. The traffic problem is inexcusable and basically the administration doesn't care.

Posted April 24, 2007

I have twin daughters at MHS, both sophomores, and have to agree with most of the other reviews about the school being hugely overcrowded and undermanaged. It is remarkably easy for any number of problems to fall through the cracks, particularly when it comes to academics. On the occasions when I have dealt with the administration and guidance staff, my worst fears were confirmed. Unlike any school I've ever dealt with, there is a profound lack of concern. If you have children in this school, you had better stay on top of what they are doing, before during and after school. Because you can be sure that you're likely the only one who is.

Posted September 19, 2006

I have 2 children attending this school currently and a son who graduated in May'06. Luckily 2 of my children are above average students who will make teachers accountable, my son graduated with honors, but not because of the staff. The school is severely over-crowded to the extreme that kids stand in some classrooms and have no textbooks. This is ludicrous in today's society. Their is no accountability at this school and the administration is totally in effective, guidance is a joke. I could probably attend to the kids needs better as a parent than some of the staff who have degrees to do so. On the most recent report card not all classes were listed so we have no idea of the progress of our students in those classes. It is completely unbelievable! Our tax dollars at work!

Posted September 18, 2006

The guidance department at Mandarin High is inept. They are not responsive to students or parents. On several occasions I have had to threaten to talk to the principal before I could get someone in guidance to talk to me. They do not help college bound students with scholarships, recommendations, or information on how to get through the college admissions process. I don't buy the excuse that the school is too big, there are many large schools in this country that do much better. The counselors show no compassion for anyone. Their customer service skills are very poor. Clearly a lack of leadership within the school and this department. I have one child who graduated from MHS and a child who is currently a senior. If we ran our business this way, we would all get fired.

Posted August 27, 2006

A student was transferred about a year ago and it hasn't been a positive transition. Records shows that the student is placed in the wrong grade with wrong classes. When visiting the school to rectify, was told to come back later. No one knows what going on or why the records are incorrect. They have too many students for the number of teachers. And they are so overly crowded that they have to put trailers near the school for the student. That is not the environment that the student need to be in for their optimal learning and educational experience.

Posted August 23, 2006

My daughter went to Mandarin for 2 years. The school is much to large and cannot be attentive to an average or below average student's needs. I felt that the goal for an L.D. student was to get them out of the 'A' status as quickly and painlessly as possible. With lack of concern of the knowledge they need to know to succeed in this world.. If your child is an honor student I think they will do well..But it is very easy for others to fall through the cracks of No Child Left Behind. GOU2006

Posted August 21, 2006

My oldest Son graduated in 03', just barely. My second Son is a Senior now. Unfortunately, neither were honor students, so they were placed in the average classes, where students were allowed to sleep through class. Both were lost in the crowd by their sophomore years. The school is way too big...very few teachers make an effort to form a relation ship other than a head count in class...I am very disappointed! My daughter, on the other hand, attended Loretto and we applied for Magnate Programs upon her advancement to Middle School, and she is attending LaVilla School of the Arts. She is an honor student and has incredible teachers who challenge her daily, and she is excelling in every way! We are excited about her attending anywhere but Mandarin High! Looking back, I should have done the same Magnate search with my Sons.

Posted August 12, 2006

Mandarin High is way too crowded. Guidance is very disorganized and nothing seems to happen on a timely manner. Some of the teachers are fantastic but the math CPM books do not teach the students.

Posted August 5, 2006

I had 2 children who attended this school and fell through the cracks. I was not notified of their failing status until it was too late and I was told nothing could be done. I was horrified at the lack of supervision on campus and am aware of several instances involving drugs and sexual activity. While some students may do well others tend to fall in the wrong crowds. The school is very overpopulated, their drug problem is way out of control and even the 2 police officers on campus cannot handle the load they are dealt. After dealing with the duval school system, I refuse to send my younger children to a public school again. If your children are going to Mandarin, be very aware of the friends, teachers, and involvement in activities. Homeschooling would be a better environment than this one.

Posted June 17, 2006

Our experience at Mandarin High has been quite positive. As a science oriented parent, I have been extremely happy with his science teachers and classes. I am quite unhappy with the CPM Math curriculum that has been imposed by the Duval County Public School District, however. Unhappy is an understatement. I wish that parents had the choice of what type of math class format they prefer for their child. I do not think that CPM is best for all students. I have found administrators to be helpful and reasonably easy to contact with concerns or problems. My son is happy their and has made several nice new friends.

Posted May 10, 2006

I have a child graduating from Mandarin High this year. Since we moved here from out of state last summer, we have not been too involved. I do know that the school is so very overcrowded (3,000 plus students!). My child has had no interaction with guidance counselors as far as help choosing college, etc. Not sure if that is because he was only there this year or if they just don't help unless you are one of the 'chosen'. Check out surrounding counties before buying home in this school district if you will have high or middle school students. Will have new principal next year (2nd one in 3 years).

Posted March 28, 2006

Good school. Very large campus.

Posted February 21, 2006

this school is one of the top rated in the country my son went her for 3 years their curriculum is well rounded and the tachers strive to communicate with the parents my son was in the band here and the sports and music programs are great as well

Posted January 2, 2006

My son went there his senior year. He said it was okay. He liked most of his teachers.

Posted December 1, 2005

Mandarin high school is probably the worst school in the district. The school is run by the most incompetent people I have ever met and worst of all they don't fix the problems with the students. And other than two or three teachers most of them are horrible.
—Submitted by a former student

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

594 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

586 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

604 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

692 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

223 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

569 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

496 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

660 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 9%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Art teacher(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields