Jacksonville, FL

Mandarin High School 5

Posted October 25, 2014
I don't understand how people are rating this school so low, honestly this school changed my life completely. I've always been a person that didn't necessarily fit in and in here people are just so nice no matter who you are.You will always have friends no matter if you're a nerd, jock, or whatever. People actually care and they don't judge you on anything.And about the classes , yes they do challenge you, a lot! If you're in honors/AP track then you should expect a lot of work. However if you're in standard classes is not as bad, you will still learn though (I've been in both honors and standard) No matter where you live, who you are or where you come from people will not judge. And about the fact that the school is magnet and people are saying that there are kids from other neighborhoods, all I have to say is that this kids care enough of their education that they took the time to apply for a better school. And about the drugs, I don't think you will find a school completely drug free, there will always be the stoners, just stay away from it, most people do. But overall I love Mandarin High School. Go Mustangs!

Posted September 20, 2014
It all comes down to the environment at Mandarin High School that destroys the goodness of it all, unless a student is enrolled in advanced courses and thinks less of an idealist in High School. This school in terms of programs for those who mastered core material is a great alternative than attending selective expensive private schools. However, these students must think like a realist to survive for four years without any disturbances, including but not limited to teen corruption and senseless violence. In other words, a high achieving student must know how to "work" their connections and know the language of their inferiors. This is a magnet school. At Mandarin, the "magnet" means it accepts students from different neighborhoods and those from such neighborhoods have, for the lack of proper classification, a toxic culture. It shouldn't have to be this way and the current student population still remains the culprit. There are over two thousand students at this school and the opening of Atlantic Coast didn't help much. The problem lies with the governance of Duval County Schools. About myself, I graduated in 2010 but didn't attend college until 2013 due to finances. FSU-Bound.

Mandarin High School 5

Posted July 09, 2014
Likely the safest high school located in Jacksonville. Gated subdivisions merely 2 blocks. Most desirable public high school in Jacksonville, bar none. Communications? Teachers & faculty fantastic. Online services, both parental and student. High achieving athletics programs and extraordinary facilities. Campus design, giant open courtyard surrounded by classrooms, gymnasium, theater - lecture hall, library, and administrative/support offices. Best location in Jacksonville.

Posted June 20, 2014
I am now a junior at this school and im not impressed at all. the courses are not challenging. at my old school i was a below average student and now i am almost a bit above average, the work they give in most classes i had was so easy and then i rarely had any homework. Also there are fights everywhere and drugs. they had to close of the bathrooms at the football field because people were having sex in them and doing drugs. If i had the choice to go to a private school, i would switch in a flash.

Posted January 24, 2012
I am currently a Junior attending MHS, and I honestly wish I had taken up my parents on their offer to put me in a private school my freshman year. I am in the Gifted Program, but have had to drop all of my AP courses to due work overload and overall class failure to pass the AP exams. I have found that it has become worthless to get A's and B's all year in my classes, but then somehow magically be in an entire class that does not pass the exam determining whether you receive your college credit. Teachers who care about my education and well being are far and few between. Administration favors burnt out teachers who have gained tenure and ignore failing classes and the rising amounts of drop outs coming from our school. I am being shoved out of this overcrowded school with basic expectations from my teachers. I will NEVER allow my kids to attend this school.

Posted April 21, 2011
I went to Mandarin almost 10 years ago and at that time, the teachers would not go beyond normal call of duty and certainly never maintained discipline. Officials were quick to overreact in situations that required little to no involvement on their behalf and slow to react when true need arose. The thought of my kids going to this school fills me with dread. My worst years were at that school. Sure, there are a few teachers that outshone others like Mr. Waters or Mrs. Marks but most were jaded and angry.

Mandarin High School 3

Posted April 14, 2011
As a current sopohomore at Mandarin High, I'm somewhat ashamed to attend this school. Mandarin used to be one of the best schools in Duval besides Stanton and Paxon. Now, fires are being set left and right, drugs are being consumed by minors constantly, teachers don't care whethere you pass or fail, the kids don't care about anyone else except for who is inside the clique..thi school has major issues along with all of the kids who attend it. Like they just don't care if they hurt someones feeling and the administration...HORRIBLE! Bad school altogether, hopefully I will get into Douglas Anderson and can attend that school next year.

Mandarin High School 4

Posted April 13, 2011
I am a parent who has seen 3 of my children attend Mandarin HS during the past 6 years , and several things have become more and more clear about the Leadership and staff-- they are being asked to do more than they are payed to if overcrowding is still happening at the school . But just as the favorite restaurant in a community struggles to serve the line of customers that extend out the front door and into the parking lot, I think this might say something good about Mandarin. With budget cuts looming and a lot of negative "waves" being transmitted by those who are genuinely concerned about their children and their future, it will do a lot more good to help than to criticize in this schools day of need. "A brother is born for the day of adversity" -- Volunteer or give or do both. Don't just complain-- anyone can do that.

Mandarin High School 4

Posted August 12, 2010
Mandarin High School is great! The classes are challenging (mostly in AICE though) and okay teachers. I mean, sure there are fights all the time, but it is the same at any other public, and sometimes even private school. I have had a great time so far and I still have a few years left there. Plus, the school is the 96th or 97th best high school in the country. I recommend it to everyone. P.S. ALWAYS stay away from people you don't know or trust, because you may very well end up in a fight.

Mandarin High School 1

Posted July 07, 2010
Contrary to the recent Newsweek article that ranked Mandarin in the top 100 schools in the nation, this school is anything but. Fights and drug deals occur regularly. There is a solid social system comprised of cliques in place. Poor administration and faculty. If you're not in AP or AICE you're bascially discarded and put into daycare classes after they try every route to get you to pass the FCAT and graduate with the minimum requirements. The school forces students that aren't qualified into AP. Even if you're in AP the passing rate is still attrocious, though they do have a very large selection of AP courses to choose from. Don't bother with AICE, it's extra work for nothing, despite what the teachers and counselors tell you. It's not even widely recognized by most universities. IB is better.

Mandarin High School
4831 Greenland Road, Jacksonville, FL  32258
Last modified Mandarin High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mandarin High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 80 reviews. Top