First Coast High School

Public | 9-12 | 2315 students

Posted October 21, 2008

As a father of two high school students, I have to put two cents in. This is a horrible school. The administration does not care. The teachers are scared of the students. The only subject that gets any attention is the FCAT. If you can find away to afford a private school, I would do it. It is your child's future, don't gamble with it here.

Posted September 19, 2008

I'm currently a Junior at First Coast. I've read some of the previous reviews of the school and I just had to add my input. First Cosat is not perfect, we all know that. First Coast is trying their hardest! The reason I barely had a math teacher for the first 2 years is because some students terrorized the teachers so much, they didn't want to work there anymore. It's not always the teachers! It's some students and even some of the parents. Cause if their children was raised up right, they wouldn't act stupid in school!

Posted September 9, 2008

I agree with the last poster that it has potential, but they took too long to get it together. I pulled my child after one year due to negative influences around her causing her to behave uncharacteristicly. The day we tried to withdraw her, they told us we'd have to come back because they had to focus their attention on the fights that had just occured. I knew then that we had made the right decision. She is now in a private school and thriving. I do continue to suppport FCHS and pray for its success.

Posted September 8, 2008

First Coast High School has great potential. It will take participation from all parties working together; administrators, teachers, students, parents and the community. I must say as a parent I worry about all my children's safety at 'any' school. I have yet to find a school that doesn't have problems.

Posted August 19, 2008

I found the curriculum limited and archaic, the administration clueless and the involvement of parents with teachers extremely frustrating. Often it took up to 3 weeks for teachers to respond to concerns and only after harassing them on a daily basis and calling the district office were my calls answered. Safety is a major concern. I would not recommend this school to any parent that cares about their child s education. I would go as far as warning of any public school in the Duval County school board control.

Posted July 23, 2008

I just graduated from first coast. We have had great administration over my 4 years there.First Coast is a developing school who has so many open doors for welling students to take.But, over the past year we have had student from troubled schools come to FCHS.We have exceptional departments that open students to so many different opportunities.I can honestly say that the teachers do care.We were on the news a few times but i must say it was not the whole truth! Half the time its truly stupid kids trying to get attention.So,if your child is going to FCHS..get involved! because it could just be your child without the name on the news starting trouble...

Posted July 22, 2008

I'm going into my Junior Year here and I don't like it at all. The classes are mediocre and misleading, such as the computer business skills class. It's just learning to type and nothing else. They don't even have classes for programming as something simple as php. The average student's attitude in this school are to not get involved in any AP classes (if you can call them that) and at least get the lowest possible grades to pass onto the next grade. No wonder the school average is still a D. I wish I could go to a better school, but there are none in my region without driving 45 min to another school just as bad as First Coast. At least the people you meet are mostly decent. But there's still a lot of violence going on almost every week. I give this school a 1 out of 5.

Posted May 28, 2008

I moved here from NC a few years ago and now im a sophmore. My freshman year I signed up to be apart of the Swim Team and the Chorus the chorus is one of the best in the stateand our swimteam s rerally good.I feel that it is really easy to make friends it just depends on who you hang with, if you want to make a lot of friends join the Chorus because I have made so many in there. I feel that the AP classes are a waste of time so just take Honor classes and maeby some classes @ FLVS.net (thier free). And when you become a jounier take classes @ FCCJ it counts for HS and College and its free college!!!!. Now our school isnt ther most peaceful but we still have an abundance of security and trying thier best to keep us safe.

Posted March 28, 2008

I think the teachers involved that I have been involed is very good and they care. It is the students that have been let in the school that is the problem. The line is ok it is the students that got the passes that is causing most of the problems. Rating is 3

Posted March 1, 2008

this is a horrible school do not send your child here if you have a choice. since i have been in this school we have had 2 race wars 2 riots and a uncountable amount of fights the teachers are good but the women who run the houses and main office are extremely disrespectful to both students snd parents the teachers are usually good and try to do their jobs but are hinderd by direspectfull students. there a whole lot of theft, drug usage, sex and alcohol i mean i could go to school and buy some grey goose,weed, and a stolen ipod .make love in the bathroom or hallways depending on who you hang with for under $75 i mean it's not that hard but hey you can believe me or not it's your childs future

Posted February 7, 2008

Extremely great school! Love the principal and the enviroment and the softball team is amazing!

Posted September 19, 2007

The school has its problems. Students are very disrespectful. It has been fun though...in large parts due to CDR Jacobson, Senior Chief Briley and Major Wirkus in the NJROTC program. In my opinion all students should take it, for the fact that it instills responsibility and respect for leaders and adults, others and yourself.

Posted September 14, 2007

i went to this school, i came from pa and it was a big change. the students were disrespectful and out of control and the teachers did not teach how they should...mostly the math department.

Posted September 13, 2007

I am a concerned parent and father of a son that had the poteintial to be an academic college student and was totally ruined by this environment in this school. I must say that the assistant principal was very eger to listen and cared to get to the bottom of the problems surrounding my son. In my opinion, if you are a parent in this area and care of your child's growth. Then you better be very observational with them. Get involved.

Posted August 1, 2007

First Coast High School is definitely moving in the right direction. The FCAT scores are showing progress. 10th grade FCAT Writes scores were higher than previous years. Our Advanced Placement student enrollment increased by more than 200% this past year as we continue to increase rigorous course offerings. We will add AP Music History as an example. The new principal is an upbeat disciplinarian and an even better instructional leader. The students know who their principal is and respect him! Chorus and Band programs are outstanding! Athletics are thriving! Several student athletes received scholarships last year and several have committed to college for next year already. The football team will play their first game on ESPN this year in South Carolina. The school will also receive a multi million dollar indoor Olympic size pool this year. It is a great time to be a First Coast Buccaneer!
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted July 31, 2007

This school has many issues. Beginning with the staff letting the students over run the school. The children wear what they want, use foul language and have no respect for others. The staff tolerates this behavior from some students, yet others are singled out. There is more drugs and weapons on this campus then what the staff realizes. The vehicles in the parking lot have contraband as well. As far as Academics the teachers are so overwhelmed with over crowding there is no high standards, the motto 'just do what you can, you may or may not pass.' My children suffered from attending this school. If your child is or is not involved in sports there are certain groups of students that are glorified. The atmosphere always seems negative at this school. Of course we as parents have helped them bounce back to the standards they are accustom to.

Posted April 24, 2007

I go to first coast and think it is a horrible school. The academics there are horrible

Posted October 14, 2006

We are new here from another state and I've researched many area high schools. First Coast doesn't rank well and was not my choice. Unfortunately we are stuck due to districting. My daughter is doing well but that's not really saying much. She is not being challenged at all. Only one of her teachers seems to care, also does the Green House administrator. If Duval County schools can produce a Paxon and a Stanton, why can't they share the wealth! Most of the Jacksonville High Schools are average or below average.

Posted September 19, 2006

My son has attended First Coast for his entire high school years; we were very concerned to take him out of an excellent arts magnet school and put him in the local school because of moving to the area. We did want him to develop friendships locally however. Most his teachers have been excellent; we know of one that will make herself available to tutor students on a Saturday to better prepare them for an AP exam. My son has been in chorus since 9th grade; he is a Senior; the chorus program is second to none. The instructor is superb and the chorus is top notch. It is a pleasure to attend their concerts. To see parental involvement in action, the chorus boosters operate a concession at the Jag games. There are about 30-50 parents working hard to support the chorus. A great school.

Posted March 7, 2006

The Academics are average and the availability of the the sports are good.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

580 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

560 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

554 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

581 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "F".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

360 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

374 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

460 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

433 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 13%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music