Jacksonville, FL
Students enrolled: 2,315

Posted September 02, 2014
The Principal of the school, Dr Brennan, received one star for leadership because it will not allow me to leave zero stars. In only half a year, he has taken a school that had just been designated an "A" school and dumped it into the toilet. He has effectively ended all extracurricular activities with the exception of football by requiring the activity leaders to submit written plans for all activities and fundraisers for the year, and then refusing to approve or deny them. The chorus has been bumped from a free event because they did not RSVP in time. They will not have their uniforms in by the scheduled date of their first concert, because they haven't been approved. The male choir and the jazz band have been terminated, for no real explanation. All band classes are now the same, so that juniors and seniors who have played all the way through high school are now stuck in classes with freshmen who don't know which end of their instrument to blow into. He states that he wants to focus on academics, but is obviously so short sighted that he doesn't realize that limiting or eliminating extracurricular activities is going to cause his best students to go elsewhere.

Posted August 21, 2014
I agree with another parent about trying to be involved and getting nowhere with the staff. Last year my son was in 9th grade and I made multiple attempts to meet with the guidance counselor. First two calls went to voice mail, which was full, so I couldn't leave a message. Third call I left a message but never received a phone call in return. Emailed each of his teachers and only received a response from two. One was Luke warm at best, while the other was very supportive. Front office staff is extremely rude when you have questions and they can rarely give you an answer. ROTC is their only saving grace for my child. If your child is highly motivated to get high grades, they will probably be fine. But if your child is like so many other kids, they all not be supported and encouraged and parent involvement seems almost unwelcome.

First Coast High School 4

Posted April 06, 2014
This is an A school. The teachers and students have worked hard to strive for a school grade that reflects the achievements of the students, not public opinion. If you ever really want to know what happens in a school get involved by doing more than complaining and making phone calls, show up for school events or volunteer. Spend some time really getting to know the wonderful students in this school for yourself. Many awards, scholarships (both academic and athletic), industry certifications, early college classes, are all accomplished by the students at this school.

Posted October 24, 2013
I just started attending this school. There are uncertified teachers here who don't know anything. One teacher asked me to correct his mistakes because when I came to the school i knew the concepts. Its the beginning of the second nine weeks and the class is on the 2nd week of school work because the teachers for the class kept quitting. Very unorganized. Kids are disobedient and hinders learning for those who want to.

First Coast High School 1

Posted August 15, 2013
Awful. Extremely disorganized, staff and guidance shows no care, interest, or respect for students, poor teaching that causes problems when taking standardized/AP tests, security guards that show favoritism and allow certain kids to skip classes, a general feeling of incompetence and lack of safety. Not to mention the blatant racial prejudice shown by the staff and majority of students. Overall, awful experience. If you want your child to receive a quality education in a safe environment, this is not the school for them.

First Coast High School 4

Posted August 05, 2013
first coast high school is a wonderful school . but the dress code is wayyyy to strict hopefully that would change this year

Posted August 04, 2013
First Coast High school is a Five Star place of learning. I give the school its stars by the location of the school and the disciplinary of their students. If respect is not present among the staff and student the learning is in vain within our society.

Posted June 18, 2013
First Coast High School is the school that my whole family has graduated from. Everyone says the school is horrible and saying how the teachers don't care, how we fight every day, or how it's not safe. Our teachers do care. I'm going into the 10th grade, and my freshman year was great. The teachers knew we were scared about entering highschool and they did everything they could to help us feel at home. I was in the AP/Honors program and my teachers did everything to help me and other students get ready for my exams and the FCAT. Next, we don't fight every day. We may have a few fights every week but it's not everyday. Wherever you hear that, they're over exaggerating. Another thing, First Coast is one of the safest schools. You can't walk out of a classroom without running into security. They make sure that students are where they're supposed to be. So stop putting the school down, and learn the truth. Just because our grade is bad, doesn't mean it's a bad school. First Coast is like home to a lot of students, especially me. The faculty are like parents and care for the students. Send your child to First Coast and have them join the family, they'll love it and so will you.

Posted April 17, 2013
First Coast is a wonderful school! Teachers care about their students, and want them to succeed. There are bad apples at any school, don't let that 1% prevent your child from attending one of the best schools in Duval County!

First Coast High School 1

Posted January 22, 2013
I wouldn't suggest this school to my worst enemy. I have talked to guidance counselors who were clueless. All this school is concerned with is winning football games. They could careless about the children's education, although I have met with some teachers who long to do more but can't. The classrooms are overcrowded and some of the teachers are only there to collect a paycheck. My daughter did her freshman year in HS in Illinois and due to having to relocate because of my job, my daughter's experience in high school has taken a turn for the worse and as a parent who is much involved with my children's education. I am highly disappointed. My daughter completed her 9th grade in Illinois, came to First Coast and they still registered her in the 9th grade when she was suppose to be in 10th and haven't fixed it yet as they said they would and she is suppose to be entering her senior year. This mess is crazy!

First Coast High School
590 Duval Station Road, Jacksonville, FL  32218
Last modified First Coast High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
First Coast High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 81 reviews. Top