Darnell Cookman Middle/High School

Public | 6-12 | 1166 students

Posted March 18, 2010

When i first came here, i thought it was the best school ever! but time has passed & a lot has changed! For one thing, the high school basically took all the middle school freedom! i'm in the 8th grade and i always looked forward to this year so i can act like i'm the head of this school but the high school just messes it up. They take all our dances and we have to share our activities with them which isn't fair. The school is soo boring right now that it doesn't make no since! We dont even get a pep rally 4 FCAT! :( but if i was writing this 3 years ago i would give it 5 stars

Posted February 27, 2010

This school is somewhat a good school. I am :} that our school has a high school but they made it bad for the middle school kids. We now don't have a nice good track or field and also no tennis court. I will not be attending the high school next year because the fact is, now its just now building up, but I would want to stay because of the medical program. Also this school have some good teachers but some teachers have to be more involved with the students instead they just give them loads of work.Overall this is a good school but need some improvement.

Posted February 23, 2010

My son is in 6th grade valients team. Teachers are the best and in particular Dr. davis of world history and Mr. Gefen of pre algebra are the best teachers. Regularly, I cross check with teaching method, teachers involvement and attitude of other magnet middle schools in Duval county and I must say that we took right decision to put my son in Darnell-cookman. The school has great decipline as compare to other middle schools and it is much more easy to communicate through email with all teachers, parents co-ordinator and office staff. So far my experince goes, this is the best magnet middle school in Duval county (no doubt).

Posted November 16, 2009

I graduated from this school last year. I was on the gifted team for the 3 years I attended that school and I was in the medical program. Most of the teachers were phenomenal. There was at least one teacher a year that had corrupted ways of teaching but all the teachers were very friendly and willing to help with anything. From personal experience, I have to say the 8th grade Runics team was by far my favorite. As for the medical program, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I acquired so much knowledge in that class. One overall flaw with the school is that it doesn't prepare you for high school as well as they claim to. Overall an amazing school with an exceptional medical program.

Posted October 17, 2009

I'm an 8th grade student at darnell cookman. I have found this school to be very good. the school challenges you, and the medical program is great. I myself is in the medical program. I do plan to go to darnell for highschool because the school is affiliated with shands, which is affiliated with UF and UF has already told teachers they want students from darnell. I love this school and the sports are good, clubs are fun, and the after school program 'team-up' is really great if you need tutoring in a subject!

Posted October 8, 2009

I am a gifted student at this school and I luv it! My dad is an 8th grade gifted geometry teacher here. My only prob is the homework. Too much sometimes! But, other than that, the school rocks! :-D

Posted October 5, 2009

Darnell Cookman is a medical magnet that offers children a great introduction to the medical field.

Posted August 26, 2009

i love theschool ad mr.betancort hes th best im in 6 grade and made friend at first sight lol i love it here you will to hopefully its the best one ever

Posted August 24, 2009

This school has very poor communication skills between the parents & teachers. When my daughter was in the sixth grade, there were school notes that we could use to monitor their assignments. In seventh grade, parents had to chase after teachers just to communicate. For all the kids who are presently attending there, good luck. I am placing my daughter in a better enviroment.

Posted January 26, 2009

My children enjoy this school but it is not what it is made out to be. I have been very disappointed in the communication. Issues that I believe to need attention must not be important to the vice principal or teachers because I have not heard from the ones I have tried to contact. It is very frustrating. Some teachers are excellent. Others are quite disorganized and not interested in parent involvement. Communication with teachers is difficult because some use email, others don't. Some used school notes, some don't. Some have emails at the duvals schools site while others are still on dreams begin here. It is frustrating for parents who are used to enjoying easy access to teachers and administration. The athletic facilities are poor and the coaching is questionable. They offer many clubs, but the activity bus takes 2 hours to drop my kids near home. Ridiculous.

Posted January 21, 2009

For gifted students only: i'm a sixth grade student and i'm in gifted. This school is really fun. The work is hard and there is allot of homework, but we do fun experiments and we have viking days (viking days are days when classes are 30 min. And at the end of the day we just hang out with friends). The teachers are really nice and they all have different personalities so your bound to like one of them. Mrs.Looper is really fun, you'll love her.

Posted January 5, 2009

Extremely poor communication, teachers habitually do not return parent calls. What a disappointment!!!

Posted December 16, 2008

well i graduated from this school last year. and god it's changed a lot lately. now it's considered SoMA (school of medical arts) but when i went there it was just an advanced/gifted school. all in all, the school's okay i guess... some teachers may get on your nerves and not teach you as much, but when you get to high school, you'll miss them. trust me. sorry to say it, but i dont think that this school really prepares you for high school as much as they emphasized it would. but it's still good to go to because it will look good on your college applications.

Posted November 14, 2008

This School is not so Good that is my opinion

Posted October 22, 2008

I love this school! i am in the 8th grade gifted program, and i think that i have learned beyond what i thought i could learn. It has become my home away from home, and darnell cookman pushes me to work harder and better. This is an excellent choice of middle school if you are willing to work hard enough :)

Posted October 17, 2008

This school is amazing! I'm on the Gifted Runics Team, and I am very appreciative of my teachers, Mr. Douthett (Science), Ms. Stansel (US History), Ms. Bolton (French), Mrs. Clancy (English), and Mr. Felice (Geometry). They are unbelievable. Also, Mrs. Looper, a teacher for the 6th grade Eagles, is phenomonal. She is probably the most hard-working teacher alive. She does so much for her students. I absolutely love this school, and it has prepared me for life and college. Next year, I am going to be attending Stanton, in the IB program, because of this wonderful school that pushed me to the limit in the gifted program.

Posted October 16, 2008

My son is a gifted SOMA student at Cookman. from preschool to third grade he attended private school and was taught with the Beka system. Public school has been a challenge for him in certain subjects but he is finally starting to get comfortable. His writing skills have vastly improved. The teachers are awesome. He's on the Eagles team and I really appreciate the communication between Teacher and parents. When I got his first Progress Report I almost fainted, but his teachers are very helpful and concerned enough to help identify his deficiencies and offer tips on improving his grades. I utilize phone calls, emails and Schoolnotes.com. I am very pleased with the group of teachers that my son have. I give this school and the administrative staff Five stars. Submitted by a parent

Posted September 15, 2008

I'm currently an 8th grade student at Darnell, and I have to admit really didn't like it Darnell in 6th grade. I guess it was just the change of schools, not knowing anyone, and I had some personal problems at home as well. But, coming back to 7th grade was AWESOME and of course I was a Wolf (best team in the world). My teachers Ms.Parker, Ms.Heaton, Mrs.Dellacrosse, and Mr.Pullen all prepared me greatly for eighth grade I am having barely any difficulties and I owe it to them. The only thing I would have to say about Darnell is people gossip...ALOT and it can really be annoying. Most of the students are nice you just really have to get to know them. The students are really helpful if you ask them how to do a problem they'll gladly help you, if not the teachers have tutoring at least once a week.

Posted September 4, 2008

My son has been attending this school and I must say, I am so dissapointed. We moved here a few years ago and every since I feel like we have been misled by these schools including magnet schools. First coast sent my son a brochure inviting him to join the AVID program when he was in the eighth grade. I was so happy because we were at a magnet school and had applied to Paxon but got put on a waiting list which meant he would have to attend his neighborhood school which was FCH, well he had to apply for this program and month's later we recieved a letter stating that he had been excepted we were so happy. The program was supposed to be for students who were college bound but needed help organizational skills and study habits. Tutors, College tours was suppose to be provided but that didn't

Posted June 17, 2008

This school is Excellent!!!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

21 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

274 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

137 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

256 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

n/a

n/a

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

244 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

163 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

247 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

236 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

74 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

264 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

180 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

187 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Cafeteria