1,223 students|Duval

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Disagree

when you are in highschool you just dont go to school you work to so i think there is to much home work givinin

I really like this school. I'm in 8th grade and this is my first year. The reason I enjoy this school is because of the teachers and clubs. The teachers are rigorously involved in trying to provide you with the most knowledge possible. The teachers are very patient with the children. They also offer tutoring and/or extra credit. The clubs they have include Key Club, GSA, and Stitch Club etc. They embrace everyone, regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation. Some of the notable teachers include Mr. Sowell, Mrs. Rowan, Mrs. Magby, and Mr. Pickens. Some warnings for newcomers of the 8th grade; Mr. Pickens yells a lot so do not test him, Ms. Rankin doesn't put in grades, and work hard in Mrs. Magby's class!

This school so fun we be turnt but the teachers keep us on track i in the 6th grade and there's so much for us to do but its one teacher who told us"if i put ya'll in a box i don't know if you'll be able to get out and she's always in our face yelling the teachers can be harsh but they all have a good side TURN UP

I really enjoy attending this school. I have been here for 2 years and it's soooo much better than my previous school. I have made several friends and I feel very safe here. The teachers are very nice, and I know the school work is harder but they are preparing me for college!

very rigorous and impossible to pass unless you have lots of time to study and the necessary dedication to pass.

Your child must have the ability and maturity to learn on his/her own and keep up with the fast-paced workload. I finally will be pulling them next year, going to either private or a charter school. Unfortunately it has declined over the years. There are some major issues that need resolution. It just does not have the ability to provide an education for children anymore. To be honest, I think the school is putting more effort on a fake reputation, then the education and development of the children. My children have said for a long time that when visitors come to inspect what is going on they have to act as if nothing is wrong. With the increase of violence, lack of guidance, ridiculous class sizes (70+ students in the electives, I am not exaggerating!) and a large amount of students failing this school does not get my recommendation anymore. It is sad as they really have a great program for the medical arts. Please do your research, call the school board, ask about the dropout rate or how many students request to go back to their neighborhood schools. You would be shocked. These are not students that are unintelligent, etc. Many go from 4.0 GPAs to failing.

Not exactly the best school ever, although perhaps good compared to some other schools. Some of the teachers are alright, but others either don't teach or don't seem to care. A lot of the better teachers and staff are leaving, though, and DC needs more clubs and the such. Also, to me there is too much focus on "medical" (so that students are watching bloody surgeries in 7th grade) and not enough on other aspects, which is why DC can't ever get past JWJ in competitions. Some of the teachers can be nice, though some of the kids aren't so great. That said, some of the kids and some of the teachers are also good, though DC isn't as good as I wanted it to be. And though it might not be the best school, there's still separation between Gifted and other students, and it has a magnet program, and it's still better than a lot of schools. It may be easier than JWJ for the middle school, though there aren't as many opportunities. There are also fewer sports available, and not as much school spirit as I'd like to see, perhaps because many of the people aren't being satisfied.

As a sixth grader starting school I really don't like the school it has bully it is just not a good school to go to for a sixth grade to start I just don't like the school I hate Darnell Cookman. Teachers don't keep track of time makes us late for our. Next class. Unprofessionalism.

As a 9th grader at Darnell Cookman , i believe it's not such a bad school at all. Some people are complaining saying the teachers give too much work , well yeah i agree but do you realize every homework they give us , if you do it right , it's good for you . You succeeding at that school ensures you that you'll have a successful future. Some kids are complaining about how the high the high schoolers ruin the experience but i strongly disagree. If you don't step on their way and just go to your classes on time , then you don't have time for them to be 'bullying' you. Another thing , some complain about the teachers. As of now My teachers are Mr.percy (AP human geo) , he's alright. He gives you notes to take and if you do it right ,you will succeed in his class . The only teacher i don't like is mrs.roche and thats because she doesn't teach anything . She gives you classwork ,you do it ,GOOD !, you have a test next period. Anyways , Darnell cookman Is awesome , i mean , if you want an awesome future , then you'll love it

this school is cool ..I am a student at darnell and its a litte hard but there are people that help u like teachers and friends .

Last modified Darnell Cookman Middle/High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.