385 students|Duval
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

High performing charter school by Florida Department of Education Florida School of Excellence for new standards readiness by PCG and Florida Department of Education Florida State Science Olympiad Champion School STEM initiative member in first coast
August 23, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

My child attends RCSA, was fine for a few years, Honor roll and everything, we even enjoyed the school, but that changed quick.The amount of homework my poor child has is insane. I spend tons of time helping and sometimes it still isn't enough.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Good communication with parents. Principal and other administratives are approachable, and always around at events and awards ceremonies.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Just seems like too much homework time, especially if the parent works or the kid has an extracurricular or two. It's not too terrible for first grade, but I know it's only going to get worse. Maybe some should be optional for those that need to catch up.

My child is in his second year at this school. Both of his teachers have been wonderful. There is good communication - between the Dojo app and the agenda that does back and forth from home to school with the kids provides a great opportunity, although I understand that some teachers do not use the app as much as others, and it may take a day or two to get a response. Extended day is affordable, although I don't plan on using it until next year. I do think that there is too much homework, luckily his teacher gives him the week and weekend to complete the computer part. I do love all of the STEM activities that my son does that are engaging and fun. I also like the small class sizes here (18-19 for K and 1st grade) and that it's a smaller school that provides a sense of community. Not all the charters have buses, but I am grateful that this one does. Staff always seems very caring towards the kids.

I have two daughters in this school and both are excelling. The teachers and administration put forth a noticeable effort to see that all students have the best chance to succeed.

RCSA Elementary has an amazing administration and wonderful teachers. Thanks to the classdojo app that is used by the entire school, I can communicate with my child's teachers and other staff members. They are constantly posting pictures and current events. The teachers set very high standards for their students- if you are a parent who complains about the amount of homework given or projects, this school is not for your child. Discipline is tough but fair and the principal is always welcoming to parents who need extra help with using their online systems.

River City Science Academy Elementary School offers a rigorous program for parents who are looking for a little bit more. This school encourages kids to work hard and achieve high. Some parents won't like that, but I do. I want my child to be challenged and yet feel supported. This school does that.

River City Science Academy Elementary is an average school. My child has been attending this school for the last 3yrs. The first two years there were really no issues no complaints on my behalf. But now my child is into his third year and there are some issue. So parents please take note, observe and make your own assessment's about this school, as some things have changed dramatically. For starters at the beginning of the school year, Aug 2016, all of the kids were given a state sponsored assessment test, to see what level they are at. To be honest, this is unfair, as most kids just got back from a short 2.5 month summer recess and their minds are not yet ready to take an assessment test soo quickly. As a result most if not some kids did poorly in these tests, and got placed in lower levels than what they truly are at or at the grade they are attending at. You can thank Common Core for that!!! My child got placed at a much lower level than the current grade they are attending at. Second, at the start of the school year, my child could not remember, their SLA account pin to get lunch. I kept asking both the home room teacher and even the assistant principal to the principal herself, when the kids will get their SLA pins and they all said the same thing, that the home room teacher will give it out soon. 2 months went by and no pin. Had I not packed a lunch box for my child they would have starved. It was not until I logged onto the SLA website, that I was able to retrieve my child's pin. Thank you sooo much RCSAE staff for acting soo quickly-NOT!!! Third, homework! Oooh my God! The homework that is given is insane, literally!! These kids have no time to be kids at home because of the insane amount of home work! Not to mention that at times, the homework given is not clear in directions and the websites that these kids are told to access to do their home work, often don't work or are soliciting that you sign up and pay a fee, just so that your child can read a book that was covered in class!!! Often times it creates an insane amount of work that the parents have to do(a lot of online work ), with their children at home. This home work can take up to 2 -3 hours per night to do. Insane!! Again this might be something that is being driven by both the staff at RCSAE and Common Core requirements. Again, parents beware, observe, take notes and report!!

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

My kid was accused of bullying, yet when I pressed the teacher for more details as to what occurred, I got no response!!! Really???? How do you expect a parent to talk to their kids or discipline them if we have no facts to back up or support our justification for discipline???

Effective school leaders: Disagree

There seems to be a serious lack of parent-teacher-principal communication. Everything is directed via the Class Dojo app. good luck trying to walk in and asking to speak to the principal or teacher. You need an act of Congress for this to happen!!

Last modified River City Science Elementary Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.