Public charter
Jacksonville, FL
Students enrolled: 1,286

Posted February 26, 2015
My youngest son attends DCSB and my older attends DCHS which are housed at the same location. Do yourself a favor if you have a child with disability - RUN!!!! They would rather give your child detention, in-school suspension, or out-of-school suspension (which really is their aim - to not have "problem children" in their school) than to provide real accommodations. They call you to tell you when your child with ADHD is in trouble for talking too much or getting out of their seat or anything they are punishing them for, but never call for a good report. They give lunch detention if your kid's shirt isn't all the way tucked. Our head football coach was let go after he's been with these kids for three years NOT OVER CHARACTER. The school has always been a little strict but that has been heightened to the tenth degree under Stidham and the kids get in trouble for almost anything. The school does not provide transportation for sports, there is no gym, dual-enrollment is no longer available, the teacher turnover rate is high so your kids may develop bonds with teachers then lose them quickly, and they have 8 periods but only 7 count for grades. Choose another school! #OurLastYear

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 4

Posted February 12, 2015
The first few years at this school were wonderful. This year started out rough with a new principal. I think a lot of families were very unhappy. I believe a good school is a combination of both academic and an experience. Some of the programs were cut but with some complaints the principal has brought back choir. I think she realizes the need for more front office parking and is hopefully acting on adding more parking spaces. They are still fundraising for a playground so hopefully the kids will get that very soon, next year? The principal has said there is no room for a gym but I'm also hoping over the years they can make a place for one or move the school to a location that will house all the extras other schools offer. My kids all love their teachers this year and that's a big plus. Over the years I hope they make the changes this school needs in order to make it great for its upcoming high school students.

Posted February 05, 2015
I agree with the other post about the lack of leadership for the 2014-2015 school year. My child has been at DCSB since 5th grade and we use to Love this school, however THIS year it as all changed. Not sure what my child is learning, teachers are dropping like flies and the new principle is running this school into the ground. Kids can't use certain restrooms, they are being monitored in the restrooms. The kids are not getting the overall school experience and learning environment that use to be present while Ms. Brown was the principle. The overall feeling of school pride and family is gone this year. Kids seem less involved this year. We were so happy when our son got in to DCSB for 5th grade thinking he would be able to stay at the same school for high school and graduate, but we are really re-thinking about him staying for high school since they no longer have the dual enrollment for college and the high school is lacking in so many ways. Charter School USA needs to decide if they want to have a high school and if so they need to get off their butts and make the facilities at DCSB a school. BUILD A GYM, get a place were the school can come together.
4 people found this helpful

Posted February 03, 2015
Last year my children enjoy going to school, this year not so much. They are asking to go back to public school. They dislike the new principal. Mrs. Brown was very involved with the students as well as their parents. The students have no relationship with the new principal and they never see her at the school. I feel like my children's education is starting to suffer due to the teacher turn over at this school. My middle school student has lost two teachers this year alone and my high school student has lost 4. This is unacceptable and these students need structure and positive praises. Instead they are getting detention every time you turn around. The rules are becoming so strict and the students are feeling defeated. My children are asking me to seek an alternative school for next year. I was very please last year and would love to continue them at DCSB but if things dont change I will not be re-enrolling them again for the next year. We are our children's voice and need to speak up on the issues our children are coming home talking to us about. Please dont think your child is the only child failing to succeed.
5 people found this helpful

Posted December 07, 2014
I agree with the newer posts. This used to be a great. It's completely different. Both of my children have had great teachers leave after they were acclimated to their teaching styles. The sports provision is minimum. It seems for your children to get that rounded education, you must be a stay at home parent as most sports training is conducted off campus. The friendliness of the staff is mixed. While everyone seemed happy prior to this year it seems oppressive. The pricing for after school care makes this school comparable to private school tuition and is incredibly high at 15.00 day for after school care. we are searching for a different school for our children next year.
10 people found this helpful

Posted November 24, 2014
I completely agree with the most recent post about how the school has changed and gone down hill. with the first principal, ms. brown who started this school, she was very visible and WANTED parents in the school all the time, earning their volunteer hours. ms. stidham has made it very clear, she wants parents out of the school. she screams at the students and they hate her. when asked, "how can we earn our volunteer hours if we're not allowed in the school to work" and it was relayed to us, "you can buy your volunteer hours" really? wow! how rude!
10 people found this helpful

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 2

Posted November 04, 2014
If I had posted a review of DCSB a year or two ago, I'd have given the school a 5. Unfortunately, the school has taken a turn for the worse since last spring, when the former principal began splitting her time between three jobs instead of focusing on our school. This year, corporate hired an experienced principal whose sole job was DCSB. Things should have gotten better. Instead, things have gotten worse. The new principal seems to dislike or disagree with the mission of the school (which relies on volunteers and encourages parent involvement), and she started the year by alienating volunteers and making parent-teacher communication more difficult. Many teachers have been fired or have left. The school hired a disorganized, rude guidance counselor who left after only three weeks (her departure was a mixed blessing, to say the least!). There was no communication to parents about her departure, parents had no idea how to get guidance services, and there was no guidance counselor in the HS for more than two months. HS students feel babied because they are treated like the elementary kids, parents feel ignored, and teachers are leaving. What more is there to say?
9 people found this helpful

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 5

Posted September 03, 2014
First school since I moved to Jacksonville to acutally make kids learn spelling by doing spelling test and sentences, first school to not discrimate because she is not from Jacksonville, I am very happy, I am not happy about the pick up yet or that parents are not interested in car pooling.

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 5

Posted August 17, 2014
To the person who just complained about duval charter at baymeadows. First of all, didn't you choose to send your children there? You were not forced to have your children attend this school. If you don't like it, leave and let the parents who are on the waiting list have an opportunity to send their children there. You are just part of the problem, and not a very involved parent if you are not offering or providing solutions. This is an EXCELLENT school and like all new schools, is still going through some new school growth and adjustments. The schedules are up and this was not a school issue, but a corporate one. It is not uncommon for teachers to leave schools for one reason or another, but for the most part, duval charter teachers have remained since the school opened. I am very proud to be a part of the duval charter school family along with many other parents and children. I am here to support my school and not degrade it.

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 2

Posted June 23, 2014
Not completely happy with this school. I will never forget them saying they run this school like a business hmmm. I moved both of my children to this school in 2014. I was not given all the information needed for my children to catch up so several times they missed out or were given a lower grade because of it. There were other issues but too many to name. The principal was awesome and followed up with me same day when my daughter was being bullied. But she has left the school. The teachers do not all seem to care .that s how it is in a business I guess here to get my check. One child loved it and the other did not and is transferring. In all honesty they have a way to go in organization and personal skills but I think that the office staff is great!

Duval Charter At Baymeadows
7510 Baymeadows Way, Jacksonville, FL  32256
Last modified Duval Charter At Baymeadows is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Duval Charter At Baymeadows Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top