Duval Charter At Baymeadows 2

Posted November 04, 2014
If I had posted a review of DCSB a year or two ago, I'd have given the school a 5. Unfortunately, the school has taken a turn for the worse since last spring, when the former principal began splitting her time between three jobs instead of focusing on our school. This year, corporate hired an experienced principal whose sole job was DCSB. Things should have gotten better. Instead, things have gotten worse. The new principal seems to dislike or disagree with the mission of the school (which relies on volunteers and encourages parent involvement), and she started the year by alienating volunteers and making parent-teacher communication more difficult. Many teachers have been fired or have left. The school hired a disorganized, rude guidance counselor who left after only three weeks (her departure was a mixed blessing, to say the least!). There was no communication to parents about her departure, parents had no idea how to get guidance services, and there was no guidance counselor in the HS for more than two months. HS students feel babied because they are treated like the elementary kids, parents feel ignored, and teachers are leaving. What more is there to say?

Posted October 27, 2014
the parents here, especially the August 17th post are either over-zealous or delusional! I know for a fact Charter has had more teachers leave in 4 years then any other public school. Not sure where you get your information. I volunteered and worked in the office so I was privy to this information. As far as your comment about us having the choice of sending our children there. Yes, we all had a choice and we all went to the informational meetings, curriculum nights, parent-teacher conferences, etc. it was smoke and mirrors! Complete over promises and under delieveries! And for me being a part of the problem and not the solution, I beg to differ. Many parents just like me drove to Corporate to advocate for our children with ideas and suggestions. Their answer was simply stated, "This school isn't for everyone. We have a wait list and the school is full. Until we can't fill seats, is when we will stop and listen to improve. Until then, we're fine". In addition, my senior daughter stated that they started off with 75 seniors and they are leaving in droves. they are down to 55. If this isn't a wake up call to "stop and listen to improve" then I don't know what is. Good Luck!

Posted August 17, 2014
To the person who just complained about duval charter at baymeadows. First of all, didn't you choose to send your children there? You were not forced to have your children attend this school. If you don't like it, leave and let the parents who are on the waiting list have an opportunity to send their children there. You are just part of the problem, and not a very involved parent if you are not offering or providing solutions. This is an EXCELLENT school and like all new schools, is still going through some new school growth and adjustments. The schedules are up and this was not a school issue, but a corporate one. It is not uncommon for teachers to leave schools for one reason or another, but for the most part, duval charter teachers have remained since the school opened. I am very proud to be a part of the duval charter school family along with many other parents and children. I am here to support my school and not degrade it.

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 4

Posted April 11, 2014
I'm going to be honest...is this school perfect....No. But I dare you to find me one that is. EVERY school has bad teachers, every school has fights ( even christian schools) every school has it's ups and downs. This school is at least striving for excellence. When my oldest was in our neighborhood school, there were multiple teachers that just came to work to ride out their time until retirement. They colored everyday in 7th grade! At DSCB, Ms. Brown will give those teachers the exit slip pretty quick. In regards to bullying, that is everywhere too ( unfortunately).I wish to GOD parents would parent their children to have respect for others! When we did have an incident, they pulled the camera footage from the cafeteria and was able to see and know exactly what happened and all parties where dealt with quickly. Ms. Brown is a very strong leader and the office staff has always been helpful to me. Even when there was a dismissal problem, they were willing to listen to parent input and even changed the whole procedure based on a parents suggestion. That would never happen in regular public school. Ms. Brown is ALWAYS open to any idea that can make life at DSCB better for everyone!

Posted April 02, 2014
Love this school so good with kids and tons of activities to get parental involvement!!

Posted March 24, 2014
It is a great school. My son started here in 2013 and he likes it very much so far. Teachers are good. Excellent parent involvement.

Posted March 13, 2014
If i could give this school a negative 10 I would.. Worst mistake of my life putting my kid here!! The administration bullies your kid with disabilities worse than the kids who push them down (which they do nothing about). And they are quick to get rid of them for a few days just so they do not have to deal with your kid.. whos grades are good and behavior is getting better THEY DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THEIR CHECK in the front office. Principal to Dean and their Asst Principal is aweful to. Do yourself a favor and save yourself the headache of dealing with this school and putting your child in danger

Posted February 24, 2014
This school is awful. I am a very involved parent with a child in 8th and 9th grade this year. Roughly 10 students have left mid-year this year because the parents pulled them early and sent them to Mandarin. Several more families plan to move there kids for high school next year. Instagram photos are constantly posted of kids and teachers while in class, photos of kids kissing while in class and "twerking". Feels just like public school, kids love it for obvious reasons. Very disappointing when compared to other Charter schools and other charter associations around the state.

Posted February 01, 2014
DCSB is a great school, our kids have attended for three years and have had amazing teachers, this is a high expectation school. The principal is amazing and parental involvement is required. AAA++++ school and I highly recommend it!

Posted January 23, 2014
The teachers and administration is this school is a good drama team. The all work together starting from the car line to the classroom to trouble the child and delay their dismissal and the P.E coaches go to any extent to hurt the child and the parents in turn. They have a lot of flaws in the system.

Duval Charter At Baymeadows
7510 Baymeadows Way, Jacksonville, FL  32256
Last modified Duval Charter At Baymeadows is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Duval Charter At Baymeadows Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top