1,276 students|Duval

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted December 23, 2015
They are transient and too scared of the new principle to be effective. It's totally different than the first 3 years. Students and learning are no longer priority. Staying under the principles radar is. Most of the wonderful teachers have fled under new principle. Students are no longer encouraged.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted December 23, 2015
Mine included but most parents say their kids finish homework if there is any in 5-10 minutes in the car on the ride home from school. Most days there is no homework and little teacher communication this year.

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 3

Posted December 23, 2015
The review below has been changed by the writer from 5 stars to 3 stars. The school is now in decline since the new principle. Morale is at an all time low including Teachers, students, parents. No hopes or growth anymore just No's from the new principle. Will be moving soon HS is a mess, students are not priority anymore! My 2 wnt a high rated public elem. but emphasis not on kids, jst getting thru lessons,test Fri. & moving on, u got it or didn't,too bad no time to waste.Even teacher said I don't hve time mke students get it. didnt even knw who's principle she showed up to give certs.end of year.I found DCSB @ opening & principle said "not worried about FCAT we dn't teach to the FCAT,we teach ur child & "focus" on them,then they'll hve whts needed to pass FCAT" I knew its the right faculty.it's working both my kids hve good school moral better than ever & learn more,not just skim basics then I hve to pay for high outside tutoring,make up the difference.Prinicple is so involved you notice if gone frm halls,car park an event but she has it together with a wonderful staff ! I love fact teacher,staff aren't stagnit in their positions or growth,opportunities mke sure even teachers,staff r where they need be in order keep school improving & everyone upbeat DEDICATED! potential is recognized,nurtured.I feel teachers here hve best moral of anywhere.No more I'm here 20 yrs,not getting it done, oh well.There's no average here ALL students r nurtured to "their" highest potential no matter wht level that is.

Posted December 10, 2015
As a student of this school I can agree with the other reviews. Plus in my grade we have been losing teachers for core classes for a little bit over a month. This school is a sin for other significant reasons. Distrees signal ended.

Posted September 15, 2015
This charter school is nothing but broken promises! The kids have no playground and play on the parking lot asphalt. All these fundraisers and the amount of money they get per child from Duval county and you can not get a playground but I have seen 5 new charter schools open up within 3 years. This is not a school is strictly a greedy business. Charter USA is here for the wealth not the future of our children. The sports facility here is in a rusty building with no doors and you have to walk in mud to get to it. My kids hate attending this prison so in 2016 I will have to loose money on selling my house and downsize to find a decent education in St. Johns County

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 2

Posted May 07, 2015
No dual enrollment. Lack of transportation options. No gym (annoying fundraising then saying there is no room). High teacher turnover. VERY unorganized clubs and sports. I don't feel as though this school appropriately prepares students for college or the real world. Surprisingly. magnet and public schools have better options.

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 4

Posted March 08, 2015
I admit that when the school first open that a gym was suppose to be in place sooner rather than later. Now to hear that there is no room for a gym, was this not known prior to. There has been some ups and downs with the new principle however when a new person comes in changes are made. Sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. This is her first year and we do need to give her chance to grow. We do not know how the coming year will be but for me this school is better than what is in my neighborhood. If you have a better option in yours use it. I wish I did so I would not have to travel so far for my kids to go to school. This is a choice school therefore you do not have to attend. Not to say that to be mean; just stating a fact. Do I agree with every change that has been made, no I don't. That comes with the territory. As far as the high turnover rate, teachers also left when Mrs brown was there to and that's not say that I did not like Mrs brown because I did. I am just stating that certain situations has nothing to do with the principle.

Posted February 26, 2015
My youngest son attends DCSB and my older attends DCHS which are housed at the same location. Do yourself a favor if you have a child with disability - RUN!!!! They would rather give your child detention, in-school suspension, or out-of-school suspension (which really is their aim - to not have "problem children" in their school) than to provide real accommodations. They call you to tell you when your child with ADHD is in trouble for talking too much or getting out of their seat or anything they are punishing them for, but never call for a good report. They give lunch detention if your kid's shirt isn't all the way tucked. Our head football coach was let go after he's been with these kids for three years NOT OVER CHARACTER. The school has always been a little strict but that has been heightened to the tenth degree under Stidham and the kids get in trouble for almost anything. The school does not provide transportation for sports, there is no gym, dual-enrollment is no longer available, the teacher turnover rate is high so your kids may develop bonds with teachers then lose them quickly, and they have 8 periods but only 7 count for grades. Choose another school! #OurLastYear

Duval Charter At Baymeadows 4

Posted February 12, 2015
The first few years at this school were wonderful. This year started out rough with a new principal. I think a lot of families were very unhappy. I believe a good school is a combination of both academic and an experience. Some of the programs were cut but with some complaints the principal has brought back choir. I think she realizes the need for more front office parking and is hopefully acting on adding more parking spaces. They are still fundraising for a playground so hopefully the kids will get that very soon, next year? The principal has said there is no room for a gym but I'm also hoping over the years they can make a place for one or move the school to a location that will house all the extras other schools offer. My kids all love their teachers this year and that's a big plus. Over the years I hope they make the changes this school needs in order to make it great for its upcoming high school students.

Posted February 05, 2015
I agree with the other post about the lack of leadership for the 2014-2015 school year. My child has been at DCSB since 5th grade and we use to Love this school, however THIS year it as all changed. Not sure what my child is learning, teachers are dropping like flies and the new principle is running this school into the ground. Kids can't use certain restrooms, they are being monitored in the restrooms. The kids are not getting the overall school experience and learning environment that use to be present while Ms. Brown was the principle. The overall feeling of school pride and family is gone this year. Kids seem less involved this year. We were so happy when our son got in to DCSB for 5th grade thinking he would be able to stay at the same school for high school and graduate, but we are really re-thinking about him staying for high school since they no longer have the dual enrollment for college and the high school is lacking in so many ways. Charter School USA needs to decide if they want to have a high school and if so they need to get off their butts and make the facilities at DCSB a school. BUILD A GYM, get a place were the school can come together.

7510 Baymeadows Way, Jacksonville, FL  32256
Last modified Duval Charter At Baymeadows is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.