PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My ex wife coerced me into enrolling our sons in this school and I am certain that the antiquated teaching methods have been dragging them down. Kids need a secular education in today's world, not a curriculum in fairy tales and irrelevant dogma. Add to that a woefully ignorant staff and a parent-school cloud-based communication platform that doesn't work, and you get a complete cluster of an organization.

I attended St Joe's from Kindergarten till 8th grade. The expectations for students are very high and the school work can be demanding. Going into high school, I was very well prepared and found myself more advanced academically than many other freshman. However, I didn't find myself to be advanced socially. St Joseph shelters you and some teachers can choose favorites. Certain members of the administration were friends with certain teachers and they could be cliquey; the administration would not listen to the students when a problem arose. Overall, the atmosphere was positive among my peers and my best friends from St Joe's are still my best friends today. Academically, the school should be considered an A school; however, if this review was done based off of other subjects, the school should be considered a C school...

The administration at the school is lacking. A change in leadership is long overdue. The school is not run in a professional manner. Petty grudges are held by administrators and the children are made to suffer.

What is telling is that according to this website, there are 191 rated private elementary or middle schools within 60 miles of Mandarin and St. Joseph's is ranked #173 according to the community ratings. That is within the bottom 10% and by far the lowest rating for a Catholic school. Obviously this isn't scientific but it is telling and reflective of our family's experience at the school.

There is severe problem in the administration at St. Joseph's and it is killing a once great school. One common thread I see in most of the negative comments is a lack of leadership from the school administration and I have to agree. There seems to be a culture at the school that tolerates bullying, both by students and sometimes even faculty. Many of the teachers are excellent, many are not -- which is probably typical for any school, public/private/religious. However, at St. Joseph's nothing is done to the "bad" apples. Given the overall negative rating of St. Joseph's compared to other similar schools in the city, I know I am not alone with my thoughts. I have to believe the bad to good teacher/administrator ratio is much higher than at other schools.

This school is horrible. No values what so ever. It's all about the cash at St. Joseph. If you don't donate a lot you're treated like garbage and your kids will be bullied because of it. My daughter had been bullied at St. Joes, and when it was reported to the principal Rhonda Rose she laughed in my face and did nothing about it. I would not recommend anyone sending their children here unless they have big bucks to donate.

I like how when there's a negative comment posted a positive one appears,. Perhaps it's fake?

My daughter is a graduate of St. Joseph Catholic School, and she is doing beautifully in high school. She is in the top 10% of her class at Bishop Kenny High School, where St. Joe's grads are always recognized as excelling in math and science. She learned great study habits and organizational skills, and she is an excellent writer. The junior high teachers at St. Joe's are demanding and there's a lot of work done, but it is so worth it when the students get to high school. It's a great place to be, and the parents are very involved throughout the day.

We can not give enough praise for this school and we are so fortunate that our child has attended for the past two years. We look forward to her continuing her education there. The faculty, staff and principle have been wonderful and the teachers are outstanding!!!

Wow so surprised to read these negative reviews. I typically find some parents will not be happy anywhere their children go. Both my kids went to St. Jo's and we were extremely happy with the education there with the exception of how my children wrote papers. Found they were ill prepared for Bishop Kenny only in that area. We were a middle class family who worked hard and gave up an awful lot to send our children to a private school as my parents did. My daughter to this day will say she can always tell a public school educated person in college from a private schooled person and thanks us often for her education. I volunteered as often as I could to be involved in my kids education, but I too worked. No one school, church, neighborhood etc. is perfect but I found for 11 years caring and dedicated teachers and staff there and am so happy we chose that school. Lisa Freo

Last modified St Joseph Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8