Posted June 05, 2014
What is telling is that according to this website, there are 191 rated private elementary or middle schools within 60 miles of Mandarin and St. Joseph's is ranked #173 according to the community ratings. That is within the bottom 10% and by far the lowest rating for a Catholic school. Obviously this isn't scientific but it is telling and reflective of our family's experience at the school.

Posted May 12, 2014
There is severe problem in the administration at St. Joseph's and it is killing a once great school. One common thread I see in most of the negative comments is a lack of leadership from the school administration and I have to agree. There seems to be a culture at the school that tolerates bullying, both by students and sometimes even faculty. Many of the teachers are excellent, many are not -- which is probably typical for any school, public/private/religious. However, at St. Joseph's nothing is done to the "bad" apples. Given the overall negative rating of St. Joseph's compared to other similar schools in the city, I know I am not alone with my thoughts. I have to believe the bad to good teacher/administrator ratio is much higher than at other schools.

Posted April 28, 2014
This school is horrible. No values what so ever. It's all about the cash at St. Joseph. If you don't donate a lot you're treated like garbage and your kids will be bullied because of it. My daughter had been bullied at St. Joes, and when it was reported to the principal Rhonda Rose she laughed in my face and did nothing about it. I would not recommend anyone sending their children here unless they have big bucks to donate.

Posted April 03, 2014
I like how when there's a negative comment posted a positive one appears,. Perhaps it's fake?

Posted April 01, 2014
My daughter is a graduate of St. Joseph Catholic School, and she is doing beautifully in high school. She is in the top 10% of her class at Bishop Kenny High School, where St. Joe's grads are always recognized as excelling in math and science. She learned great study habits and organizational skills, and she is an excellent writer. The junior high teachers at St. Joe's are demanding and there's a lot of work done, but it is so worth it when the students get to high school. It's a great place to be, and the parents are very involved throughout the day.

Posted June 13, 2013
We can not give enough praise for this school and we are so fortunate that our child has attended for the past two years. We look forward to her continuing her education there. The faculty, staff and principle have been wonderful and the teachers are outstanding!!!

St Joseph Catholic School 4

Posted October 05, 2012
Wow so surprised to read these negative reviews. I typically find some parents will not be happy anywhere their children go. Both my kids went to St. Jo's and we were extremely happy with the education there with the exception of how my children wrote papers. Found they were ill prepared for Bishop Kenny only in that area. We were a middle class family who worked hard and gave up an awful lot to send our children to a private school as my parents did. My daughter to this day will say she can always tell a public school educated person in college from a private schooled person and thanks us often for her education. I volunteered as often as I could to be involved in my kids education, but I too worked. No one school, church, neighborhood etc. is perfect but I found for 11 years caring and dedicated teachers and staff there and am so happy we chose that school. Lisa Freo

Posted August 21, 2012
Huge Disappointment. This school is, indeed, all about money. You can try to stay out of the "politics" but it's impossible when they treat your child poorly because you cannot afford to give large donations. The teachers are in major clicks with the wealthy parents who give the large donations. Your children will be treated differently. Also, the working parents who cannot be at the school 24-7 volunteering are also treated poorly. This school fails to realize that not everyone is wealthy and some of us have full-time jobs. They only ask for a 2-hour volunteer committment and even when you far exceed that, it's still not enough. The teachers do have major attitudes. I found this school to be very non-Christian in many ways. That's why I moved my children from this school. It's also very refreshing to see other negative reviews on St. Joseph's on here because I thought only I noticed the horrible way they acted!! However, while I was there I did notice many families disappearing from the school. I didn't know why at first. They certainly don't deserve my time, talent and treasure!

Posted June 19, 2012
This school has provided a high quality Catholic education for my three children. The staff, including the principal, are qualified, caring, and hard-working individuals. The school has a strong sense of community, and the St. Joseph Parish parishioners, particularly the Knights of Columbus, play an active role in the school and contribute greatly to the sense of community. We have been at St. Joseph for more than 10 years, and my children have gone on to great success in high school. My student who still attends looks forward to school every day. He has great friends, participates in after school clubs, and absolutely LOVED his teachers this past school year.

Posted May 25, 2012
With great regret I can tell you that this school have nothing to offer. They care about one thing only, money. Absolutely no leadership. They need to change the principal who has no skills at all to run a true catholic school. There is no loving environment. No catholic values to mention. Education is not better than any regular school. Definitely not an A school, in every way.

St Joseph Catholic School
11600 Old Saint Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL  32258
Last modified St Joseph Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Joseph Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews.