No rating

San Jose Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 407 students

Our school is best known for being Christ-centered and child-centered.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $91,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 16, 2014

We are so glad you have come to check out our school here at GreatSchools. You can catch a virtual glimpse of the truly amazing school we are. However, as is with anything virtual, it is limited in what you can truly perceive. We invite you to come by and get to know us. Set up a tour of our school to meet our outstanding faculty and staff; and to see our happy and engaged students. In the classrooms, on the athletic fields, and most importantly in growing our faith, our students excel in so many ways. Our school has a powerful sense of community and the energy to build together positively. We would love for your family to become a part of ours: You Belong Here.

Posted December 7, 2012

This school has excellent teachers and is academically challenging. I attended this school from K-8th and now my children attend this school. It has a great Christian atmosphere that is taught to all the children. The students attend Mass every week. This school is academically challenging because the students learn study skills and leave the school with a great knowledge base to be successful in life. This school prepared me for high school and college. I wouldn't be as successful as I am today if it weren't for this school.

Posted December 7, 2012

Great teachers and caring staff. My children love going to school everyday. The Music/ Arts department is fantastic.

Posted December 7, 2012

I have had my children at SJCS for 5 years and both my husband an I very pleased and grateful for the excellent academics, strong show of faith through stewardship, great opportunities in sports, after-school programs, security, and the fine arts programs. The school provides for after-school care program for my children and that is also appreciated. I strongly recommend looking at San Jose Catholic if you are school shopping. It is well worth the visit.

Posted December 7, 2012

San Jose Catholic is an excellent school! The teachers and staff are devoted to giving our children the academics they need in a safe Catholic environment! The school puts academics first and also offers so many extra opportunities for students to excel, like sports, music, art, running club, brain brawl, lego robotics.

Posted July 2, 2012

We attended the 2011 fall festival and where we were surprised to be greeted by parents and staff with alcohol in hand. This festival should be focused towards our children, not beer and wine sales. This is a bad message to instill in the minds of our youth. Put the beer and wine away for a day.

Posted June 21, 2012

My 2 children are new to the school and we could not be more pleased with the quality of academics, the administration and the parent involvement. The staff went out of their way to make sure our kids were happy in their classes and were being challenged at an appropriate level. Wow. Top notch school from top to bottom. We could not be more pleased.

Posted June 18, 2012

So called Christians and Catholics here. This is NOT the Catholic school you attended as a child. To many inappropriate relationships between teachers and parents. If you don't fit the mold... your out.

Posted February 7, 2012

I give SJCS a Poor grade If your not in the click well need I say more. This goes for teachers and parents.

Posted February 28, 2011

I wanted to respond to the parent that complained about the tuition. I am a single mother of one child and I find the tuition extremely reasonable. You are sending your child to PRIVATE school, what do you expect? The Catholic school system has to run itself and is not for profit. What if all the parents didn't have the money? Should they let all the kids come to school for free? Maybe you should look into sending your child to public school if you financially can't handle 400-500 a month, which is what I'm paying and that INCLUDES extended day!! How is that lots of money? When my son was in daycare I paid over 600 a month for that. San Jose is an awesome school. The teachers and faculty are very involved and want to help with any concerns you have.

Posted January 28, 2011

.......this school is good if you have lots of money and will never miss a tuition fee.If you happen to not have any fund available to pay,the principal will not allow you to go back in class no matter how long it would take.So if you don't have the fund for the next 2-3-4-5 days then your child will suffer because he/she be wondering how come he/she wont be able to get back in class.It is not fair because it is suppose to be for good education.It is not like you're trying to run away and hide,you just don't have the money at that time.We feel very discriminated against when my child was not allowed to get back in her classes until she the tuition is paid.Thank God,she graduated and now goes to BK and even her academics are being recognized.

Posted July 7, 2010

My children have been in this school for six years now and we love it. The teachers are very competent and caring, the administration is attentive and the children are happy. There is a lot of family/parent involvement and it makes for a very friendly atmosphere.

Posted July 6, 2010

I am very disturbed by the bully comments. My daughters have experienced nothing but great experiences with teachers and students as well. My oldest just graduated from Bishop Kenny with outstanding college goals. My youngest does have a learning disability and if was not for the SJCS teachers, I would have never known. Once I acted upon having her tested to ID the issues, we worked together as a team to make sure she improved her reading capabilities. SJCS ROCKS!!!!

Posted July 6, 2010

San Jose Catholic is an excellent school. The teachers care about the kids and challenge them daily with living up to strong moral standards and academic success. I value the SJCS teachers and administration supporting our students and teaching our children with faith and discipline. I value that SJCS teachers and administration are helping us teach our kids to deal with adversity and challenges. I value the longevity of the Teacher's tenure at SJCS. I value that my kids are being taught to think, study, and learn in such a caring enviroment that it San Jose Catholic School.

Posted July 6, 2010

My children have been at SJCS for the past 4 years. I can say it has been a good experience for them. The elementary school has given my children a good solid academic and social foundation. All of this plus a good Christian morals. I can say it is well worth the money compared to the nonsense in the public education system. It is ashamed that people cannot rise above any childish behavior witnessed by adults. I can say I'm not part of any "in or out click/club". I march to the beat of my own drum and so do my children- we are well accepted at SJCS. God Bless are teachers and administration!

Posted July 1, 2010

My son attended SJCS for 8 years. We pulled him out half way through 7th grade because the teachers disregarded him and the difficulties he was having. The elementary grades were fine, but once we hit middle school, the caliber of the teachers changes drastically. One teacher in particular used intimidation daily towards my son. If your child does not fit the only mold they know how to teach, your child will fall behind. As I mentioned my son attended from K-7 and only when I had finally had enough and decided to withdraw him, they tell me they cannot teach my son. WHAT, after 8 years of taking my money they figure out they cannot teach my child now??? Oh, and if you are not in the "in" group, give it up.

Posted January 13, 2010

My child no longer attends this school. There is a serious issue with bullies with no remediation to the problem. Additionally, for any parent whose child has even a minor learning disability may find it difficult to gain camaraderie with staff to offer additional assistance without, of course, adding another 'fee.' I can name 1 or 2 teachers there that exceeded my expectations; however I feel their hands were tied because they don't 'conform' to what the administration is looking for, making money....before educating.

Posted October 2, 2009

I feel that each review is valid as we each have our own experience with the school organization. Our family has endured bully issues with both children and we are not in the 'in' crowd nor care to be. However, this school has an incredible art department and does shine in the arts.

Posted August 15, 2009

I am a parent that has graduated multiple students from San Jose. I am surprised by the negative postings. Of course the school is not perfect, but are experience has been great. Don't a few, vocal unhappy people, who would probably not be happy anywhere, influence your opinion. The results, the kids that graduate from San Jose, are the best proof of the school quality. They are just good kids.

Posted July 28, 2009

Our experience has been very dif. Bully issues, lack of communication and a lot of what has been mentioned before. I wonder why we talk about the last 16 years, SJCS has produced 12 valedictorians or salutatorians at Bishop Kenny High School. What about the last 5 to 8 years for those of us with many years to go. This admin has been around only about 4 to 8 years. I agree that more control needs to be over the school board. Less emphasis on what we own and who we are and more on learning what we don't know and can learn and excelling than bragging on the wonderful achievers that could have a larger group given more thought to those students that need that extra push. Thanks for the opportunity to share our family experience thoughts of this school.

Posted July 21, 2009

This is an extremely nuturing, hands on, challenging school. the teachers are dedicated and very interactive with the parents. We have a 2nd and 4th grader and we are very pleased with their education.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Won 11 of 16 Diocesan Science Fair Awards (2014)
  • 2 National History Bee qualifiying students (2014)
  • Bishop Kenny HS Brain Brawl Third Place (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Brian Wheeler
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Catholic
Associations
  • FLGA-LCMS
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (904) 731-7169

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom