No rating

San Jose Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 407 students

Our school is best known for being Christ-centered and child-centered.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $91,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 16, 2014

We are so glad you have come to check out our school here at GreatSchools. You can catch a virtual glimpse of the truly amazing school we are. However, as is with anything virtual, it is limited in what you can truly perceive. We invite you to come by and get to know us. Set up a tour of our school to meet our outstanding faculty and staff; and to see our happy and engaged students. In the classrooms, on the athletic fields, and most importantly in growing our faith, our students excel in so many ways. Our school has a powerful sense of community and the energy to build together positively. We would love for your family to become a part of ours: You Belong Here.

Posted June 8, 2009

Just a few noteworthy facts regarding SJCS: 1. In the last 16 years, SJCS has produced 12 valedictorians or salutatorians at Bishop Kenny High School. 2. SJCS students collected over $14,000 that was used to build 7 houses in Jaimaca for the poor through a program that Father Tony introduced. 3. The girls volleyball team has finished first place for the last eight years!! 4. Of the 12 trophies that could be won this year (2008-09)in their league, SJCS students took home eight of them!! Genuine stewardship, superb academics, and competetive sports--these are just three reasons that our family loves SJCS.

Posted June 8, 2009

I shudder at the thought that the people with negative attitudes can present untrue reviews which in turn reflect against the entire school. San Jose is top notch, beginning with the principal, teachers, office staff, etc. When people reference the new principal, they forget the fact that the so called 'new' principal has been at the school eight years. I cannot understand how people can say the principal is inaccessible. She is probably one of the most accessible principals I have known. San Jose does excel at academics, sports, and spirituality. A child would be most fortunate to attend this school whose top priority is the student. This is something the principal emphasizes. It is one of the top elementary schools in the area - both private and public. God showed his blessing and love when he gathered the fine principal, teachers, and staff to work together at San Jose.

Posted May 26, 2009

I had two girls here that were bright. We were among the favored as this school puts its efforts into the brightest students in order to keep their stats. Our son is slower. When approaching the age for him to attend we switched to a catholic school more interested in helping all students. Also, the kids of the same parents are always in the plays and activities. The evidence is there and speaks for itself. As you can see you either love the school or don't. Sadly, it depends on what group your children fall in.

Posted May 13, 2009

My experience here has unfortunately been mostly negative. I have not found the principal to be hands on with her approach. The bullies start with the parents and trickle down to the children. Some teachers are way to close to the parents and socialize which is unprofessional. I found myself uncomfortable and excusing myself. My children have not had major problems yet but are in their own group as the children stick with their own. I love arabic people and have many friends that are but it seems that they are exclusive here. I miss Father Al and his laughter and kindness.

Posted May 9, 2009

IMy family has been at SJCS for 10 years. We have been very pleased. Since the new principal has taken over many good changes have occurred. She is very open to listening to others and while you may not agree with all she says, it is evident that her heart is in it for the good of the children. Security is tops. The sports program is second to none. Academics is top notch but what I love most is the sense of stewardship that surrounds all they do. My children have been very blessed to have been a part of this school.

Posted May 3, 2009

I think San jose Catholic is a very negativ enviroment for a young child to be in. The middle school needs to separate itself from the lower school and make them feel special. The teachers are very degrading to children and they leave there with no self confidence..

Posted April 20, 2009

I have graduated 3 kids from San Jose. Frankly, I do not understand the negative ratings. My kids have gone on to excel at Bishop Kenny. In many ways, they thought Kenny was easier than San Jose. One of my graduated kids is at BK now and has a 4.00. The other two are at UF, which is about as hard to get into as Harvard it seems. The priests have been involved with the school to enhance their religious education.It is the best Catholic school in town re sports and the security is first class. The security cameras are the best in the business.Are there people at San Jose who were friends before their kids went their? Yes. That does not make it a click. I hope we all become friends throught our kids. That's the way God would want it . I recommend San Jose to Catholic and non-Catholics.

Posted February 3, 2009

I am feeling pressured to register when undecided if I want to stay here. The classes are getting large and the goal is to pay for the building fund by bringing in more families by using $200.00 cash incentives. In my opinion, the problems with leadership and the clicks should be taken care of first. Hopefully, Sister is back and will help get us back to where we once were.

Posted August 12, 2008

My 3 children attend San Jose Catholic and we have been very pleased with the education they have recieved. We thought that would be difficult coming from an A+ public school. I have found that the families are extremely welcoming of my children. I have taken advantage of the many volunteer opportunities and have become a very involved parent.

Posted August 10, 2008

This school has been a big disappointment. It is probably fine for most kids, but our 4th grader needs accelerated learning opportunities which have not been available. It's reputation for caring for each student dramatically deteriorated while my child has been here, so that it is at best mediocre currently. The caliber of Admin has been shockingly poor. I get no response via phone or mail. The bully situation starts at top and goes to all levels. I can't get a resonse from the new Principal of the Home and SB as to why she walks off whenever I'm around. I barely know her. I don't feel our children have been given the advantages of a Catholic school, with all of the disadvantages. I can not recommend it in contrast to most of the other public schools in the district.'

Posted July 30, 2008

terrific school--love all who work there. It is a very caring, Catholic environment. There have been many updates as of late--all for the safety and good of our students. Keep it up.

Posted July 28, 2008

SJCS could be a great school if the message that Father Al teaches would stick. I feel like their is too much gossip among the volunteers about the parents and teachers and I feel Leadership needs to take control like I know they can.

Posted July 28, 2008

Both my children have gone to SJCS since they were 4 years old. SJCS is a school where the accademics come first. Each child is expected to be honor roll, It hurt me to see some labeled as dumb kids. The teachers are skilled but not each child was treated the same in my daughters class. Many parents discussed this at year end parties. The principal is happy and jolly and does know each child by name. But not a good example of a leader. She seems to delegate to her friends what she should do in my opinion. At lease monitor volunteers that bully others out of volunteering. When trying to talk to admin they do not want to hear it because they need these people who live there and yet there are others that would like to join in without being in a group that is bossy and mean.

Posted June 29, 2008

Many thanks for long time, dedicate teachers, an active Home & School association, and more. Continual improvements to the campus. Concern for safety and security. Great activities ,

Posted June 29, 2008

Good atmosphere overall. Teachers are dedicated. Principal is concerned for the education and formation of the children.

Posted November 5, 2007

The experience at San Jose Catholic started out well in the younger grades. The upper grades were another story. Since our children have moved to another school they are much happier and are seen as successful bright children. We would not recommend this school.

Posted July 9, 2007

The academic programs for 3rd graders is excellent as well as the teachers. The substitutes for teacher absences leave a lot to be desired, Teachers of students in the school should not be allowed to substitute for their children's class.

Posted May 7, 2006

Great school. Good discipline. Caring teachers. High academic standards. Lots of enrichment activities.

Posted September 19, 2004

San Jose Catholic is a great school. I am in the 8th grade there. I love the classes, the teachers, and my fellow classmates. San Jose offers a excellent academic program. San Jose Catholic is a great school for people who are Catholic or people who are not. San Jose is a great alternative to public schools.
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Won 11 of 16 Diocesan Science Fair Awards (2014)
  • 2 National History Bee qualifiying students (2014)
  • Bishop Kenny HS Brain Brawl Third Place (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Brian Wheeler
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Catholic
Associations
  • FLGA-LCMS
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (904) 731-7169

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom