San Jose Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 407 students

Our school is best known for being Christ-centered and child-centered.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $91,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted November 8, 2013

This is my first school year as Principal of San Jose Catholic School; the faculty, staff and I are deeply committed to making a positive impact in the lives of our students. It is a blessing, joy and honor to have been selected to lead this magnificent school community. San Jose Catholic School enjoys a long history of academic and athletic excellence in a spiritually enriching environment. This is the result of a dedicated partnership between our parents, as their children's primary educators, and our school's highly professional and skilled faculty and staff. We enthusiastically invite new families to become a part of our Christ-centered and child-centered school. Our vocation is to provide your child with an authentically Catholic education of the highest caliber.

Posted February 3, 2014

San Jose Catholic Administration needs to make changes to retain the families they have--instead of encouraging current families to spread the word to their friends about how great the school is in order to recruit new students. Only changes this year has been rebranding. Weekly newsletter contains no useful information.

Posted February 3, 2014

I have a child at San Jose Catholic Grade School. This school has extremely high standards for both the students and the faculty, and I feel that the preparation for high school has been excellent. Some of the faculty there deserve special praise as truly talented educators: Mrs. Gray, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. Karel, Mrs. Dowell, Mrs. Cratem, Mrs. Montvillas, Mrs. Thomy, Mrs. Loadholtz and Mrs. Chin. A special comment must be made about first year principal, Brian Wheeler. He has proven to be a man of uncompromising character, insight, and leadership. He has shown a tremendous amount of involvement and caring for the students in this school, and is the type of man that you want as a role model for your children.

Posted January 30, 2014

This is a great school. My youngest is attending and my oldest is in college. I have been through both public and private schools in Jacksonville. As a parent who is focused on my child's skills, I find that this school does a superior job. My eldest graduated from Stanton's IB program and I feel that the foundation lain with my youngest at this school is far better than the preparation that my IB student received at other schools in Jacksonville. I like the culture of the school. At most schools, the parents are blown off when concerns are raised. Not here - the staff tries very hard to address concerns. It takes a village and I feel that San Jose Catholic School tries very hard to be that village.

Posted December 26, 2013

May God watch over all the parents, faculty, staff and most of all students at this school as they start a new chapter with their new Principal. Pay close attention to all he says and does.

Posted December 2, 2013

My children have been attending SJCS for the past 5 years. I feel so blessed that our family has been a part of this community. The academics in the school are of the highest caliber; the parents are involved and supportive; and the athletics are outstanding. We have had the pleasure of acquiring a new principal, who has brought with him an energy and commitment to growth and enrichment and I am so glad that he has joined us in our continued spiritual and academic growth.

Posted December 2, 2013

We have been more than happy with the academics and the overall community at SJC.

Posted December 2, 2013

This school is amazing! It is my little gem - it is the treasure I have found for my children! The family focused, Christ centered philosophy of the school is seen in ever aspect of my children's education and experience. I cannot say enough about how very pleased we are with our choice and how blessed we feel to be a part of the San Jose Family!!!

Posted December 2, 2013

San Jose Catholic School is a wonderful school community. I attended San Jose from K-8th so I was nostalgic sending my little one to school there. With the addition of our new principal, Mr. Wheeler, I am excited about what the future holds as I will be enrolling another child in the 3 year old program next year. Not only the principal but the Home & School Board are committed to making our school the best it can be. We LOVE our school family!!!

Posted December 2, 2013

San Jose Catholic School has excellent academics, caring teachers, and a loving community. I am a Christian, yet not Catholic. I am proud to send my daughter to this fantastic school.

Posted December 2, 2013

This is a great school with a diverse student population and dedicated teachers and parents. We only continue to improve and I love that the school and church are becoming more integrated.

Posted December 2, 2013

Strong problem with bullying; if child (or parent) does not belong to a certain crowd they will not make sports teams, too many parents that are teachers there and show favoritism to certain students. Haven't seen change with new principle that was promised.

Posted December 2, 2013

I love the "community" atmosphere at SJCS! My sons have grown and prospered in the time at this school. I look forward to many more years!

Posted November 14, 2013

San Jose Catholic School is a great school that continues to get even better. The new principal comes across as a real pro - friendly, approachable, articulate, enthused, committed, and with a mission. He has already made many wonderful changes for the entire school (students, parents and faculty) in terms of education, spirituality and the spirit of the community. I have always felt that the San Jose community is very welcoming and nurturing. I have heard over and over again the from so many parents who have chosen to send their children to San Jose Catholic that they felt a sense of family and community that they did not feel at other school they toured in the area. All of the teachers my children have had over the years have been excellent and they are thriving academically. But most of all, at San Jose Catholic my children are given the tools to build their character in addition to their spirituality and intellect. San Jose Catholic School is definitely a school to consider for your child.

Posted November 13, 2013

I have been sending my children to this wonderful school for 6 years now. The Christ -Centered culture of our new principal flows through every aspect of the school. Parents are engaged with the administration and feel welcomed to participate in making the school the best for our children. Great academic results and very successful in Brain Brawl, Lego Robotics and brought home 80% of the trophies in the Science Fair. I believe this school is the best kept secret in Jacksonville. My children are learning their faith and getting an incredible education. I would highly recommend this school to anyone and encourage those that are considering a fresh start to contact the office and set up an appointment with our principal.

Posted May 22, 2013

My daughter has been at San Jose Catholic since Pre-Kindergarten. She is now going into 5th grade. Every teacher has been wonderful. They are involved, provide feedback and make helpful suggestions when needed. The school provides a family environment and we have made many great friends there. We love San Jose Catholic and highly recommend it!

Posted December 11, 2012

My husband and I were very happy with the academic experience at San Jose Catholic. Our children are well prepared for high school. Thank you teachers at San Jose!

Posted December 10, 2012

San Jose Catholic School has provided my children with many positive experiences academically and socially. Their focus on Science, Techonology, Engineering, and Math is key to motiviating students for careers in technical fields.

Posted December 10, 2012

San Jose Catholic is a great fit for my family. It is a very caring, loving ,environment. The teachers go out of their way to help each and every child.I love that my children attend Mass each week and celebrate all holy days. I believe it is one of the most successful Catholic schools in the city.

Posted December 8, 2012

San Jose Catholic is a school with a tradition of excellence. My children are receiving a great education in a positive Christian atmosphere.

Posted December 8, 2012

Both of my children have benefited as students of San Jose Catholic. Teachers take the time to help and get to know students well. Extra curricular activities are there for students if they so wish and the facilities are top of the line. It is a great place to prepare students for high school. Great school all around!

Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 3% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Won 8 of 9 Diocesan Science Fair Awards (2013)
  • Bishop Kenny HS Brain Brawl Third Place (2013)
  • Bishop Kenny HS Brain Brawl Champions (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Brian Wheeler
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Catholic
Associations
  • FLGA-LCMS
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (904) 731-7169

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom