No rating

St Matthew Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 290 students

We are best known for excellent, caring faculty.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $60,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

School Official Point of View

Posted February 24, 2011

I am proud of our pastor, school, teachers, students, and the involvement of our parents. We all work hard to meet the needs of every student. When we all work together, everyone benefits. Thank you for making St. Matthew's an excellent place for academic, social, and spiritual growth. God Bless.

Posted September 5, 2013

My daughter attends St. Matthews and she loves it. As a parent, I have been happy with the teachers and the positive enviroment. I think the teachers expect a lot out of the students which will only help prepare them for what lies ahead. Overall, we think it's a great school!

Posted August 27, 2013

My children have gone to this school for 3 years now. We are very happy with the school, the teachers and the administration. The only thing that stopped me from giving this a 5 star review is the fact that some of the lower classes don't revive enough of the extra curricular classes, such as art class once a month.

Posted February 15, 2013

In response to the post dated January 2, 2013: With all due respect, we appreciate all the frustration you feel because of the educational challenges your grandson has had in the different school settings he has been in. Despite the variety of accomodations we provided, we are sorry you were disappointed by our efforts and wish him the best in his new school setting.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 2, 2013

St Matthews Catholic School offers the McKay Scholarship for children who are ADHD. My grandson started school in the Fall of 2012 we had high hopes of getting the extra assistance he needed for learning, however after a few meetings with the teacher and numerous emails of concerns regarding his test scores..the teacher stated she could not give him more time for tests or assignments etc. The McKay Scholarship is given to students who specifically need the extra time to complete tests, assignments and extra assistance for learning whatever subject. Again his Mother sent an email to the teacher, principal and the guidance counselor on 12/5/2012 requesting a meeting regarding the concerns she had for her son. As of today 1/2/2013 there has been no acknowledgement from any of the three people mentioned above. My grandson will no longer attend the school as the faculty at this school have failed miserably by not administering the criteria of the McKay Scholarship and should cease advertising they offer the program as the students who need it will not get the accommodations! The last 4 months have been a total Waste!

Posted May 9, 2012

School is small and ok if you have a child who is struggling academically, scince they don't expect to much from the students. Typical resources but nothing to brag about. Part time is a big thing at this school, part time Gym class, part time counselor, part time computers and library etc.. Cost to go to this school is a lot lower than other private schools, but you know what they say "you get what you pay for". If you are a member of the church you will have a great experience at this school or if you have an average student. School is more interested in raising money, which most parents are fine with because if you are a home room mother expect to spend a lot out of your own pocket and have the same 3 volunteers out of a class of 30 children, most parents can't be bothered, even with the mandatory volunteer hours, most parents just pay for them. Bullying is a problem at this school and will probably be that way in the future the school and principal are in denial and don't want to rock the boat with their parishoiners. Join the church and keep the money flowing and your child will ve a great time up to the 8th grade at this school.

Posted June 9, 2011

Our children have been attending St. Matthew's for five years, and they love it. They are happy, healthy, well adjusted children, and the school is a positive environment. We love the small school atmosphere and the fact that they attend Mass every Friday. There are plenty of extracurricular activities and resources during the day as well. There is also plenty of parental involvement and activities to keep whole families engaged. We do wish the foreign language was a little more in depth, but overall, we are very happy with the staff, teachers, principal, and education.

Posted May 18, 2010

We have been members of St. Matthews for 7 years and, like many others, are pulling our children from this school. Others who have left have found their children behind in other schools in several areas. After 7 years of Spanish at this school, my child is able to say a prayer and numbers in Spanish. The English, math, hist., computers dept are very lacking. The principal is terrible and is destroying the school. She hires personal friends as teachers despite many of them being inadequate. The teachers get worse the higher up you go. A couple are very good, but most could care less about being there. They spend more time yelling and text messaging during class than they spend teaching. Often, when you try to contact some of the teachers, your inquiries are ignored for weeks and then eventually met with attitude and lack of any desire.

Posted May 13, 2010

my daughter has benn going there for 7 years and she loves it shes loves the teachers....
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 31, 2010

Best value for private schools. Daily enrichment classes, music, computers, spanish, P.E., art. Close knit community and classes. Limited discipline problems. Before and aftercare reasonably priced. Teachers who want to be at St. Matthews and care about the students. We have been very happy both academically and socially with St. Matthews.

Posted January 10, 2010

My daughter is in pre-k at St. Matthew's and I absolutely love the school, teachers and curriculem. I couldn't think of a better school for my daughter to have her first educational experiences.

Posted December 8, 2009

St. Matthews is a sub-average school. The accounting people are constantly messing up what is owed. This has been a problem since last year. Now the grumpy lady in the church side has sent many parents letters threatening to raise the tuition to the non-member rate even though we are, and have been, members. It appears that the economy has hit the church and the school as they are becoming more concerned with the money instead of the kids. I also agree with others about the discipline in this school. It is lacking all the way around. There has been a boy in my daughters class the past 2 years that should not even be allowed in public school because he is so evil, yet they do nothing about it. I think the school just looks at him as income. Several parents are pulling their kids just like we are!

Posted October 21, 2009

I hate to disagree with some of the reviews; however there are several parents who agree with me but do not wish to make their opinion known. Being a single mother is not easy. When I need answers based on my child's performance or conduct I would hope to get them. The teachers are very cooperative. The one problem I find is the principal. The discipline system is lacking. I understand quotas and expectations for a school, but to tolerate student disciplinary issues with such a soft hand dismisses the whole purpose of having such a system. My daughter has had a problem with a certain female student. This has been happening for a few years. I have approached the principal and receive the same comforting speech with the notion something will be done. Well nothing ever does. The school is great but is in need of a stronger principal.

Posted March 24, 2009

My son has attended SMCS for 8 years. We have had a wonderful experience.

Posted March 24, 2009

My children have been at St. Matthew's for two years, and they love it. The faculty, staff, and principal are all very caring and easy to deal with. My children love all of the resources that are available, and the Catholic faith is very strong there. My family loves the fact that everyone attends Mass every Friday. It is a small school, and it is like a big family. We love St. Matthew's!!

Posted September 29, 2008

We have been at SMCS for the past 5 years and are having a wonderful experience. Great teachers, great parental participation, great education

Posted September 15, 2008

My son has been at SMCS for 8 yrs and I have been very happy w/the experience. I think he is very advanced compared to the children in our neighorhood who go to public schools by my home. I would recommend SMCS to anyone. I see and speak w/the principle everytime I go to the school to volunteer. It is the only school I have seen where the principle goes out everyday to see if drop off and pick up are going. All the teachers have been very friendly.

Posted September 2, 2008

I have a child in his second year at SMCS & so far we have had a good experience. I appreciate that it is a small school & we have had extremely happy with both his teachers. My son is thriving & learning - he loves school. Any concerns I have had have been answered or resolved fairly.

Posted February 29, 2008

My children have been at SMCS for 7 years. I am very pleased with the administration, and the faculty. The school has a strong academic program. The faculty care about the students and are there for you if needed. I am impressed with the morals and values that my child recieves each day at school. I love that they attend mass on Friday's. It is a wonderful small environment.

Posted February 27, 2008

My daughter has attended SMCS for four years. We have been very pleased with her progress and her teachers. We have not had a lot of occasions(fortunately) to meet with the principal: however, the one incident we have had was handled professionally and promptly. We have sent in several suggestions and complaints and have always received a response from an appropriate staff member.

Posted February 20, 2008

I am a member of the church and I love it, but the school is not what it used to be. I have one son there that is finishing out the year and I will be moving him. I agree with the other review that the principal does not get along well with others. My son does better than she. There is alot of bullying and nothing is being done about it. If you have a concern with your child(ern)'s progress you do not get any answers. I can not wait for the year to be over. Many parents have pulled their child out because each year it becomes worse.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • FL DOE Kindergarten Readiness Rate Report 187/200= 94% (2011)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Gardening

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mrs. Kathy Tuerk
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
  • Part-time study
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (904) 388-4404

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of St. Augustine

• Creative writing
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook