No rating

Arlington Country Day School

Private | K-12

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $77,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Posted May 28, 2007

This school overpromises when you are interviewing them, the underdelivers once they have your money. It is located in a bad section of town and the facilities are sub par. Teachers are over extended and underpaid so there is no real motivation to accel in their careers.

Posted May 28, 2007

My child attended for Kindergarten, and is now so far behind other schools (public and private) if I do not have him tutored for reading over the summer he will have to repeat Kindergarten. There was a 1 to 9 ratio most of the year, 1/2 of which were not old enough to enter most schools and should have been placed in a preschool as they turned 5 late in the school year. Check ratios if you are looking at this school as enrollment is down so much they combined 2nd and 3rd grades this year. I will say that my child is at or above grade level for math. It is the end of the year and they are only sounding out 3 letter short vowel words. Endings, long vowels etc were not covered. I was shown work from last year while touring, never introduced to students this year.

Posted April 28, 2007

This wonderful school gave my son not only an excellent education, but an opportunity to make valuable friendships in a safe and nurturing environment. He attended the school for 8 years and is now successful in college. While the buildings may not be modern, the heart and soul of a school are what matters most.

Posted October 4, 2006

I have been very disappointed with this school. I felt this might be a better alternative than Sandalwood . .it was has been worse and a complete waste of time. My son and his friends talked about how they would spend their time in class on cell phones and doing little to no work . . still he brought home A's and B's even after having no homework assigned to him. I could never reach the headmaster and on the one occasion I did he did not want to hear anything I had to say. The report cards and progress reports are hand written. The final straw was when a substitute teacher called my son a moron and an idiot. I paid for the full year in advance and should be refunded @ $3,500. We ll see how that works out. WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!

Posted May 19, 2006

High School lacks discipline and leadership.

Posted May 16, 2006

I don't feel my child is learning as much as I would like her to.

Posted February 14, 2006

Good school, the teachers are good and care about the job they are doing. Class sizes are small. An old fashioned school, not much glitz but your child will get more out of their education than in the public schools. Less distractions from learning.

Posted December 31, 2005

I am a teacher at Arlington Country Day School. The parents want results that their student can't achieve, becasue the principal tells the parents the school can do it. On paper the students achieve. There is no activities other than sports. I would not enroll my child in this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 11, 2005

My son attends this school and has since middle school due to the very poor quality of public schools in Arlington. The small classes and caring teachers have helped him excel. He is able to advance to a higher grade levels in subjects he is best at. I pay for this school, although I can't really afford private school. I feel it has been a godsend, I wish I had sent my older son there instead of sticking it out at Terry Parker. The school is not impressive to look at but the teachers there care and do a great job.

Posted November 30, 2005

I could not afford Espicopal or Bolles School, so I looked into Arlington Country Day. This school's only apparent reason to exsit is to play sports. There is no education going on in the classrooms. In reality my student learned nothing. On a whole, my child lost an entire year and a half in Arlington Country Day School

Posted June 16, 2005

I was very dissapointed with this school. My children attended under the McKay Scholarship, and I presumed that a school accepting this scholarship would be prepared to help ESE students. But it was not and I feel like I have wasted 2 years. It seems like the main focus of this school is athletics. I guess if you are not a special needs student & you like sports, this may be a good school for you. Also, to my dismay, I could never reach the headmaster or book keeper by phone (or get a callback) after repeated attempts. In addition, the dress code was not enforced for the older students, and many times I saw students wearing outfits that were more suited for a nightclub than for school. That doesn't really set a good example for younger students.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab