No rating

Hendricks Day School

Private | PK-8 | 301 students

What they take from here, they take for life.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $65,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted October 21, 2013

This is my 15th year with Hendricks. I continue to be pleased as a parent and feel that my children are receiving an excellent education. The teachers really know my children and provide support in all areas. As a parent, I really appreciate the fact that the teachers and staff take a team approach.

Posted September 23, 2013

This is truly an amazing school. It's not the cheapest private school in Jacksonville, but you get every penny's worth out of it. The academics, as well as the focus on critical thinking skills, are great, but it is really the loving, nurturing atmosphere that makes it so special. My child is in her fourth year there, and she loves it and is eager to go each day. The extended day staff is wonderful as well.

Posted June 3, 2013

My daughter has been attending HDS for 5 years now. She have thrived and loves all her teachers, classmates and the school as a whole. She will be attending until 8th grade which is the last grade that offer. I really wish they would expand to a high school soon.

Posted May 2, 2013

Happy, Smart, Intuitive, Creative and Kind -- these words describe every HDS student from PK3 to 8th Grade...and it is because of the loving environment and attitude promoted and taught by HDS teachers and staff. My 4yr old started in the middle of VPK, and the minute he arrived, he was embraced by all of the students in the school with love and support. There is no bullying. There are no cliques. HDS is a truly unusual school that far surpasses my expectations.

Posted April 29, 2013

From the moment we stepped on the campus, we, and more importantly our daughter, felt like we were part of a family. The head of school is readily accessible and takes a personal interest in each student s education. We have been on a long journey from our daughter loving school to dreading going in the morning. Once we changed to Hendricks, she loves school again and comes home excited to share with us what she has learned that day. We could not be happier with Hendricks!

Posted April 26, 2013

As a parent of Hendricks students and as a secondary and post-secondary education professional, I have been pleased with (and certainly not fooled by) the hard, objective evidence of my children's academic and social growth. Whereas I cannot directly testify as a Hendricks teacher to the teacher's experience within the school, the culture of Hendricks is typical of private, upper-middle class prep schools: competitive, participatory, growing, and maybe too competitive for its own good at times. It is my job as a parent and thus member of this community to mitigate that competitive strain on my children and even teachers if I can. In the end, I understand the "Hendricks for Life" slogan to represent an enduring dedication to excellence. If my son's scholastic performance is any indicator, then the Hendricks' culture is viable and worth your consideration.

Posted April 19, 2013

The best PK3 to 8th grade school in Jacksonville! Caring and loving faculty and staff who look at each child as an individual and tailor their instruction to each child's needs. The children are also taught questioning and how to solve problems and make decisions thoughtfully and skillfully which helps make them successful throughout life. Both of my children went on to the IB program at Stanton College Prep and were very well prepared by the curriculum at Hendricks.

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks' culture is the best part of this school. We do what we say we'll do to the best of our ability; we support the students and each other as well as we can. I enjoy teaching here!

Posted April 18, 2013

My school is Hendricks Day School. Thanks to the individualized education that HDS provides my children are receiving what they need both academically and socially. HDS provides a loving, supportive, family environment that every child deserves and needs!

Posted April 18, 2013

I interviewed at several schools around Jacksonville but once I walked into Hendricks Day School I knew it was the place I wanted to be! I love how all the teachers here will go out of their way to find ways to make curriculum engaging and accessible to all students. It's a very positive atmosphere for students and faculty alike.

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks Day Scool is a wonderful school! I have worked here for three years and I couldn't be happier. Administrators are very supportive and helpful. They really care about every student at our school. I'm excited to have my 3 year old son attending Hendricks next year. I know that he will be in a loving and supportive environment.

Posted April 18, 2013

Great school! Individualized attention, lots of resources where public school does not have as many.

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks is a school that achieves the balance between academic rigor and personal, character development. It is a warm, family-based school that focuses on the unique needs of every single child. Children do not fall through the cracks at this school! Each child's individuality is valued, from their interests to their learning style. With this knowledge and focus, students are able to receive a tailored education that allows them to be challenged in a way that promotes optimal academic success and also to have their interests in other areas nurtured and explored through the many available resources. Teachers and parents work as a collaborative team with the best interest of every student at the heart of every decision. A fantastic place to learn, work - and to just be.

Posted April 18, 2013

I am in my tenth year of teaching. Before coming to Hendricks Day School, I was losing my passion. I was just going through the motions of an every day teacher. Thanks to Hendricks, I LOVE teaching again! The administration, faculty, and staff love each and every student and strive to help them to the best of their ability. Hendricks lives their core values of love, community, promise, individuality, and discovery daily. My godson will be attending Hendricks next year and I couldn't be more excited to share this educational journey with him!

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks is an amazing environment to work in. Our students are respectful and eager to learn, which makes every work day a joy. Our administration is supportive and flexible, taking time to understand the teacher's point of view. We work very hard for the families at Hendricks and try to develop the best relationships possible. After 8 years in public schools, Hendricks really feels like a dream come true!

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks Day School offers an excellent education in a caring and supportive environment. The students are offered a great variety of experiences every day as they move from their classroom and multiple resources (art, science, music to name a few). Every teacher, staff and administrative employee is fully committed to providing the best education for the students. I love Hendricks Day School!!!

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks is an amazing school with a true family feel. Students are constantly challenged to their potential in a caring environment.

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks strives for excellence in offerings to the students and families through the involved teachers and staff of the school. On a regular basis, there are many school wide activities and events put on, which encourage growth for a well rounded student. There are several resource classes to supplement the normal curriculum as well. Overall, Hendricks gives the opportunity for all children to be nurtured and have successes while in attendance.

Posted April 18, 2013

This school is the closest thing to a family. We all care about each and every student and about each other. It is a wonderful place to be; a home away from home. As a teacher, we really go out of our way to make every student shine - and they all do in their own unique way!

Posted April 17, 2013

The first time I walked into HDS, I knew it was special. The first time I came in contact with the students and staff, I knew it was the perfect school for me. I have finally found the place where thinking outside the box is encouraged, students are allowed to ask questions, and exploration, investigation, and growth is the norm. The students don't aspire to gain information, but instead, knowledge is what they are after. The teachers love their jobs to the point where you can feel their energy radiating immediately after walking into the building. I have nothing but excellent things to say about Hendricks. However, I encourage you not to take my word for it. Come see for yourself!!!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:10 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Linda Johnson, Ed.d.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (904) 720-0435

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Drama club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis