No rating

Hendricks Day School

Private | PK-8 | 301 students

What they take from here, they take for life.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $65,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted February 19, 2014

Both of our children have attended HDS. The faculty is top-notch, the extensive resources offered cannot begin to compare with other schools, and the school-community is like no other. Our youngest child has blossomed through the early childhood and elementary programs, gaining both personal and academic confidence. The teachers and staff go above and beyond to create the most personalized experience possible. Our oldest child had the benefit of experiencing Hendricks' early childhood, elementary, and middle school programs, and is now a successful International Baccalaureate high-school student. We love HDS!

Posted February 7, 2014

As a parent with two children who have now graduated from Hendricks, it is with great pleasure that I return to share my overwhelming happiness with this school. I could not be more pleased with how both of my children have transitioned into high school. Not only have they had success academically, but athletically, socially, and emotionally. Hendricks gave them everything they needed! They both have a 3.8 GPA or higher. My daughter has just been recommended for the National Honor Society and the Spanish Honor Society. She lettered this year as a sophomore in a sport that she played for the first time at Hendricks in 6th grade. Both of my children have more friends than they know what to do with. They have grown into very independent and mature leaders. I can't think of one night that they have asked for help from me for anything. I give Hendricks Day School a thumbs-up for helping my children become who they are today. I cannot think of a better place to raise children!

Posted January 30, 2014

My children have attended this school since PK3. We have been very pleased with the faculty and environment of this school. My daughter was given the privilege of participating in the athletic program this year. She was encouraged and supported as she learned the sport. What a confidence builder! The faculty and staff are open and loving. We feel valued. The academics are strong and we are confident that our children will be very prepared when they leave Hendricks for high school.

Posted January 17, 2014

While many schools are cutting back on the resources, Hendricks Day School is doing the opposite. As a parent, and quite frankly as a person, I have learned that if we focus only on facts, we no longer have an enthusiasm for learning. Hendricks promotes the idea that resources work with the classroom and the school as a whole and then integrates all areas of learning. Hendricks offers Technology, Library, Music, Art, Spanish, and PE multiple times a week. The staff loves each child and our children have grown immensely. They not only allow each child to reach their potential, but then take them even further. I love that my child is safe and loved at all times.

Posted December 2, 2013

As an alumni parent, I often look back at our time spent at Hendricks and find countless ways my children were prepared for high school and college. As I expected, the academic and social transition was very smooth. As an added bonus, the athletic program taught my child how to compete, how to be on a team and the importance of winning and losing with integrity. Sending our children to Hendricks was one of the best decisions we could have made.

Posted November 18, 2013

Hendricks Day School is a wonderful school. They have a family-oriented and supportive environment. My children have been attending this school for seven years. The teachers are always willing to offer extra help and instruction, when needed. The teachers go out their way to help the children succeed in all they do. The students receive a variety of experiences through the classroom, resources, and extra curricular field trips. Hendricks has been a great school for our family.

Posted October 30, 2013

This is our 4th year at Hendricks and it has been a wonderful experience. The teachers are amazing at what they do and the Administration always go above and beyond. My children feel loved and love learning here - I couldn't ask for anything more. This truly is an extraordinary school and I'm so glad we found it.

Posted October 21, 2013

This is my 15th year with Hendricks. I continue to be pleased as a parent and feel that my children are receiving an excellent education. The teachers really know my children and provide support in all areas. As a parent, I really appreciate the fact that the teachers and staff take a team approach.

Posted September 23, 2013

This is truly an amazing school. It's not the cheapest private school in Jacksonville, but you get every penny's worth out of it. The academics, as well as the focus on critical thinking skills, are great, but it is really the loving, nurturing atmosphere that makes it so special. My child is in her fourth year there, and she loves it and is eager to go each day. The extended day staff is wonderful as well.

Posted June 3, 2013

My daughter has been attending HDS for 5 years now. She have thrived and loves all her teachers, classmates and the school as a whole. She will be attending until 8th grade which is the last grade that offer. I really wish they would expand to a high school soon.

Posted May 2, 2013

Happy, Smart, Intuitive, Creative and Kind -- these words describe every HDS student from PK3 to 8th Grade...and it is because of the loving environment and attitude promoted and taught by HDS teachers and staff. My 4yr old started in the middle of VPK, and the minute he arrived, he was embraced by all of the students in the school with love and support. There is no bullying. There are no cliques. HDS is a truly unusual school that far surpasses my expectations.

Posted April 29, 2013

From the moment we stepped on the campus, we, and more importantly our daughter, felt like we were part of a family. The head of school is readily accessible and takes a personal interest in each student s education. We have been on a long journey from our daughter loving school to dreading going in the morning. Once we changed to Hendricks, she loves school again and comes home excited to share with us what she has learned that day. We could not be happier with Hendricks!

Posted April 26, 2013

As a parent of Hendricks students and as a secondary and post-secondary education professional, I have been pleased with (and certainly not fooled by) the hard, objective evidence of my children's academic and social growth. Whereas I cannot directly testify as a Hendricks teacher to the teacher's experience within the school, the culture of Hendricks is typical of private, upper-middle class prep schools: competitive, participatory, growing, and maybe too competitive for its own good at times. It is my job as a parent and thus member of this community to mitigate that competitive strain on my children and even teachers if I can. In the end, I understand the "Hendricks for Life" slogan to represent an enduring dedication to excellence. If my son's scholastic performance is any indicator, then the Hendricks' culture is viable and worth your consideration.

Posted April 19, 2013

The best PK3 to 8th grade school in Jacksonville! Caring and loving faculty and staff who look at each child as an individual and tailor their instruction to each child's needs. The children are also taught questioning and how to solve problems and make decisions thoughtfully and skillfully which helps make them successful throughout life. Both of my children went on to the IB program at Stanton College Prep and were very well prepared by the curriculum at Hendricks.

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks' culture is the best part of this school. We do what we say we'll do to the best of our ability; we support the students and each other as well as we can. I enjoy teaching here!

Posted April 18, 2013

My school is Hendricks Day School. Thanks to the individualized education that HDS provides my children are receiving what they need both academically and socially. HDS provides a loving, supportive, family environment that every child deserves and needs!

Posted April 18, 2013

I interviewed at several schools around Jacksonville but once I walked into Hendricks Day School I knew it was the place I wanted to be! I love how all the teachers here will go out of their way to find ways to make curriculum engaging and accessible to all students. It's a very positive atmosphere for students and faculty alike.

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks Day Scool is a wonderful school! I have worked here for three years and I couldn't be happier. Administrators are very supportive and helpful. They really care about every student at our school. I'm excited to have my 3 year old son attending Hendricks next year. I know that he will be in a loving and supportive environment.

Posted April 18, 2013

Great school! Individualized attention, lots of resources where public school does not have as many.

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks is a school that achieves the balance between academic rigor and personal, character development. It is a warm, family-based school that focuses on the unique needs of every single child. Children do not fall through the cracks at this school! Each child's individuality is valued, from their interests to their learning style. With this knowledge and focus, students are able to receive a tailored education that allows them to be challenged in a way that promotes optimal academic success and also to have their interests in other areas nurtured and explored through the many available resources. Teachers and parents work as a collaborative team with the best interest of every student at the heart of every decision. A fantastic place to learn, work - and to just be.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:10 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Linda Johnson, Ed.d.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (904) 720-0435

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Drama club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis