No rating

Hendricks Day School

Private | PK-8 | 301 students

What they take from here, they take for life.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $65,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted April 18, 2013

I am in my tenth year of teaching. Before coming to Hendricks Day School, I was losing my passion. I was just going through the motions of an every day teacher. Thanks to Hendricks, I LOVE teaching again! The administration, faculty, and staff love each and every student and strive to help them to the best of their ability. Hendricks lives their core values of love, community, promise, individuality, and discovery daily. My godson will be attending Hendricks next year and I couldn't be more excited to share this educational journey with him!

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks is an amazing environment to work in. Our students are respectful and eager to learn, which makes every work day a joy. Our administration is supportive and flexible, taking time to understand the teacher's point of view. We work very hard for the families at Hendricks and try to develop the best relationships possible. After 8 years in public schools, Hendricks really feels like a dream come true!

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks Day School offers an excellent education in a caring and supportive environment. The students are offered a great variety of experiences every day as they move from their classroom and multiple resources (art, science, music to name a few). Every teacher, staff and administrative employee is fully committed to providing the best education for the students. I love Hendricks Day School!!!

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks is an amazing school with a true family feel. Students are constantly challenged to their potential in a caring environment.

Posted April 18, 2013

Hendricks strives for excellence in offerings to the students and families through the involved teachers and staff of the school. On a regular basis, there are many school wide activities and events put on, which encourage growth for a well rounded student. There are several resource classes to supplement the normal curriculum as well. Overall, Hendricks gives the opportunity for all children to be nurtured and have successes while in attendance.

Posted April 18, 2013

This school is the closest thing to a family. We all care about each and every student and about each other. It is a wonderful place to be; a home away from home. As a teacher, we really go out of our way to make every student shine - and they all do in their own unique way!

Posted April 17, 2013

The first time I walked into HDS, I knew it was special. The first time I came in contact with the students and staff, I knew it was the perfect school for me. I have finally found the place where thinking outside the box is encouraged, students are allowed to ask questions, and exploration, investigation, and growth is the norm. The students don't aspire to gain information, but instead, knowledge is what they are after. The teachers love their jobs to the point where you can feel their energy radiating immediately after walking into the building. I have nothing but excellent things to say about Hendricks. However, I encourage you not to take my word for it. Come see for yourself!!!

Posted April 15, 2013

My son is in his second year at Hendricks, and we are so very satisfied with this school. My son is developmentally ahead but yet he receives instruction that is challenging to him! I love that he is learning new things every day. The critical thinking skills and habits of mind have been amazing! How many 3 year olds are caught using the word persisting to describe what they must do to learn how to tie his shoes? We are very pleased with the school's nurturing approach to challenging young minds!

Posted April 15, 2013

As an alumni, a parent, and a faculty member, I am very familiar with what Hendricks has to offer! As a parent, my children are given so many opportunities to learn and grow in a safe and warm environment. I am often blown away at some of the things that they are doing and learning in class. As a faculty member, I know exactly what goes into the curriculum and how hard working and dedicated the teachers are to their students. I have worked at several other schools and I know that when students leave Hendricks they are prepared for high school and the many challenges that they will face in the coming years. Hendricks truly is for life!

Posted March 19, 2013

My family has been at Hendricks for the past 10 years. My youngest child will be graduating this year and my older daughter transitioned beautifully from HDS to high school. I know that my daughter going into high school this fall is academically and socially prepared, thanks to the strong foundation provided at Hendricks.

Posted February 26, 2013

My two kids have been a part of the HDS family for 8 years. I can't speak highly enough for the school and staff. My kids have been challenged academically but in a caring, comfortable environment. The teachers and staff truly care for each child. Also, the sports programs offered at HDS have opened the doors for my kids to play sports they may not have had the opportunity to participate in at other schools. Because of this extra attention, my kids now are playing sports at the high school level. The culture at HDS is truly unique. The differentiated instruction really helps each child learn in their own unique way. Your child will become more confident and secure with who they are. Please take the time to consider HDS where the teachers, facility, and staff will give your child the individual attention and tools necessary to succeed. Wonderful school and staff.

Posted February 25, 2013

My three children have been part of the HDS family for 6 years. Academically, my children are getting the best education filled with critical thinking and rigor. They have been challenged but not overwhelmed by the curriculum and have learned to love learning! My oldest is completing his last year in the elementary school and we are looking forward to the opportunities in the HDS Middle school. The middle school faculty knows and loves each student. They are always available and excited about their students and our school. My children will be prepared to attend any high school in Jacksonville and will get through the scary middle school years in a safe, nurturing and academically rich environment. I am so thankful we are part of the Hendricks family!

Posted February 19, 2013

have worked closely with the staff from Hendricks and cannot say enough about how great they are. The staff works together as such a great team, and you can easily see how much they truly love their students and school. They hold true to their core values and expect their students to do the same. The students are so polite and eager to learn, it's very refreshing to see. I know that when my children are old enough, they will be going straight to Hendricks Day School.

Posted November 20, 2012

I have been a parent at HDS for eight years and was very proud of HDS' academics, athletics, music, and more. However, in the 2011-2012 school year, HDS implemented an "Ambassadorship Program" which was vague and ambiguous at best. In the 2012-2013 year, the school made modifications and allegedly more objective measures, however, even with the adjustments, the "Ambassadorship Program" results are still inconsistent with the feedback of the teachers. The "Ambassadorship Program" is supposed to measure courtesy, responsibility, integrity, scholarship, and persistence of the student but the only true result from this Program is irritation for the student and the parent with no definition or explanation of the resulting score and, in some cases, in contrast with the comments of the teacher(s). After two years of this program (and eight years at this school), my family will be making a change for the 2013-2014 school year where we can still have high academic standards and diversity in the arts and sports, but with a more productive and positive character program.

Posted October 26, 2011

I am in my 4th year as an HDS parent. I can't say enough about this school. It has taught my son to really think for himself in terms of good decisions vs bad decisions. They really teach you on an individual basis, as "no student learns the same" this is so true and this is how they teach every student. It is a true family atmosphere, everyone from the head of school, the heads of the diff depts, the head of the cafeteria, the receptionist, the finance ladies and everyone in between know you by name. My youngest child is 3 & does not go to this school till next yr but just about everyone on campus knows him by name and makes a point to make him included in everything. It truly is a family learning atmosphere with the top curriculum and so many advantages. When they say they teach you "how to think not what to think" it is true in every aspect throughout the school. I couldn't imagine my children going to any other school after this experience. I am so happy I have my youngest starting PK4 next year which means I will be part of the Hendricks Family (and that's truly what it is) for another 10 years! That will make 14 all together & I wouldn't have it any other way!

Posted September 29, 2011

We are enjoying our fourth year being part of the HDS Family. We not only are experiencing our fourth year being students of Hendricks Day School, we couldn't imagine our children anywhere else. Of course all schools offer reading, writing, math, some extras but how many of them infiltrate your entire life. Everything we learn, we experience, we do somehow ties back to HDS. We have looked and toured all of the local private schools. None "felt right". It sounds to easy to say it feels right, but from the moment that you walk onto campus to the moment you experience one of those ah ha moments in your child s education HDS "feels right". Our daughters are not round peg round hole kinds of children. HDS not only teaches them in the way they each need, HDS embraces that and supports that. There is a clear attitude of success for the whole child not just the "academic" child. Everything from a Drama Club, to a Cross Country Club, to Pom's Team, to an Environmental Club to Safety Patrol, HDS is there to support the child, the family and the notion that education is not a one size fits all. Most people like their school, HDS parents LOVE their school!

Posted September 20, 2011

I have been a Hendricks parent for over ten years. If you want your child to learn reading, writing, and arithmetic so that they can pass a test, send them to your neighborhood school. However, if you are looking for a nurturing environment, where your child will not only grow academically but will be given opportunities and challenges beyond a standard curriculum, then Hendricks Day School is for you. I truly believe that the teachers at Hendricks are there because they love the students and they love to teach. With few exception, every teacher that my children have had, taught with passion, warmth, and created an environment where my children were excited to learn. My daughter played three sports while in middle school. Hendricks' athletic programs build confidence, teach responsiblity, and provide a great way for students to be proud to represent their school. They have started to develop more activities for elementary students as well, such as a chorus and pom squad which perform at school functions as well as some events in the city. I know we made the right choice in sending our children to Hendricks.

Posted September 19, 2011

The reason our family loves this school is because it has become our extended family. The entire faculty & staff makes us feel important and welcomed. My daughter has a team of adults she has learned to trust. What a gift that is! Hendricks Day School is also the only school in Jacksonville postured to take care of each student individually. Our daughter was able to take an advanced Math course in order to prepare her for high school. She also has many choices when it comes to encore classes such as Video Game Design, Renaissance Theater, Television Studio Production, Drum Circle, Test Taking Skills, STOMP, Recycling Club, Art. Beyond the classroom, the athletic program is one of the finest in the city, where students are encouraged to participate and because of this she went out for two sports!

Posted December 10, 2009

I just moved here in December of '09 was faced with putting my son in a school that was BAD students in the hallway cursing teachers all around did no care etc... I went on a mission to find another school I would feel good about leaving my son in and in two hours I found Hendricks Day. Went inside and found not only a school worthy of my son, but also hugs to make me feel better and shoulders to cry on. WOW what a great team there. My son will be very happy there. :-)

Posted April 16, 2009

I have two children at Hendricks. There are multiple reasons why we are so happy at this school but I must say that the predominant reason is that the school sees each child as an individual and fosters each child's needs. If a child is gifted and excels in an area, then the school helps that child to reach new and exciting levels. If a child struggles in a particular subject, then that child is given the resources and attention to help him or her. This is a school that truly focuses on education in a family atmosphere.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:10 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Linda Johnson, Ed.d.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (904) 720-0435

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Drama club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis