No rating

Hendricks Day School

Private | PK-8 | 301 students

What they take from here, they take for life.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $65,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted today

The tuition is already $10,000, add the fact that you have a special needs child who needs smaller classes, and it's an additional $5000-&10,000. That's absolutely ridiculous and more than some people make. I feel like it's a discourages those with discuss needs from attending just the average Mckay scholarship soyldnt even cover the base tuition. It's just such a shame the tuition is so high. How is the school diverse with such socioeconomic standards,

Posted June 27, 2014

Hendricks has gone from 2 classes per grade from Pre-K 4 and up to only 1 class per grade for the upcoming 2014-2015 school year. The dramatic decline in enrollment speaks for itself.

Posted June 16, 2014

I have three children attending Hendricks Day School and one who graduated and went on to the Bolles School. I have nothing but excellent things to say about Hendricks, its staff and its leadership. I am a professional with much education myself and I recognize academic rigor when I see it. Hendricks provides that, especially from 6th grade onward. From the lower grades through 5th, I think of the school as providing strong academics (not quite the 6th and up level), but also providing a wonderful and nurturing approach to each student. Personally, I think it's the combination of nurturing and academics that has allowed my oldest to thrive at Bolles in an honors curriculum. My children love the School, as do my spouse and I. It's also worth noting that the School does NOT tolerate bad behavior and is known to expel children with such issues. As parents, that's one reason to love Hendricks -- to know your child will be learning in a controlled, safe, and nurturing environment. If you're looking for an excellent private school that provides strong academics and extracurricular opportunity, all with a reasonable price tag, make sure Hendricks is on your list!

Posted June 9, 2014

Once again the school is going through major staff changes! School leadership needs a change with fresh innovative ideas. The tuition is quite high for the campus offered. Enrollment should be higher and teacher stability is a must.

Posted May 14, 2014

When considering this school ask and be vigilant. Academics are no better than a public school, resources with the exception of music and art are disappointing. You will hear more about making financial contributions to the school rather than academics. Also a lot of this reviews are from faculty, staff and members from their parent teacher organization and alumni club members.

Posted May 9, 2014

Visit as many schools as you can before deciding on your child's education. The more informed, the better we can guide our children.

Posted April 2, 2014

I have been a parent at Hendricks since 2010 when my son started Pre-K3. He is now in kindergarten. He started late in the school year and had difficulty socializing with others and expressing himself effectively. Hendricks staff identified where he needed extra support far better than the three other preschools he had been in before. The preschool program has been so wonderful that he is now a very outgoing, social, academic leader in his class. Having worked in the public school system before, I don't believe he would have been anywhere close to where he is today in that environment, and I credit that to the amazing people at Hendricks Day School.

Posted March 10, 2014

I have a child in the Pre-K 3 program here at Hendricks Day School and consider this school to be such an amazing blessing. The preschool program offers such a wide range of experiences and opportunities for growth making it worth every penny. He is challenged and engaged on a daily basis, always coming home with fascinating, hilarious, loving stories to share. I have been especially impressed with the open and constant communication between teachers, administration, and the school in general. Hendricks is an open and loving place; they want their families to be involved and feel welcomed. Every day when we come to school, I am confident that I am dropping my little one off where he is loved, protected, and challenged. He is encouraged and pushed constantly to become a better, stronger, more well-rounded individual who can think critically and take responsible risks. At Hendricks, they focus on the mind, body, spirit, and heart. As a parent, there is no better feeling.

Posted March 3, 2014

It is a loving, nurturing and safe environment blessed with caring and dedicated teachers, staff and administration. The Pre K - Middle School program is phenomenal, they set a high academic standard in a stimulating, fun environment. The students are constantly exposed to art, music, movement at appropriate age experiences in keeping with the times. HDS helps build the "whole child" as they support academic excellence, character building, and good citizenship along with parent Involvement supported by an open door policy. We are proud of the smart, confident, young lady that HDS has helped us grow!

Posted February 19, 2014

Both of our children have attended HDS. The faculty is top-notch, the extensive resources offered cannot begin to compare with other schools, and the school-community is like no other. Our youngest child has blossomed through the early childhood and elementary programs, gaining both personal and academic confidence. The teachers and staff go above and beyond to create the most personalized experience possible. Our oldest child had the benefit of experiencing Hendricks' early childhood, elementary, and middle school programs, and is now a successful International Baccalaureate high-school student. We love HDS!

Posted February 7, 2014

As a parent with two children who have now graduated from Hendricks, it is with great pleasure that I return to share my overwhelming happiness with this school. I could not be more pleased with how both of my children have transitioned into high school. Not only have they had success academically, but athletically, socially, and emotionally. Hendricks gave them everything they needed! They both have a 3.8 GPA or higher. My daughter has just been recommended for the National Honor Society and the Spanish Honor Society. She lettered this year as a sophomore in a sport that she played for the first time at Hendricks in 6th grade. Both of my children have more friends than they know what to do with. They have grown into very independent and mature leaders. I can't think of one night that they have asked for help from me for anything. I give Hendricks Day School a thumbs-up for helping my children become who they are today. I cannot think of a better place to raise children!

Posted January 30, 2014

My children have attended this school since PK3. We have been very pleased with the faculty and environment of this school. My daughter was given the privilege of participating in the athletic program this year. She was encouraged and supported as she learned the sport. What a confidence builder! The faculty and staff are open and loving. We feel valued. The academics are strong and we are confident that our children will be very prepared when they leave Hendricks for high school.

Posted January 17, 2014

While many schools are cutting back on the resources, Hendricks Day School is doing the opposite. As a parent, and quite frankly as a person, I have learned that if we focus only on facts, we no longer have an enthusiasm for learning. Hendricks promotes the idea that resources work with the classroom and the school as a whole and then integrates all areas of learning. Hendricks offers Technology, Library, Music, Art, Spanish, and PE multiple times a week. The staff loves each child and our children have grown immensely. They not only allow each child to reach their potential, but then take them even further. I love that my child is safe and loved at all times.

Posted December 2, 2013

As an alumni parent, I often look back at our time spent at Hendricks and find countless ways my children were prepared for high school and college. As I expected, the academic and social transition was very smooth. As an added bonus, the athletic program taught my child how to compete, how to be on a team and the importance of winning and losing with integrity. Sending our children to Hendricks was one of the best decisions we could have made.

Posted November 18, 2013

Hendricks Day School is a wonderful school. They have a family-oriented and supportive environment. My children have been attending this school for seven years. The teachers are always willing to offer extra help and instruction, when needed. The teachers go out their way to help the children succeed in all they do. The students receive a variety of experiences through the classroom, resources, and extra curricular field trips. Hendricks has been a great school for our family.

Posted October 30, 2013

This is our 4th year at Hendricks and it has been a wonderful experience. The teachers are amazing at what they do and the Administration always go above and beyond. My children feel loved and love learning here - I couldn't ask for anything more. This truly is an extraordinary school and I'm so glad we found it.

Posted October 21, 2013

This is my 15th year with Hendricks. I continue to be pleased as a parent and feel that my children are receiving an excellent education. The teachers really know my children and provide support in all areas. As a parent, I really appreciate the fact that the teachers and staff take a team approach.

Posted October 15, 2013

This is my family's sixth year at Hendricks. Our older children have moved on to high school and been very prepared, both academically and emotionally. Hendricks has improved each and every year. The faculty and staff have never been better. Although the campus at Hendricks is sweet and simple, the school has provided experiences in learning, athletics and resource classes for my children that are unrivaled by other schools in Jacksonville.

Posted September 23, 2013

This is truly an amazing school. It's not the cheapest private school in Jacksonville, but you get every penny's worth out of it. The academics, as well as the focus on critical thinking skills, are great, but it is really the loving, nurturing atmosphere that makes it so special. My child is in her fourth year there, and she loves it and is eager to go each day. The extended day staff is wonderful as well.

Posted June 3, 2013

My daughter has been attending HDS for 5 years now. She have thrived and loves all her teachers, classmates and the school as a whole. She will be attending until 8th grade which is the last grade that offer. I really wish they would expand to a high school soon.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:10 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Linda Johnson, Ed.d.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (904) 720-0435

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Drama club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis