Greenwood School

Private | 6-12

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Sweep tile

Posted March 30, 2012

Great school! I love how wonderful most of the teachers are and I can honestly say that it is a great investment

Posted August 18, 2011

Greenwood School is a little known gem of a school for smart kids with learning difficulties. Small class size and teachers who understand these learning issues. I feel the teachers genuinely care about our son and "get" him. When he is picked up at the end of the day, he is happy. There are different activities, inside and outside of the classroom for the students. Our son loves the music class where there are drums, electric guitars, synthesizers, keyboards and DJ mixing machines.

Posted August 9, 2011

I would hope that parents reading these will enjoy the positive comments and read the negative comments with an understanding that not all schools are a best fit for all kids. We have been at Greenwood for 2 years and know that all schools have their ups and downs. We have been very pleased with the education our child has received. Communication is good and they understand the needs of my child. They know how to teach my child strategies for learning specific to their disability. The teachers are positive and know how to handle situations in the classroom. When I read the negative comments, I wonder did these parents even get to know the staff? Did they spend time with their child each night when they needed help? It doesn't sound like the Greenwood I know. I am a very active parent with my child's education. Also, the parent that commented about the teacher that was arrested...I am sure there is no one in your family that has any problems, huh? You can't judge a school by one teacher.

Posted June 24, 2011

My two sons attended Greenwood also and went to this school for 5 years. My oldest son was kicked out in the middle of his Junior year and the reason was he was not teachable. We were called and told to come and clear is locker.(Hateful)Then shortly after my youngest son was removed. I should have sued them, but you have to choose your battles and I know they will hang themselves with all the hateful and mean things that is done at this school. Needless to say my oldest son who was deemed not teachable has graduated from high school with honors and is on his way to college. My youngest son is also excelling at another school, I'm so thankful for having God in my life and on my side.

Posted March 31, 2011

I was one of the very first students enrolled at Greenwood school. And the longest attending. That is the only school I ever attended all the way up to 12th grade. I received a good quality education. Although at times I was difficult, the teachers gave my education the attention it needed. At times I didn't listen and didn't do as well as I should (my own fault). Teachers got on me about it. Then it bothered me me, but now as I have grown up I realized they did such because they cared about my education and saw potential within me. The stuff I am reading in the reviews floors me. It seems people want to slander the school based on the poor actions of 1 or 2 people. The school was an excellent school when it started and still is to this date. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who has a child with a learning disability. Shouldn't my opinions and thoughts about this school hold some weight considering my time and experience there? All I can say is give the school a chance. They have done alot over the years and deserve alot of credit.

Posted February 7, 2011

The 1/13/11 arrest of a Greenwood high school teacher who was caught video taping people using the bathroom in a Jacksonville movie theater restroom stall says it all! This teacher had a history of other issues at the school, but they kept him anyway. This is a school out of control and since it is run by a puppet Board that is controlled by a local businessman (a big ego guy who knows little about being an educator) nothing will likely change. People are afraid to speak up about problems because when they do the Head of School will find a way to get rid of you. She's the best at sweeping everything under the rug - a real Chesire Cat! Oh, by the way, when they fired the above teacher they advertised for his replacement on Craig's List!!!

Posted June 24, 2010

20 years ago, I was told that Greenwood was an excellent school by a clay county school teacher. Being a school board employee, I was happy to try something that would help my two sons with exceptional educational needs. Boy was I surprised to find out that this was not the case! Due to the administrative changes and their philosophy, it appears that the all mighty dollar is now worth more than the success of a students' education! I enrolled two sons at Greenwood School. One did very well for the short time that he attended. The younger son, had more learning difficulties. But when confronting the administration on the services he was receiving and academic difficulties with one teacher I was told that my son "was not teachable (Too bad his IQ is 109). It felt as if we were put on the short list of students to get rid of. I was even berated, by the administration, as a parent for showing any type of concern for my child and his educational needs. Needless to say, he no longer attends Greenwood and is excelling at another school.

Posted May 6, 2010

For any parents dealing with the difficulties of finding the right school for their son/daughter with a learning disability, I can attest that there is honestly not a single, better school in Jacksonville than Greenwood - particularly at the high school level. Check with other schools - Greenwood has an excellent reputation. Some kids do not learn as well in a traditional classroom environment, and Greenwood's professional staff goes out of their way to creatively reach each student. I have never seen any school take a positive interest in kids in the way that Greenwood has with my son. He had very bad experiences in the public school system - he is starting high school next year. Unlike many other kids his age, he's actually excited about moving on to high school in the fall. This school is not for every kid - but it is the best

Posted March 17, 2010

A once good, now very mediocre school with poor leadership, declining teaching skills and no heart. On March 3, 2009 my child was forgotten and left off-site during a school field trip - how can that happen? Ask Greenwood for their IRS Form 990 (which by law any non-profit school must give you) and you'll see they lose money every year - $300,000+ in 2008. Go to www.ratemyteachers.com and you'll see what people really think about the teachers (most of the highly rated teachers have left or been fired). The focus of the Board is on 'how they look' on paper, i.e. touting their FCIS certification (which they almost lost), not on what really goes on in the classroom. Greenwood becomes less and less of a 'special needs' school every year as the school becomes more intolerant of teaching and dealing with those types of children.

Posted February 27, 2010

I'm a junior in high school right now and everything that Greenwood is providing me is perfect! The teachers are fantastic, and they have excellent communication actually, they do know how to use their tools, believe me, I've actually been in their classes. And the PTO is working their way up they just need a bit more help thats all. Oh and by the way to the review below; Greenwood school is better than many of schools in Duval County and quiet frank; Greenwood has changed since the past 5 years.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 2, 2009

Glad to be gone after 6 years. Greenwood has been on the decline since 2004 when the current administration took over. Very high faculty/staff turnover (documented to be over 20% per year for each of the last 5 years), very poor communication (they don't really use the tools mandated in their own handbook), and a disenchanted PTO (very low parent participation) characterize this school now. Don't be fooled - lots of 'dirt under the rug' here.

Posted August 9, 2009

I finally left this school after 5 years. Although it has a lot to offer, the current administration did very little to instruct the teachers on how to encourage the students to reach their full potential. Hopefully, the new board, with their plea for better communication between the parents and the teachers and administration, will be able to turn around this once fine school for children with learning disabilities.

Posted May 11, 2009

I have had the joy of having both of my children attend The Greenwood School! Both children were sliping through the cracks in public school. My son started in his 8th grade year and graduated from Greewood in 2006. He is in college and is doing quite well. Greenwood boosted his self-esteem to such a high level. He really enjoyed learning and working with his teachers. The addministration was/is willing to work with each students different problems. My daughter started at Greenwood in the 2nd grade, she still attends Greenwood and hopes to graduate in 2012. I will be looking forward to that day. On that day I will get to see her spread her wings and fly, but will be sad to leave the friends I have made there. I have worked with the school as a volunteer since they started school there and have always felt welcomed. Thank you!

Posted April 14, 2009

This is an excellent school. My son has excelled under the direction of the teaching staff

Posted February 19, 2009

This is my sons first year at Greenwod and we both LOVE it. Everyone is so very friendly and will work though any problem. He has also learned so much and stays on the A/B honor roll. There are always new sports for the children to partisapate in at no extra coast.

Posted December 25, 2008

This school is like my second home to me. This is my 4th and final senior year here. I have lots of friends here and the teachers here are just outstanding. I would never want the school to change a thing here and will always remember this school when I graduate.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 5, 2008

My son has been at Greewood since 5th grade and it has been amazing! He is about to finish his first year of high school and is doing very well. I could not find any support or help for his dyslexia in the oublic school system and thought that putting him a 'special' school would weaken him academically but it has not. The teachers at Greenwood push him to excel and he is testing above grade level on standardized tests. They have been wonderful. The administration is continually providing the teachers with opportunities to learn more about the students they teach and great things are happening. Greenwood has been the best decision we have ever made.

Posted April 8, 2008

Our son, who has ADD and is currently in the 8th grade, began in the 5th grade at Greenwood School. The Greenwood School has taught him much more than the local public schools had from K-4. They have taught him not only about achieving the standard academic subjects but also how to surpass them. Greenwood has encouraged him to believe in himself, to know how to make good choices in many areas of his life, how to be a good friend and student, and about how to achieve your goals. The teachers, administrators, parent volunteers, and fellow students have all touched his life in positive ways. I am very thankful we have had to opportunity to select a private school in Duval county and I believe we made a terrific choice in selecting Greenwood to teach our son academics, organizational skills, and social skills.

Posted March 31, 2006

My daughter has attended Greenwood for five years now and the quality of education is second to none. The small class sizes allow more one on one attention that she needed. The teachers and administrators have been very supportive and have made the whole school experience positive and welcoming. The school prepares the children not only to succeed in their studies, but provides the organizational skills needed in adulthood. I like the small school setting, giving me an opportunity to know the teachers.

Posted February 1, 2005

Outstanding School - My son is severely A.D D as I am. I sent him to Greenwood in the 9th grade to 12th. He is in his final Semester for a B.A. at UNF now, good grades - free of drug/drink problems and involved in student government! He plans to go to graduate school. I made the correct choice.

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • CEC

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special ed
  • Special eduction
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9920 Regency Square Blvd