Jacksonville, FL

Posted August 02, 2014
I couldn't be more impressed by the administration or staff. A genuine, caring family of individuals who truly care about the students and each other. I am a new teacher to the private school setting after 10 years of public school service. In the public schools teaching has resorted to focusing on a standardized test rather than student learning. In addition to the test driven instruction, delivery of material has been robbed of the ability to probe student interest. Greenwood has all bases covered and I feel very blessed to have been introduced to such a phenomenal school.

Greenwood School 3

Posted June 29, 2014
Unlike some parents who have reviewed based off of the PTO events they've attended, I actually attended and graduated from Greenwood. While I loved attending there initially, my senior year was when things really began to change. My favorite teacher left right before the year started and they replaced her with someone who was not qualified to teach chemistry. Instead of finding someone qualified to teach chemistry, they did FLVS instead. I still haven't figured out how you're supposed to earn a lab credit for an online course, but whatever. Some teachers were given classes this year that they had not taught before, and thus were learning the material just as the students were. I made the honor roll every quarter I was there, so I can't really attest to prior comments about students being told they were unteachable. However, I do know that you have to have at least a 2.0 to stay there. In fact, my senior class went from over 27 when I started to 21 by the time graduation came around.

Posted March 30, 2012
Great school! I love how wonderful most of the teachers are and I can honestly say that it is a great investment

Posted August 18, 2011
Greenwood School is a little known gem of a school for smart kids with learning difficulties. Small class size and teachers who understand these learning issues. I feel the teachers genuinely care about our son and "get" him. When he is picked up at the end of the day, he is happy. There are different activities, inside and outside of the classroom for the students. Our son loves the music class where there are drums, electric guitars, synthesizers, keyboards and DJ mixing machines.

Posted August 09, 2011
I would hope that parents reading these will enjoy the positive comments and read the negative comments with an understanding that not all schools are a best fit for all kids. We have been at Greenwood for 2 years and know that all schools have their ups and downs. We have been very pleased with the education our child has received. Communication is good and they understand the needs of my child. They know how to teach my child strategies for learning specific to their disability. The teachers are positive and know how to handle situations in the classroom. When I read the negative comments, I wonder did these parents even get to know the staff? Did they spend time with their child each night when they needed help? It doesn't sound like the Greenwood I know. I am a very active parent with my child's education. Also, the parent that commented about the teacher that was arrested...I am sure there is no one in your family that has any problems, huh? You can't judge a school by one teacher.

Greenwood School 1

Posted June 24, 2011
My two sons attended Greenwood also and went to this school for 5 years. My oldest son was kicked out in the middle of his Junior year and the reason was he was not teachable. We were called and told to come and clear is locker.(Hateful)Then shortly after my youngest son was removed. I should have sued them, but you have to choose your battles and I know they will hang themselves with all the hateful and mean things that is done at this school. Needless to say my oldest son who was deemed not teachable has graduated from high school with honors and is on his way to college. My youngest son is also excelling at another school, I'm so thankful for having God in my life and on my side.

Posted March 31, 2011
I was one of the very first students enrolled at Greenwood school. And the longest attending. That is the only school I ever attended all the way up to 12th grade. I received a good quality education. Although at times I was difficult, the teachers gave my education the attention it needed. At times I didn't listen and didn't do as well as I should (my own fault). Teachers got on me about it. Then it bothered me me, but now as I have grown up I realized they did such because they cared about my education and saw potential within me. The stuff I am reading in the reviews floors me. It seems people want to slander the school based on the poor actions of 1 or 2 people. The school was an excellent school when it started and still is to this date. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who has a child with a learning disability. Shouldn't my opinions and thoughts about this school hold some weight considering my time and experience there? All I can say is give the school a chance. They have done alot over the years and deserve alot of credit.

Greenwood School 1

Posted February 07, 2011
The 1/13/11 arrest of a Greenwood high school teacher who was caught video taping people using the bathroom in a Jacksonville movie theater restroom stall says it all! This teacher had a history of other issues at the school, but they kept him anyway. This is a school out of control and since it is run by a puppet Board that is controlled by a local businessman (a big ego guy who knows little about being an educator) nothing will likely change. People are afraid to speak up about problems because when they do the Head of School will find a way to get rid of you. She's the best at sweeping everything under the rug - a real Chesire Cat! Oh, by the way, when they fired the above teacher they advertised for his replacement on Craig's List!!!

Greenwood School 2

Posted June 24, 2010
20 years ago, I was told that Greenwood was an excellent school by a clay county school teacher. Being a school board employee, I was happy to try something that would help my two sons with exceptional educational needs. Boy was I surprised to find out that this was not the case! Due to the administrative changes and their philosophy, it appears that the all mighty dollar is now worth more than the success of a students' education! I enrolled two sons at Greenwood School. One did very well for the short time that he attended. The younger son, had more learning difficulties. But when confronting the administration on the services he was receiving and academic difficulties with one teacher I was told that my son "was not teachable (Too bad his IQ is 109). It felt as if we were put on the short list of students to get rid of. I was even berated, by the administration, as a parent for showing any type of concern for my child and his educational needs. Needless to say, he no longer attends Greenwood and is excelling at another school.

Posted May 06, 2010
For any parents dealing with the difficulties of finding the right school for their son/daughter with a learning disability, I can attest that there is honestly not a single, better school in Jacksonville than Greenwood - particularly at the high school level. Check with other schools - Greenwood has an excellent reputation. Some kids do not learn as well in a traditional classroom environment, and Greenwood's professional staff goes out of their way to creatively reach each student. I have never seen any school take a positive interest in kids in the way that Greenwood has with my son. He had very bad experiences in the public school system - he is starting high school next year. Unlike many other kids his age, he's actually excited about moving on to high school in the fall. This school is not for every kid - but it is the best

Greenwood School