No rating

Christ's Church Academy

Private | K-12 | 637 students

We are best known for quality Christian education.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $100,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted August 25, 2011

My son has been at Christ's Church Academy (formerly known as Mandarin Christian School) since Kindergarten and he is now in the Eighth grade. I have been more than pleased in the education he is receiving. The teachers are well qualified and interested in being where they are. They certainly are not making what public school teachers are making and yet they show more care and concern than I have seen from many public school teachers (and I worked for the public school system). I like that the school is small and the students are known by all teachers whether or not they are in that teacher's class. Sure, there are some minor problems that are being worked out. I don't believe there is a school anywhere that is perfect. Overall, the school is well worth the money and the personalized attention! GO EAGLES!

Posted August 17, 2011

We have been at MCS/CCA for 4 years now. Yesterday was our 1st day of school for the 2011/2012 school year. My youngest child came home yesterday hating school. We have a new school this year. However, it isn't for the students to enjoy. There can be no pictures on the walls or windows in the classrooms and resource rooms. No snacks in the classrooms. However, the teachers ate in front of the kids inside the classrooms yesterday!! My husband & I left orientation with our jaws open. The new Mr. Coffey was less than friendly. I don't think he smiled once while on stage threating the parents with saw horses -not resolutions. Definately was not warm and welcoming! Big drop in enrollment this year, so their solution is to pack the kids into classes and get rid of teachers. We have no kitchen this year. But rather than raise $ for a kitchen, the funds will go to an already existing auditorium. Every year it seems to get worse. Huge administration changes EVERY YEAR for the past 4 years. We are searching for another school for next school year already. Walls, carpet & lighting look nice but children can't enjoy the environment!

Posted July 16, 2011

My daughter was at MCS for one year, and we left in favor of an top-rated public school. The academics are fine and the staff is nice...but I was disappointed in the lack of emphasis on biblical values. My child was bullied several times during the year, and the staff did nothing. I have friends who are still at MCS, and their kids also experience it. I was also put off by the continual nickel-and-diming mentality, and the snobby attitudes of the "wealthier" students. I found myself wondering why we continue to pay a hefty tuition for something I didn't feel we were getting. We are very happy we made the switch; it just wasn't for us.

Posted June 16, 2011

We were so impressed with our first year at MCS. Our daughter's teacher went above and beyond in helping her excel during the school year. I felt safe bringing her there everyday and I knew she was in great hands. It may not have all the bells and whistles (but it certainly has much more going for it than the public schools these days!) as some of the other pricier schools, but if you value a genuine Christian, family-like atmoshphere, then this is the place for you.

Posted June 8, 2011

My son just finished kindergarten at MCS. I was very pleased with everything about the school. Academic excellence was stressed by Ms. Chambers & assistent. If we don't move from this area, he will attend next year.

Posted May 26, 2010

Caring teachers on a daily basis. Academics are on target and challenging! Reassuring in the faith! Encouragement for students!

Posted March 17, 2010

Huge improvements in such little time! Morale is way up in the past several weeks and families that were determined to leave under old leadership are already making their way back. I'm very proud of the MCS administration and the leadership at Christ's Church for making the right decisions. We are a family and we will work together for the good of our family. I know they will continue to seek God's will in all decisions, big and small. We have excellent teachers who know their curriculum and know God's word. It doesn't get much better than MCS! Thank you MCS for all you do for our family!

Posted December 30, 2009

This is my family's first year at MCS and we have fallen in love. I have never known teachers at schools we attended previously who were as helpful and accommodating as those at MCS. The concern they have for their students is genuine and they continually go above and beyond to ensure success. Dr. Threadcraft clearly has his finger on the pulse of the school. We feel as though we're part of a warm community when we arrive every day.

Posted December 30, 2009

I attended Mandarin Christian School from second to twelfth grade. I am in my first year of college and I could not feel more prepared. MCS helped me learn how to succeed in every environment. Not only did I get accepted to every college I applied to, but after my first semester in college, I earned straight A's! I know that if I had grown up in a different school, this would not have been possible. The teachers are great. Everytime I visit the school, all of my teachers ask how I am doing. They still care about their students well after they have graduated! It's a nurturing and challenging environment. As long as the student is ready for it, the teachers will help them. The school may have many flaws, but every school does. I am always thankful for the opportunities I have because of MCS.

Posted December 10, 2009

Great School - Great Staff --- New families have remarked how this feels like the 'right' place to be. Proud to be an MCS family. Reading through some of the remarks below, grammar, punctuation and phrase would seem to indicate that the negative messages are likely coming from one or two individuals that collaberatively have an axe to grind... what fruit of the spirit can come from negative dialogue? I hope that any nay-sayers are blessed if they feel the need to move on.

Posted December 10, 2009

Change isn't always easy, but it is sometimes necessary for growth. Classic 'change model' behavior is clearly evident in some of the responses already posted. It's unfortunate that people look for negative without taking the time to understand facts. Our new headmaster has handled quite a bit of adversity with class and aplomb... I'm happy to have our kids challenged to grow and learn in a way that brings out the best in each child spiritually, physically, and mentally... It's a great environment that will bring out the best for our kids as future leaders. The staff IS awesome and energized... BTW - HOMEWORK IS A FACT OF LIFE AND HELPS TO ESTABLISH A GOOD WORK ETHIC. Thanks Again MCS -

Posted November 20, 2009

Best principals around! Awesome teachers! Aamzing staff! Wonderful Fine Arts and electives. Sports program is growing, not the best for those who are serious about playing at a college level. I think the leadership is weak in that area. Cafeteria not too bad, could be better but not much for Rosita to work with, definitely NOT her fault! She's amazing. Not crazy about the new head guy, could be the breaking point for us, honestly. The high school was pretty great last year, wonderful teachers, students seem much more out of control this year. Maybe if busniess office was on campus that would be seen? Great staffers! Trying to sound more positive and less negative but we aren't very happy this year. too much homework. Love the facilities guys! They are always willing to help! Great Christian leadership should be expected, feel they missed the boat as well.

Posted November 12, 2009

Thanks to Dr Threadcraft enrollment is up, academic standards remains, the atheletic program has improved, the girls Volleyball team came in 2nd in the regionanl playoffs, the boys football programs JV/Varsity will finish high in district and conference ranking for the first time in MCS history (varsity team is 7-3). The Basketball team is projected to be a district leader and baseball is slated to win it all. I am excited about about my school, especially during these troubling times. MCS is my second family and i can do all things through christ (phil 4:13).

Posted November 11, 2009

I've never seen a school where not only can you not find the headmaster, his assistant is part time?!?! Not there at drop off or dismissal. Very nice lady but it makes no sense at all! Where is the school board? How many people applied for the headmaster position? Was this the best we could do? This man does not set the example of a godly man in his words or actions. I feel a tension in the air that was never there before. Staff look unhappy and are on edge. We won't be back. Sadly MCS made a huge mistake because I hear many families stating the same thing. the arrogance in the main leadership is apparent. I've been at MCS for years and was one of the biggest cheerleaders for them on here but now, I'm not comfortable with my kids there.

Posted October 7, 2009

MCS has potential, but really missed the boat when they hired Dr. Threadcraft. He lacks spiritual leadership and it is quite obvious when he opens his mouth. We are hanging out one more year to see if the leadership opens their eyes and finds someone new. Next fall - if he stays, we leave.

Posted August 29, 2009

I have pulled all three of my children from MCS. We started in elementary school and when they made it to middle school to play sports this is when the disappointment set in. MCS has a long way to go before the athletic department is successful. I believe some changes in the administration would be a big help. I love this school and would like to see changes made to the athletic department. Then we probably would consider coming back.

Posted July 11, 2009

I moved my kids from public school to MCS for the academics not the sports program. MHS have a talent pool of about 750 athletes out of 3000 students. Only about 3% plays at the collegiate level. MCS have about 30 true student athletes to choose from out of 114 highschool studentsand those athletes play 2-3 sports. MCS has coaches that have played college, professional coached highschool and professional sports. This coming school year there will be athletes that transfer or return to MCS because of the improvement of the sports program. I read these reviews alot andmy suggestion is if you have a complaint about MCS, along with the complaint offer a suggestion to make it better.

Posted July 10, 2009

I have 3 children who attend this school. My oldest son has been there for 7 years. The teachers love and pray for our kids every day. You will not find a more caring and attentive staff at any school, here or abroad. And I have complete and total faith in the administration and trust their decisions without question. From the moment you walk through the door, you feel like you belong. From my experience here, the only thing lacking are the sports programs/coaching.

Posted May 14, 2009

I was impressed with the steps our staff took when they held an all school yard sale just to raise money for financial aid to help keep families at our school during a hard financial time. Most schools would have used that money for their everyday budget, but our school cares about the families that attend and THAT is exactly why we're there. Factor in the high level curriculum and the Godly teachers, and you have a school that is second to none in the Jacksonville area.

Posted February 26, 2009

I pesonally love Mcs and would never want to go any where elese the teachers are very helpful and supportive and i feel that with this education i can go very far. I have friends in my grade that will be changing next year and what i want to know is why why why...........

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • High school recently won two engineering competition awards: Jacksonville University and The USA Army Corps of Engineers (2009)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • Varies by grade
School end time
  • Varies by grade
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • FLGA-LCMS
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (904) 880-3251

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Our parent-teacher partnership (ptp) program plays a significant role in mandarin christian school
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor