No rating

Christ's Church Academy

Private | K-12 | 637 students

We are best known for quality Christian education.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $100,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted January 28, 2009

I love this school. I can't imagine sending my kids anywhere else. GREAT teachers, great academics, great opportunities. While public schools are cutting fine arts and PE, MCS is expanding in those areas!!! So important for our kids...

Posted December 30, 2008

I thave 3 childen attending MCS. Two in the elementary school and one in middle school this year and high school next year. We have been part of MCS for 8 years and I could never imagine leaving. The most wonderful, loving, staff, and teachers around. High quality acedemics and postive Christian atomosphere is what makes MCS so special. I would not want my children any other place!

Posted December 3, 2008

I was just reading the other reviews and noticed that someone wrote that marketing wasn't really doing anything and they saw nothing that screams MCS. I find that to be inaccurate as I see MCS ads and information all over Jacksonville. I've seen our ads in local newspapers on several occasions, as well as actual articles written about our school. This is the very reason I even found out about the school. I was just coming to this site to boast about the leadership and teachers of our school. As a fairly new family to MCS, one that has been to a total of 3 other schools before MCS, I can say that this is a special place. The leadership has evident hearts for Christ, and the teachers are phenomenal. I'm eager to see where our new Headmaster will take us.

Posted December 3, 2008

MCS offers a strong curriculum that is challenging for my son. In this society of 'teaching to the FCAT', crude behavior in the public schools, unqualified teachers whose tenure secure their jobs, we are blessed to have the opportunity for a real education. The public schools and many of the private schools in Jacksonville are just plain sad. The small class size is hard to beat and the teachers are like none I've seen before - caring, dedicated and competent. I recently read that it is not a requirement for private schools to ensure teacher certification, but after researching our own school, I found that all MCS teachers are certified and beyond! We love this school!

Posted August 25, 2008

Striving for excellence, but not perfect. None of us are after all. Kingdom Education with commited hearts at the helm are steering this vessel. We are all works in progress.

Posted June 5, 2008

We had a great year at MCS this year. My child's teacher was very involved and was helpful with a specific problem we dealt with at the beginning and middle of the year. After talking with friends who have children in public schools, I'm so glad we made a decision to send our child to a Christian School. The Fine Arts department is top-notch and has more options/variety than most other schools in this area. MCS - you're doing great!

Posted May 21, 2008

I'm so thankful for a school with teachers and leaders who are grounded in God's word, and making it a priority to instill that on my children. After watching an incredibly special inaugural senior graduation last week, I have a renewed sense of excitement at the future my children have in this school. This is an awesome, God-centered school and my family couldn't be happier. Highly recommended!

Posted May 16, 2008

Wow! What a great education my child is getting. My friends child transferred to public school after 8 years at MCS and says public school is way to easy. He is in all advance classes now.

Posted May 12, 2008

My daughter loves MCS. We have been very pleased with the teachers. While it is not perfect, it is a good school. I find it interesting that many of the parents that complained about the school have trouble writing sentences that are grammatical correct!

Posted May 6, 2008

Thank God it is almost over. The school I once loved is falling apart at the seams. Elementary leadership is awesome but homework is overbearing! I'm tired of spanish being driven down our throats a well. Exercise please the kids need it daily! Healthy food is a must! my child got 7 nachos and had to ask for more, which they wanted me to pay for! defensive, non listening administration. Time to open the eyes up the school is drowing. The sports department is ran horribly! This school was top notch at one time and still can be but there's been a lot of damage! Lots to fix, morale is down and parents in the hallway aren't happy.

Posted April 24, 2008

I was so relieved when MCS added high school. The thought of sending my child to public high school was terrifying! Academically, other schools just don't compare. And the Fine Arts department has so much more to offer than I have seen elsewhere. I have also had the opportunity to see first hand the caring nature of the principal and dean, and I'm quite sure we would never get this kind of family atmosphere from most other schools. I love this school and so does my child.

Posted April 23, 2008

The school has really gone down hill in the past two years. i'll be withdrawling my children. the sports program (or lack there of) has coaches that never even played their sport, not smart or safe. kids scream the Lord's name in vain, not one adult intercedes. Biblical world view doesn't seem to be the quest more like your pocketbook. administration is unapprochable and takes ligitimat issues personally and defensively. they think we parents dont get it but we do get it. Too much homework, too tough schoolwork, no time for kids to be kids. 8 hours a day should be sufficient to learn. hours of useless homework. pushing way too hard way too fast on our youth. I want my kids to remember having fun growing up not always doing homework thee teachers aren't teaching. no wonder teen issues are on the rise they never have down time.

Posted April 5, 2008

This is our first year at MCS and my son is in First grade. After such a bad time in the Duval county public schools for kindergarten we decided to make a change. His teacher is great and the elementary school principal has gone above and beyond for my son. My only complaint is that it is very expensive and with our second child entering kindergarten next year it will be very rough and I dont know if we can send them long term. I just wish a christian education was more affordable for a middle class family with 2 kids. and the second child discount of 135.00 for the year(13.50 per month) didnt really help when this school will be getting about 17,000 dollars from me next year with tuition and before and after care for my 2 kids. I think they need a better second child discount.

Posted April 2, 2008

MCS has great teachers for the most part, there are a few that never smile and always bite your head off or are gossiping about the students and other teachers in the halls. The AD is unapproachable and rude. The sports program is drowning and the heads of school need to get his heads out of the sand and start listening to what the parents and students want and need sense she won't. My girls have had more friends leave this school for this very reason. Favortism is so apparent with the softball program as I'm sure others. I mean can his daughter win the award every? Mine don't even play and would never for this school. You can't tell me the AD can't see that! teacher always sitting at desk and not teachig when I go. Curriculum is too hard for an average student. Don't build MCS they won't come.

Posted February 13, 2008

Mandarin Christian School has been such a great experience for my child and my family. It is like a second home to us. MCS has such a caring staff and active parent organization. Thanks and keep up the great job.

Posted February 7, 2008

We have two children in the school. One in the upper school and one in the lower school. We love this place. What a great blend of Christian perspective, academic excellence, and extra-curricular activities. MCS is a safe and caring place and they really do want what is best for each child and family. We love to volunteer and be involved in our children's school and MCS allows us to be active participants in the education of our children. We highly recommend the school to our friends and those that are looking for a Christian school experience.

Posted October 12, 2007

MCS is a terrible horrible place. The tuition ends up being, like, 3 times more expenisve than they say too. Hidden costs galore! Academics are bad and so are the sports teams. My kids hate this place.

Posted October 9, 2007

The academics at Mandarin Christian have suffered greatly since the addition of the high school. While there are still some excellent teachers who really care about the students, many of the teachers could not care less. MCS lacks an actual lab, but offers classes centered around lab work. This is our ninth year at this school, and my 4 bright and athletic children will all be leaving very shortly.

Posted October 8, 2007

Mandarin Christian School was once a very loving environment where my children were very happy. However, we have been greatly disappointed by [the] administration. My children are no longer challenged, only miserable. The Upper School is of very poor quality. Mandarin Christian can once again become a great school, but to do so, it needs to listen to the needs of its families. Mandarin Christian is simply not worth your time.

Posted January 9, 2007

My children are in 5th and 8th grade and have been MCS since Kindergarten. We absolutely love this school! The academics are strong as well as the sports and fine arts programs. The environment is supportive yet challenges the students to always do their best. The partnership between the administration, teachers, and parents is strong.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • High school recently won two engineering competition awards: Jacksonville University and The USA Army Corps of Engineers (2009)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • Varies by grade
School end time
  • Varies by grade
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • FLGA-LCMS
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (904) 880-3251

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Our parent-teacher partnership (ptp) program plays a significant role in mandarin christian school
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor