No rating

First Coast Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 640 students

We are best known for Christ-centered education.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $70,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

We have had 2 children at FCCS. One has graduated and the other is in High School now. We were previously at another Christian School and the Lord led us to First Coast Christian and we have been here for 6 years. I say "we" because First Coast involves the parents in the education of their children. No school is perfect and we've had both good and bad experiences over time. The administration and teachers are willing to resolve any issues that arise. The school has many wonderful teachers that love their students and take their jobs seriously by seeking the Lord's guidance. I read some of the comments regarding the athletic department and must disagree. The coaches put emphasis on playing hard with a Christian attitude and good sportsmanship rather than winning. I recommend FCCS.

Posted September 5, 2014

I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone!!!! I know everyone has their own experience but this school is horrible. The staff and teachers are hypocrites. This school is only worried about one thing and that is money . Be prepared to receive numerous calls about your child behaviors and an upset child. STAY AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted March 26, 2014

Most of the teachers at first coast work there so they can get their kids in for free. They have no compassion for their students in class. The elementary principle for k-5 is horrible. She told me my kids would get more one on one at a public school, which is lie! This school is far from Christian, well when it comes to their teachers and principals. Most of the teachers there are all about gossip and love to talk about the kids that they're suppose to be encouraging and motivating to do the right things and be good people. This school is ridiculous. I've never had so many friends and family complain and remove their kids from a school especially a Christian private school. My kids weren't happy at that school. I wouldn't recommend this school to no one!

Posted August 2, 2013

I graduate a couple years ago from FCCS and it was a joke. The only thing worse than than their academics is their athletics. not to mention majority of the teachers and students are hypocrites. I consider FCCS a public school you pay for

Posted August 19, 2011

My daughter will be in 7th grade this year (2011-12). She has been at FCCS since K3. I am very pleased with the strong academic and spiritual aspects. FCCS is a family-oriented school. Not only the classroom teachers know my daughter's name but also other teachers and staff. The Preschool / Elementary principal as well as her assistant know most of the students' first name (if not all). The teachers are quick to give you feedback with any concern you have addressed. New students are very much well welcomed and the interaction between grade level is great. You can feel the friendship . My comments are based in my elementary experience.

Posted August 19, 2011

Our daughter has attended FCCS since K3. She will be in 7 grade this coming school year 2011-2012. We are very pleased with the strong academic and spiritual environment. FCCS is a family-oriented school. The teachers are quick to give you feedback with any concern. The Preschool / Elementary principal and even her assistant knows most of the students (if not all) by their first name. Not only my daughter's teachers knows her by name, but other teachers knows her name as well. The students interact well between grade level and they know each other.

Posted June 6, 2011

This is the only school I would send my children. I have been at several other Christian schools, and this one far surpasses the others. The teachers are wonderful, and the students are respectful.

Posted May 7, 2010

I have been attending this school since pre-k, and I love it. I'm in the high school, and it's not as bad as it seems. We've had a lot of ups and downs, but it is an overall great school. I'd have to disagree strongly with some of the sports comments. Of course, we like winning, but our athletes have some of the best attitudes in Jacksonville, win or lose. The fine arts program is going very strong too. The one thing that seems to be missing in these reviews are the spiritual emphasis. First Coast's mission really is for the kids to get saved, and to grow in their faith while in the school. The high school/jr. high chapels are great. We have excellent speakers, and many kids are saved as a result, and you can see it visibly in their lives. This truly is a great, Christian school.

Posted January 4, 2009

First Coast has a great curriculum, but a few of the teachers don't really teach. They're forceful in their opinions and the administration thinks everything is a joke.

Posted July 30, 2008

I have two children that have attended FCCS; one since K-3 and the other since K-5. One has graduated (Awarded Bright Futures Scholarship), the other is in high school. Throughout the years we have had both good and bad experiences. The administration has always been receptive to resolving issues, and I have been able to satisfactorily solve any problem. One child is in sports, the other was not. They have both been treated the same. I am surprised about the sport emphasis comments. While all coaches want to win, the focus is most certainly on sportsmanship and Christian attitude rather than 'winning.' True, over the last couple of years, there has been a high turnover of teachers. Unfortunately, some excellent teachers have left FCCS, but for better opportunities, as it is difficult for private schools to have a salary and benefit structure that rivals publically funded schools. I highly recommend FCCS.

Posted July 16, 2008

After reading all the reviews, I felt I needed to describe my opinion and experiences. I have my 3 children attending the school. I have to say that the elementary program is excellent! Not only for the academic program, the other activities and spiritual foundation and Christian environment that is always present is commendable. In comparing with my neighbors experiences in their kids' public education, this schools' program and costs are worth it. I have to agree that the discipline system needs to be revised. Although I prefer the discipline aspect to be firm compared to public schools, some teachers do abuse the system. Regarding the Jr. High and High School academic program, I have to say that the statistics show a very good rate of graduating students receive scholarships and continue into college. So far, my oldest is doing well. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone! Thanks.

Posted June 6, 2008

this school was terrible. they treat the children badly and is not would be thought of from a private school. i would never reccomend thias school.

Posted May 22, 2008

I sent my son here for K4. In the matter of one school year he is already reading, writing and doing basic math. Well worth the money. The teachers are outstanding! Would send my sonback if we weren't moving. The school will be missed

Posted October 14, 2007

The lower school is fantastic and the teachers are wonderful. However, the high school leaves much to be desired. I would not recommend any parent to send their child to the school if they are going into high school. The high school teachers are underpaid and it shows; with the exception of a few, they would probably be fired from the public school system based on their poor performance. The high school places a lot of emphasis on sports and if your child is not an athlete they are not treated the same.

Posted September 7, 2007

Contrary to what most of the former reviews have stated, First Coast Christian is an excellent school and has helped me become successful as a college student academically, spiritually and emotionally. I attended First Coast for four years, and I am a better person now than I was before I first came there. At First Coast, I was taught to be responsible, show integrity, and love others with Christ's love. First Coast pushed me academically moreso than anywhere else I had ever been. Because my teachers loved me enough to help me strive to do my best, I was able to take college couses while still in high school and was also the president of my senior class. I was an active member of the Beta Club, National Honor society, and varsity volleyball team. I graduated with honors and I know who I am as an individual because of this school!

Posted February 21, 2007

Overall this school leaves much to be desired it is not the wonderful school they would like you to believe. Another review talked about the High School and the students being required to fit into a 'mold' that is absolutely true! Another thing is that they place a large Emphasis on Sports and winning trophies. I suppose that could be said about a lot of high schools, but for one that prides itself in 'student development' they sure don't do a lot for the students who don't play sports. When you question a teacher or administrator you are treated as if you are lucky your child was accepted there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 24, 2006

The organization of the school is in disarray.

Posted October 3, 2006

This school is very much a school in disarray. The administrative and teacher turnover has caused this school to be a sub-par performer in preparing students for the real world situations. It is ok if you send your children up to 5th grade there, but once your child gets to 6th grade, you are playing Russian roulette with your child's education. (Take it from a former teacher at FCCS)
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 16, 2006

One of the reviews on this page states that First Coast does not get their children ready for college due to the cirriculum being offered. I find that very hard to believe due to the statistics from last years graduating class. They had approximately 35 graduating students and over half of the kids received 'Bright Future' scholarships and 2 or 3 others received full scholarships to other institutes. I would love to hear of any other stats to compare this to. I am very proud of my child who has been atttending this school for 11 years and maintains a 3.5 GPA. I believe in their principles and their teachings of Christianity which is such an important factor missing in todays society and public schools. God Bless

Posted April 28, 2006

My son attended FCCS from K-3 to 1st grade. The academic curriculum is terrific. He was reading at 4 & received a fabulous foundation to build on. The teachers are caring, highly qualified individuals who are grounded in their Christian beliefs. We give this school an A+!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation UNF, Florida State College Jacksonville, Trinity Christian College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Music teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
College counselor(s)
Art teacher(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• College presentations or information sessions
  • Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Rick Spain
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (904) 777-3045

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom

School-based aid
Outside scholarships
Tax credits

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University of North Florida
Florida Community College at Jacksonville
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses

7587 Blanding Boulevard