Posted November 14, 2014
I do think there i homework. But its nessasry homework the school is great and it challenge s the students and prepares them for the next level and beyond. Raising the standards is a great thing and thats what LaVilla does. Sending your child somewhere because you think its easier or because they have less home work is insane. Lets teach our kids time management. We wil all be better for it.I love the school

Posted January 16, 2014
My oldest son has been in the band program for 7th and 8th grade. I have been very pleased with the school, minus interactions with one teacher that I wish my child didn't have. Other teachers have more then made up for it. I think that happens at just about any school though. The band program has been great. Parental involvement is welcomed and encouraged. We like it so much that we are hoping that our younger children end up at LaVilla, too.

Lavilla School Of The Arts 2

Posted November 27, 2013
according to my friend this school has way to much homework he is unsatisfied thats why i go to lakeshore

Lavilla School Of The Arts 4

Posted August 08, 2013
Overall, I'm very pleased with Lavilla! It is a wonderful school, with terrific arts area teachers! My child was in the Vocal department, and she received wonderful instruction. Mr. Pendry ( a vocal teacher ) is super nice, and his students adore him! Pros; It was great to have the bussing back this upcoming year, and MOST of the academic teachers are great. Cons; The administration lacks patience when dealing with their students, and they are un-cooperative. Generally, I would like to see and hear more of the principal. Of course, just like any other school, the lunches are nothing pretty. :) BUT I loved this school, and had a wonderful experience with it!!! Recommend it? YES. :)

Lavilla School Of The Arts 2

Posted August 05, 2013
i forgot to add periods on my last reveiw. but this school is not all the hype and there always asking kids for money. how are you going to be the best in duval when you should get money for doing your best and if your asking us for money how did they get the money to take the kids to france and let the school see bill cosby

Lavilla School Of The Arts 1

Posted April 15, 2013
The odds of getting into this school are practically nil! I don't know why the Duval County School Board doesn't publish kids chances of getting into this school if they are not in one of the feeder schools? My child took private art lessons and was encouraged to audition. After a grueling 3 hour audition and months of waiting we find out he was not selected. After speaking with other parents, I find out there are really only about 10 slots available for non-feeder school kids (there were probably 200 kids auditioning for art). It is my understanding that, years ago, before there were all these feeder schools, other kids had a better chance of getting in. What a waste of time and getting my child's hopes up. Again, publish the chances of one's child being selected and save everyone the hassle.

Lavilla School Of The Arts 1

Posted October 19, 2012
I have to say that I was really very hopeful when my son began school here. Now after one quarter I now know how children can graduate and still not be able to read. The academics at the school are awful! The arts piano area, at least for this year, is also awful! There is no instruction. The teacher doesn't actually "teach" the children! They just get access to a keyboard for 1 1/2 hours 2x's a week and are assigned pieces to perfect on their own in that time. The teachers are very disorganized and provide no help. The school has perfected the art of turning pick-up in the afternoon into a competition. I have to say again-very unorganized! I had high hopes and maybe a little to high of expectations. My child is in all advanced classes and is so bored he can barely pay attention. The school is really very over-rated. I truly feel as though the school may at one time been great-but great it no longer is! I will end with saying one positive thing; the kids at the school are very nice. There really doesn't seem to be any behavioral problems. I think the kids all really want to be there; including mine-but education is important too-it is not just all about the arts.

Posted August 23, 2012
Both my children are in LaVilla this year (6th and 8th grade). THey are both advanced academically and the school has been appropriately challenging in these areas. I have been impressed with the arts training in their area and a high number of them ultimately make it in to Douglas Anderson, the audition-only high school arts school. The school is no more or less "organized" than other middle schools when comparing experiences to my friends with kids in other schools so I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about. If you are thinking about an arts-centered school for your child, realize that as a parent, you must be more involved than in a regular school so be prepared. I am very pleased overall.

Posted August 15, 2012
I'm an art student, and I'm on my final year at LaVilla! I LOVE this school. It's great. You can express yourself without being judged. I'm going to miss it so much when the eighth grade is over! X( The teachers really helped me improve a lot. I used to think I'd be the best at everything, but they helped me see what I did wrong, and I became much better. Sure at first, I thought they were just being mean. But now that I look back, I realized I needed their words. I went from not gettting anything into the gallery during the sixth grade, to getting in three pieces in during the seventh! This year, I'm striving to get in more artwork into the gallery. Sure the teachers critique you, but they aren't doing it to be mean. They actually want you to improve! And school work isn't that bad. I mean, it usually depends on which teacher you get. I got homework almost everyday, but nothing too hard. Overall, this school is great. -From, a weird eighth grader

Posted July 24, 2012
Many people i feel judge the school by its cover, but when you take the time to look deeper this is an AMAZING school to send your child to. We are a family at Lavilla everyone is looking out for each other its what we do. We have exceptional arts areas and academics as well. Everyone there has some sort of love for the arts, WE ARE ALL PERFORMERS!!! sure the teachers may be consistant in the classroom but they are striving to make us better at what we do! But if you must know one thing about this school...... its that it leaves memories (good ones) :) I'm certain you will not forget Lavilla ITS AMAZING! ~Bryanna M~ Former Lavillian~

Lavilla School Of The Arts
501 North Davis Street, Jacksonville, FL  32202
Last modified Lavilla School Of The Arts is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lavilla School Of The Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 91 reviews. Top