Jacksonville, FL

Posted May 20, 2011
I feel this is a great school now that it has been around for a few years now and has a stable principal. I feel this school is going in the right direction and is a great school to send your kids

Posted November 07, 2010
Leadership keeps changing and continued focus on FCAT and not necessarily learning. They are not given enough physical education and a select few of the teachers are far too impatient with the students. There is definitely room for improvement.

Posted October 20, 2010
I use to go there i liked it a lot but the new PRINCIPAL is not nice at all Mr.**** is a whole lot better than she is i am sorry to say this but she is not all good in my opinion. With all due respect Former student

Posted August 16, 2010
We were a little nervous about our daughter attending Oceanway Elementary since everyone I spoke to about it said it was a bad school. My husband toured the school and liked it though so we decided to try it out. My daughter is now going into 2nd grade there and we are very happy with the teachers she's had so far and with the school overall. The head staff (principal's, vice principals) keep changing every year, but all the other schools are experiencing that too. Please don't go by others opinion's as the school has changed a lot over the past few years.

Oceanway Elementary School

Posted October 27, 2009
This school needs more 1 on 1 time with the 2nd grade classes that have special needs. There is only one teacher that teaches this program and is only in the class rooms one time a week.

Posted May 31, 2007
Excellent commitment to children and education, bravo! job well done.

Posted September 04, 2006
This school is now under new management. Mr. Cobb has taken control and is beginning to turn this school around. The teachers work as a team now, and their voices are being heard. Together, with the PTA, they are changing the direction of the school, bringing it to a better place. The school does have its challenges in that it seems to have a very high number of ESE/SLD students. Don't let this put you off. The enthusiasm for change is contagious! Teachers are teaching, kids are learning. It's a whole different atmosphere than before. This is NOT the OLD Oceanway, it's a new and improved one!

Posted August 08, 2006
We recently enrolled our son in Oceanway when we moved to Florida in March 2006. I am very disappointed with the quailty of education here and am just as frustrated with the teachers. It may be a new school but the leadership, academics, and activities are almost non-existent. There are no sports programs and recess consists of a couple laps around the cirle where we pick up the kids from school (the 'new' playground is in need of repair). There is no gifted program and no effort has been made to send my son to the neighboring school one day a week, as is the rule, for the gifted classes there. There is no challenge to the curiculum and the grade levels are learning things two grade levels below where the currenly are. We are currenly looking for a new house that is not in the Oceanway school zone.

Posted May 09, 2006
If it wasn't for the fact the teachers here are great, I would have pulled my children out. The leadership here is non-existent, and any attempt to make things better are squashed by the principle,who lucky for the school is leaving. we will be going to Sheffield Elemetary because of district changes. Thank God!

Posted January 10, 2006
The teachers are very easy to work with and have tried very hard to keep my child challenged.

Oceanway Elementary School
12555 Gillespie Avenue, Jacksonville, FL  32218
Last modified Oceanway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oceanway Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top