Kernan Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1209 students

Posted June 26, 2008

This school is great! I'm goin' in seventh this year,because of all the helpful teachers! they know how to get your attention,litterally! They even put in the right people in the right classrooms! I've had the greatest friends of my life because of that school! I swear,it's the greatest school you will ever go to!

Posted June 22, 2008

This school is awesome.I went there for 6th & 7th and now I will be going into 8th. The teachers there are really caring & nice->just behave. I got into the National Honor Society b/c of Kernan! :)

Posted February 28, 2008

I went there for sixth grade and right now I'm in seventh. It's really cool there and I love my teachers. Mrs.Mendez rules!! And so do lots of other teachers. Not only teachers but also my classmates and people from the other grade. I thought i wouldn't get along with the 8th graders, but most of them are really cool and are my friends. It's a great school, but the down part is that there's not that many fun activities like spirit week or prep rallys

Posted January 24, 2008

I have had daughter at this school for 6,7 & 8th grade, the school is very clean, safe & secure. from what I can tell the teachers try really hard for the students to suceed

Posted December 25, 2007

its a great school i went there and learned a lot.

Posted November 25, 2007

I went to Kernan Middle School in 6th grade, then I moved to Virginia. I am in 9th grade now. That school was very good.! I loved my History teacher, Mrs. Hargrove!! She did History Alive days where we really got 'into' the lesson!

Posted November 9, 2007

I am a 8th grader this year, and i just wanted to say the tearchers are the bomb! They are true friends! they helpin any way they can! and i now ms.senkowskys trying really hard and keep it up!

Posted October 14, 2007

Im a student at kernan middle school and i think the school is awesome the teachers really nice they are really organized with their schedule and they handle things the right way this is the best school ever!!!

Posted August 6, 2007

I went to Kernan 6th,7th and 8th grade. The school is great and all the teachers are really nice and willing to help. They have after school tutoring (team up) 3 out of the 5 days. and also towards the end of the year kids who are in the area of possibly failing attend saturday school. also for 8th graders there is a high school spanish class you can take with a great teacher. i was in the class and went to spanish II in my 9th grade school year. overall the school is really great and has a great learning environment

Posted April 18, 2007

We have a 8th grader at Kernan Middle School, and have seen her grades drop a substancial amount with zero warning from any school educators. Also there is no system in place to have email homework reports to parents when their children say ' I have no homework'. With 12 billion going to education from lottery, I would think there would be a sevure system in place to allow parents to review homework and report cards online, and to send replies to confirm their children are doing what they should do.

Posted March 12, 2007

My child is in the 6th grade, and so far, I really like the school. My child has very good grades, but says the school is boring. I think it's because the 6 graders don't get to participate in extracurricular activities as the 7th and 8th graders. I wish teachers would assign homework on Fridays in order to give my child some work/projects on the weekend. Also, they need to give the kids at least an hour for lunch. Lastly, they may need to add more security in order to curb fights, particularly when they occur in the cafeteria or when kids arrive @ school when they get off the school bus. So far, the 6th grade is fine; According to my child's teachers, they rarely hear from or meet with parents. It appears parental involvement starts to wind down in middle school, which is sad.

Posted October 12, 2006

Kernan is a great school overall.My child participates in Track and Basketball and I see a lot of parental involvement in both sports along with some others. Maybe 10% of the teachers do not care the way that they should however you as a parent can stay on top of them.This is a very structured school and you can be rest assured your child is very safe and is learning. My child has been here for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade, and if had to do it all over again I would send her back through again. I pulled her out 1 time to attend JWJ Middle and the totally left behind.Kernan has a lot of support (TEAMUP)afterschool 3 days a week.

Posted September 29, 2006

My son is in 8th grade at Kernan Middle. I do feel like they treat them like children and I don't feel that is fair preperation for high school. I absolutley agree with the other parent about the 8th grade algebra. I don't feel that my son would be ready for algebra in highschool without the help I provide. The book skips around and is not very thorough. Besides that i do take great comfort in knowing he is at a safe school with staff that cares.

Posted September 18, 2006

This school is horrible! You've been lacking leadership for years, you are scarcely teaching these children, and the way they walk in lines is proposterous! The parent involvement is very low, and my child is not learning anything towards her future. She has her whole life planned out, but you are not giving her enough challenge to get her to WANT to be a part of another community! And the football team is horrible, and you could've provided something better than what you did provide for them I was in the crowd I saw us lose! Kernan can try harder.

Posted July 28, 2006

My child will be in 7th grade this year and is excited to go back. The music Teacher from 6th grade had a great influence on my son and his attitude about his education and behavior. Kudos Mr. Wright. Hang in there, you will have this parent's support this year. I will do my best to rally all the support I can for your music program. Keep up the great work!

Posted January 27, 2006

In my personal opinon, this school is a disaster. First, they make them stay with there homeroom. And the classes are horrible! There are only 5 kids in my kids class with the same ethnicity.

Posted January 11, 2006

My child is at Kernan Middle and has been for 6, 7, and now 8th grade. I love this school. Of course, it has faults like all schools, but it is a wonderful school. Some complain that the students there are treated like children, but I rather enjoy the safety aspects of the school. It will be a shock for those that have to transfer to high schools like Sandalwood, but that would be a culture shock for anyone. I feel that my child is challenged and the teachers for the most part are doing a good job. I do not like the 8th grade algebra or CPM math book. I think they need to throw that out and really teach Algebra to these kids. Other than that I really have no complaints. The principal helps to keep order in the school. I really appreciate the House A administrator.

Posted November 8, 2005

We have had two children attend KMS and we find the teachers and administrators to be very thourough and professional in most circumstances.

Posted August 22, 2005

Kernan is on the right track with discipline and safety. The only negative comment I have concerns the music program. My son is involved in the band, and for the second year Kernan has a new band director. Music is such an important part of life, and can give kids a great sense of purpose and self-confidence if presented skillfully. Many world-class musicians get their start in school band, and we don't want to short-change our children with a sub-par program.

Posted April 3, 2005

I have two children currently attending Kernan Middle and I am happy that I move into the area. I like structure and discipline. The fact that they travel together and on a straight line is great. It promotes safety and it also teach to follow orders and rules, something that alot of kids lack off. I would like to see better lunch meals and more time for the children to consume their lunch. Another item that I would like to see changes on is 'The leap forward program', this children should be placed in a seperate environment away from the school and be tought technical skills. They have clearly demonstrate the lack of interest in academics and can be very distracting to the rest of the student.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

342 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

340 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

377 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

376 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

379 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

378 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

376 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

380 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

400 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2271 Kernan Boulevard South