Kernan Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1209 students

Posted January 24, 2014

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Posted October 5, 2013

I'm currently a Junior in high school attending Stanton and in the IB program and I honestly feel as if Kernan has not challenged me like it should have. Yeah it's not a magnet school, but still. After 'graduating' from middle school to high school I was completely overwhelmed by all the work I had to do in Stanton. I thought that I would be able to just breeze through tests without studying (as I did in Kernan) and wow was I wrong. In my 9th grade year I carried C's and D's and some B's and an A in HOPE.. All of my peers who attended schools such as Landon or JWJ or Kirby had an advantage over me and made me feel as if I did not belong at that school. Of course, I managed to adapt to the ways but it wasted my 9th grade year which I terribly regret. Anyways, if you want your child to be mentally and intellectually challenged, don't send them to Kernan. Otherwise, go ahead and enroll them in it.

Posted September 24, 2013

How does one decipher whether a school is good or not? Do they judge it by the appearance? Do they judge it by the aroma that escapes the cafeteria? Do they judge it by the kids? Well, I'll tell you one thing, there are many, many factors that play out when rating a school. For one thing, you would have to have experienced it, and I'm one of the many who have. To start off, I'd like to say that my disposition towards Kernan Middle School is that it is a COMMENDABLE school. The teachers are dedicated, the staff all share friendly faces, and the principle is outstanding! To judge Kernan on the outside, in my mind, is completely unheard of! I've told many this story, but when I first arrived at Kernan at the age of eleven, a brand new sixth grader, I was very uninspired in school. Though I made A's and B's, I didn't really put much effort into school. Kernan changed me. Kernan inspired me to push the limits and become who I am today. The new me is the one who puts the most effort into everything that they do. The new me is the one who goes the extra mile, just to make not only myself proud, but my teachers as well. Kernan is a caring wonderful school, and is by far my favorite.

Posted August 17, 2013

My son will be starting 8th grade at KMS for the 13-14 school year which will be his 3rd and final year here and again in House A. This school is a 'comprehensive' middle school, meaning it is more on an advanced or gifted level. The teachers have been wonderful and so have the subjects he has studied. He will be starting honors math and Spanish 1 this year which will count towards High School credits. He has had hands on in all of his classes and has had no problems with anything here. The only complaint he has was his typing class in 7th grade and the cafeteria food. I don't know what other parents mean when they say there is no communication. I can email any of his teachers and most of the times they email me first. If I write a note, I'll get a response. This has been the same for any teachers on any grade level. This school also participated in the archery in schools program meaning in PE, you'll get to shoot a bow and arrow.

Posted August 29, 2012

I agree, this school is just average and just teach the basic standards and dont go above. I personally think this school won't prepare you for high school b/c they don't have the block schuedule and you'l get confused and suff. The administration can be rude as well.

Posted August 13, 2012

it says that they have an orientation on the paperwork my son got last week. it is on Friday August 17. from 9-11. unless the pape work was wrong.

Posted August 2, 2012

Disappointed that this school doesn't have an orientation before school starts. My incoming 6th grader (new to Kernan) is stressing over going to a new school and something like this would really help alleviate this stress along with a lot of other children. She is now even more worried knowing there isn't any orientation. As a parent I like to stay involved. Hope they like parents there the first day interfering with first day activities... I'll be there, as I'm sure others will be due to this. I won't just throw my child to the wind.

Posted May 3, 2011

Kernan Middle is a great school! I wish it continued on to high school... But Sandalwood here we come and we will make the absolute best of it!

Posted September 26, 2010

This is the worst school my son has ever been in! Total disconnect between administration and houses. Each house is run on their own like a school. My son started the school year here as 6th grader coming from another school district. Science teacher hands out worksheets, teachers fail to encourage students, absolutely no praise, cut corners in the classroom and send the majority of work home as homework for the student without textbooks or resources to finish and really learn it. The school hours are horrible, students start at 9:45am and get out at 4:00pm. By the time my son gets off the bus at 4:30pm we have 2 plus hours of homework, which pretty much eliminates any opportunity for extra curricular activities. He is a gifted A student who is learning to resent school for taking away all his "kid time" after homework.

Posted October 1, 2009

Not impressed with this school. My child started & we quickly pulled her out of the school. Not a good envirnoment for learning. My child missed a couple days from school & as a test I didn't call the school. Not a surprise, the school never even made a call notifying us that our child was not in class unlike our former school that would immediately notify if a student didn't attend.

Posted September 14, 2009

it a great school I go there and its the best the teacher are kind and love to help us in any way they can

Posted August 9, 2009

I think.. Kernan's lunch is very nice. and there is funny and nice ppl to hang with. But there is alot of violent. The teachers can be strict. I think it's an average school. and it's good.

Posted August 4, 2009

Kernan middle offers a averadge area to learn the standerds. I dont agree with saying that they go above standerds to offten. They clean the area average and some teachers are not sutible to be teachers as far as emotional flaws. Overall its an average school

Posted May 30, 2009

NoSpirit, you sound like one of those parents that take the sports dept way too seriously! Plus, walking in those lines helps to curb fighting(which I happen to appreciate since I was getting picked on a lot). High schoolers are more mature so they don't need to walk in orderly lines. Plus, these lines help teach the middle schooler's organization and discipline.This school is very neat, organized, clean, and well taught(has some military influences of discipline). I just graduated from eighth grade and I will really miss this school.

Posted February 10, 2009

i think this school is cool but like other schools they dont teach students what they need to know. teachers teach kids that they need to be tought every thing. when i went into homeschooling i learned more in a book then all of kernan middle could tech me.

Posted January 26, 2009

This is my 1st year at this school and i love it.Its great school all the teachers are nice and i love love that they have the advanced or gifted classes for anyone wanting a challenge .

Posted December 14, 2008

I've been going to Kernan for my whole middle school experience. Overall it is a good elementary school-notice i said elementary. Just because the Principal is also overseeing a elementary school does not mean that middle school students should be treated like they are in kindergarten-it would be nice for some independence- but the teachers are nice and caring funny too. Ms.Bass and Mr.Ball are very nice yet know how to handle the little behavior problems all the students are very different from other schools in the sense that they want to learn and do not want to get in trouble but i think if more fun things went down the students would behave a lot better.

Posted December 8, 2008

All three of my children have attended Kernan's house C. I really like the way they have broke down the school into smaller schools. It gives the kids the advantages of a larger school (athletics, library, dances, etc) but keeps the small school charm - everybody knows everyone's name. My three all had really great teachers that never hesitated to call me when there was a problem. Confrences included all the child's core teachers. My only wish is that they would try to improve communication by utilizing the internet and web pages. Listing the teachers and their e-mails for parents to better communicate, after school activities, school sports try-outs, etc. A few of the teachers have their own, which was great! It would just be nice to be able to find them all under the Kernan Middle School website.

Posted December 4, 2008

the school is amazing i was cd student and became an a-b student

Posted November 10, 2008

this school is terrible. before i came there, i was a A-B student, i recently graduated from there, and am now a C-D student at sandalwood, mainly b/c the teachers couldn't teach. also, they do not prepare kids for high school at all. they don't have a bell, tell us to walk in lines consistantly, put us in all the same classes with our homeroom classes, etc. and parents aren't very involved whatsoever. i highly do not recommend this school. you should send your kids to landmark or anywhere else possible.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

342 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

340 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

377 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

376 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

379 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

378 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

376 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

380 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

400 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2271 Kernan Boulevard South