Jacksonville, FL
Students enrolled: 1,209

Kernan Middle School 1

Posted December 11, 2014
This school really has some problems. There is a lot of bullying going on here and the adults won't do anything about it. One kid from the special class keeps saying he is going to commit suicide or shoot up the school and they let him stay in the classes with the other kids. His dad comes to the school screaming so the teachers can't say or do anything to stop him. We have some kids that don't do any work, but they go to the next grade. I don't know how this school got an A, a lot of the kids in my class can't read. I will not come here next year. I wanted to report this to someone, but the adults do nothing and get mad at the teachers who try to stop the bullies. I can't report it as child abuse, so I am afraid for everyone here. I hope someone does a surprise visit when no one knows to see what really goes on here or speak to the teachers and paras anonymously where they aren't afraid to tell the truth. Someone needs to do something about this and stop covering up.

Posted January 24, 2014
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Kernan Middle School 3

Posted October 05, 2013
I'm currently a Junior in high school attending Stanton and in the IB program and I honestly feel as if Kernan has not challenged me like it should have. Yeah it's not a magnet school, but still. After 'graduating' from middle school to high school I was completely overwhelmed by all the work I had to do in Stanton. I thought that I would be able to just breeze through tests without studying (as I did in Kernan) and wow was I wrong. In my 9th grade year I carried C's and D's and some B's and an A in HOPE.. All of my peers who attended schools such as Landon or JWJ or Kirby had an advantage over me and made me feel as if I did not belong at that school. Of course, I managed to adapt to the ways but it wasted my 9th grade year which I terribly regret. Anyways, if you want your child to be mentally and intellectually challenged, don't send them to Kernan. Otherwise, go ahead and enroll them in it.

Posted September 24, 2013
How does one decipher whether a school is good or not? Do they judge it by the appearance? Do they judge it by the aroma that escapes the cafeteria? Do they judge it by the kids? Well, I'll tell you one thing, there are many, many factors that play out when rating a school. For one thing, you would have to have experienced it, and I'm one of the many who have. To start off, I'd like to say that my disposition towards Kernan Middle School is that it is a COMMENDABLE school. The teachers are dedicated, the staff all share friendly faces, and the principle is outstanding! To judge Kernan on the outside, in my mind, is completely unheard of! I've told many this story, but when I first arrived at Kernan at the age of eleven, a brand new sixth grader, I was very uninspired in school. Though I made A's and B's, I didn't really put much effort into school. Kernan changed me. Kernan inspired me to push the limits and become who I am today. The new me is the one who puts the most effort into everything that they do. The new me is the one who goes the extra mile, just to make not only myself proud, but my teachers as well. Kernan is a caring wonderful school, and is by far my favorite.

Posted August 17, 2013
My son will be starting 8th grade at KMS for the 13-14 school year which will be his 3rd and final year here and again in House A. This school is a 'comprehensive' middle school, meaning it is more on an advanced or gifted level. The teachers have been wonderful and so have the subjects he has studied. He will be starting honors math and Spanish 1 this year which will count towards High School credits. He has had hands on in all of his classes and has had no problems with anything here. The only complaint he has was his typing class in 7th grade and the cafeteria food. I don't know what other parents mean when they say there is no communication. I can email any of his teachers and most of the times they email me first. If I write a note, I'll get a response. This has been the same for any teachers on any grade level. This school also participated in the archery in schools program meaning in PE, you'll get to shoot a bow and arrow.

Kernan Middle School 2

Posted August 29, 2012
I agree, this school is just average and just teach the basic standards and dont go above. I personally think this school won't prepare you for high school b/c they don't have the block schuedule and you'l get confused and suff. The administration can be rude as well.

Kernan Middle School 3

Posted August 13, 2012
it says that they have an orientation on the paperwork my son got last week. it is on Friday August 17. from 9-11. unless the pape work was wrong.

Kernan Middle School 1

Posted August 02, 2012
Disappointed that this school doesn't have an orientation before school starts. My incoming 6th grader (new to Kernan) is stressing over going to a new school and something like this would really help alleviate this stress along with a lot of other children. She is now even more worried knowing there isn't any orientation. As a parent I like to stay involved. Hope they like parents there the first day interfering with first day activities... I'll be there, as I'm sure others will be due to this. I won't just throw my child to the wind.

Posted May 03, 2011
Kernan Middle is a great school! I wish it continued on to high school... But Sandalwood here we come and we will make the absolute best of it!

Kernan Middle School 2

Posted September 26, 2010
This is the worst school my son has ever been in! Total disconnect between administration and houses. Each house is run on their own like a school. My son started the school year here as 6th grader coming from another school district. Science teacher hands out worksheets, teachers fail to encourage students, absolutely no praise, cut corners in the classroom and send the majority of work home as homework for the student without textbooks or resources to finish and really learn it. The school hours are horrible, students start at 9:45am and get out at 4:00pm. By the time my son gets off the bus at 4:30pm we have 2 plus hours of homework, which pretty much eliminates any opportunity for extra curricular activities. He is a gifted A student who is learning to resent school for taking away all his "kid time" after homework.

Kernan Middle School
2271 Kernan Boulevard South, Jacksonville, FL  32246
Last modified Kernan Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kernan Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 77 reviews. Top