Jacksonville, FL
Students enrolled: 1,209

Posted June 18, 2015
Like everybody, going into middle school scared me. I had heard interesting tidbits of information about middle school in general, and it did nothing to alleviate the worry and nerves that I felt. Midway through the summer between my fifth and sixth grade years, I received a letter from Kernan telling me that I was put into House C, and I promptly freaked out. I had been told that the letters stood for something: A was for amazing, B for best, and C for crazy, as well as the fact the House A was where they put all the smart kids, B was for the average, and C was for the kids who needed more help than others. I can say firsthand that this is utter lies. The letters don’t stand for anything, nor does the students get sorted into the houses based on smartness. I know this because I knew students who were better in a sport than they were in academics and were placed in House A, and I knew students who were astute and placed in House C. I drastically underestimated was the teachers. There are no words for how much thanks I owe them. I was placed into House C and had the best teachers ever. From my sixth grade year, I was placed into an advanced math class, taking pre-algebra in sixth grade, algebra in seventh grade, geometry in eighth grade, algebra two in ninth grade, and pre-calculus in tenth grade (a class that most students opt not to take). All of my other teachers at Kernan held me to a higher standard of sorts because of being in that math class and I am extremely thankful that they did. My teachers through all three years helped me expand my skills and hone them in the best way possible. For the most part, all my teachers have remained in House C but a few have been transferred to other houses, but that is okay, because the teachers at Kernan in general are amazing. I have friends who were in House A and House B that are following the same path that I am. Currently, I am in tenth grade, and in the Early College program. I start college in the fall and when I graduate May/June of 2017, I will have my AA degree, something that not everybody has the chance to get. After all of the preparation that I got at Kernan Middle, taking standard classes just wouldn’t cut it. It wouldn’t come even close. Had I gone to any other school, I am close to positive that I would have not entered the Early College program and would be on the path that I am now.

Posted April 22, 2015
Kernan middle school is a really great school. The teachers and staff there are amazing and they make you feel wanted. Everyone gets treated well and the adults there care for the students to do well and pass...

Posted April 22, 2015
Kernan middle school is a great place to get an education at . The teachers are very fundamental and care about there students getting there work done ! All the teachers are great and give there students millions of opportunity's to make sure they move up to the next grade level. I love Kernan middle school !

Kernan Middle School 4

Posted April 22, 2015
As a freshman, I am attending Episcopal School of Jacksonville. Being the #2 school in Florida, you would imagine how defficult it is. Kernan helped me become organized and managing due dates. The teachers do care and while the prepare you for high school, they do it in a way that a child can enjoy himself. Simple obedience and hard work is all the require. It provided a safe and enjoyable environment. I had lots of friends and never had any problems with other schools. Really! None at all.

Posted April 22, 2015
As a freshman now at Sandalwood High School I realized how tough going through high school would be if I hadn't gone to Kernan. The teachers actually cared and wanted me to be successful in life. It was always a caring environment and staff and administration made sure of that. Kernan has sports, clubs, and just about anything your child could want from a school. I was glad I was there and I kinda wish I could go back

Kernan Middle School 4

Posted April 22, 2015
I was a student at Kernan Middle School from 2011-2014 and I had a great experience. I'm currently a freshman at Atlantic Coast High School in the AP Honors Program. Many of the Kernan Middle teachers actually want their students to learn something and truly care about their well-being. I had many teachers that I could talk to in a time of need. Bullying and fighting is not at all tolerated at Kernan Middle School. This school offers many sports, clubs and activities such as Volleyball, Theater Club, Mathletes, National Junior Honor Society and more. However, Kernan is not all fun and games. Education is very important and many things I learned there prepared me for my AP and Honors classes at Atlantic Coast. I very much enjoyed my years at Kernan Middle School and your student will too!

Posted April 22, 2015
Kernan middle is not like every other school, teachers don't spend their entire year preparing us for a state test but they spend time preparing us for life. The teachers are what make up a great school and kernan has that down pact. I haven't had a complaint about any teacher the school itself is built for greatness. It has a safe and relaxed environment for your children

Posted January 24, 2014
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Kernan Middle School 3

Posted October 05, 2013
I'm currently a Junior in high school attending Stanton and in the IB program and I honestly feel as if Kernan has not challenged me like it should have. Yeah it's not a magnet school, but still. After 'graduating' from middle school to high school I was completely overwhelmed by all the work I had to do in Stanton. I thought that I would be able to just breeze through tests without studying (as I did in Kernan) and wow was I wrong. In my 9th grade year I carried C's and D's and some B's and an A in HOPE.. All of my peers who attended schools such as Landon or JWJ or Kirby had an advantage over me and made me feel as if I did not belong at that school. Of course, I managed to adapt to the ways but it wasted my 9th grade year which I terribly regret. Anyways, if you want your child to be mentally and intellectually challenged, don't send them to Kernan. Otherwise, go ahead and enroll them in it.

Posted September 24, 2013
How does one decipher whether a school is good or not? Do they judge it by the appearance? Do they judge it by the aroma that escapes the cafeteria? Do they judge it by the kids? Well, I'll tell you one thing, there are many, many factors that play out when rating a school. For one thing, you would have to have experienced it, and I'm one of the many who have. To start off, I'd like to say that my disposition towards Kernan Middle School is that it is a COMMENDABLE school. The teachers are dedicated, the staff all share friendly faces, and the principle is outstanding! To judge Kernan on the outside, in my mind, is completely unheard of! I've told many this story, but when I first arrived at Kernan at the age of eleven, a brand new sixth grader, I was very uninspired in school. Though I made A's and B's, I didn't really put much effort into school. Kernan changed me. Kernan inspired me to push the limits and become who I am today. The new me is the one who puts the most effort into everything that they do. The new me is the one who goes the extra mile, just to make not only myself proud, but my teachers as well. Kernan is a caring wonderful school, and is by far my favorite.

Kernan Middle School
2271 Kernan Boulevard South, Jacksonville, FL  32246
Last modified Kernan Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kernan Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 90 reviews. Top