Jacksonville, FL
Before care: Yes

Posted March 03, 2014
This is the best elementary school in Duval County. My son came from a private Montessori but we got into financial trouble so we moved him to public. We found JAA off the Magnet Catalogue and we did a tour and I was very impressed by the facilities! My son moved into the school mid-year of 3rd grade which was quite scary for him. My son also has a slight issue with his age as he is born in September. We tested him to see which grade he falls under. As common in Montessori students, he tested at the next grade level making him the youngest student instead of the oldest. We were apprehensive, but were pleasantly surprised that the transition was seamless. Multiple grade levels are bunched up into a class - so grades 1-3 were in the same class - so my son's age was not a problem. And the teachers love it when you come to class and talk to them or help out your child. The school is true Montessori with students doing individual work with workplans, class work with the facilitator, several pets in class and private garden for each classroom. Students are not stuck to a desk. The principal is awesome and communication from principal, teacher, and other parents are constant.

Posted September 09, 2012
I am truly blessed to have my children attend such a wonderful school! I have a daughter in Kindergarten and a son in Pre-K4. Their teachers have given them a great confidence in learning. My children love to go to school every morning to see Ms. Jenny and Ms. MingI They love to come home to share something new that they have learned. I am blown away on how far my son is progressing! I can't believe that my daughter is picking up concepts that are traditionally above her grade level! These teachers are masters at not JUST teaching a grade level curriculum, but also differentiating lessons to meet the needs of each child individually! If you want your child to not only succeed but also excel in all that they do, then this is the place to be!

Posted July 23, 2012
I went to J. Allen Axson and was happy. All my teachers cared about my education and made sure I was well prepared for every obstacle I could face in my academic future. I am a staight A student at LaVilla because of the amazing teaching. -J. Allen Axson Alumni

Posted May 04, 2012
Axson has long been known as a lifelong family for education; students who graduated years before still come by to check in with the teachers and staff. As a teacher, it is wonderful to work with professionals that love children; the teachers and staff at Axson take care of each other and the children with love. Axson proves how successful Montessori can be when you truly teach to the whole child and not just the FCAT. The children love learning, love school, and still do great on the test; in fact, Axson has been a top school for years without losing focus of what is really important-kids.

Posted February 05, 2012
I have two children at Axson and everyone is so welcoming and warm. The teachers work hard to make themselves available to parents. No wonder it is among Jacksonville's top ten schools!

Posted December 18, 2011
We are in our 8th year at JAA. It has become a second home for my children-giving them a chance to grow and excel! Both of them are tested gifted and all of their teachers have met and exceeded their academic and emotional needs. Axson educates the whole child and does not just "teach to the FCAT" like so many public schools. The principal offers true leadership to her staff-leading by example. My husband and I feel so blessed to have Axson for our children. If only there were a middle school!

Posted November 21, 2011
I wish that more schools followed the Montessori method. We feel so lucky to have the opportunity send our children to J. Allen Axson. The way the classroom is set up allows all students to work on their own level. None of the students are ever bored or too challenged. They are able to learn on their level. The children are treated with respect and in turn learn to respect each other and the teachers and adults. There is a strong focus on character development. Couldn't be happier here.

Posted August 01, 2011
Great school! Loving, considerate and respectful teachers and Principal. My son wants to go even in summertime. He's been asking me when is he going back to school all summer long.

Posted April 20, 2011
I have 4 children that attend this school; we transferred from a private Montessori and I was a bit skeptical of how the public Montessori would fare in comparison. Axson actually is a BETTER environment, as it combines Montessori methods with some basic accountability for learning. This school achieves an excellent balance of those two factors---what an opportunity for our children to attend this school! The emphasis on taking care of the environment, healthly lifestyles, etc. really supports what we are teaching at home. We specifically chose this school over Jax Beach, despite the fact that Jax Beach had slightly higher "FCAT" scores. Upon examination of all the factors that are important for elementary education, Axson clearly came out on top.

J. Allen Axson Elementary School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
It is a caring, loving place.

J. Allen Axson Elementary School
4763 Sutton Park Ct, Jacksonville, FL  32224
Last modified J. Allen Axson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
J. Allen Axson Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top