River City Science Academy

Charter | 6-12 | 845 students

Our school is best known for our strong academics and math-science focus

Posted August 24, 2013

River City is an excellent school with teachers and staff who truly care for students education and overall development. I would highly recommend this school to any family in Jacksonville.

Posted August 23, 2013

I am impressed with the level of expectations for the students at RCSA. The teachers staff and students are all dedicated to learning and challenging themselves each day.

Posted August 23, 2013

I am so excited to be joining the staff at River City Science Academy. The faculty and staff are very kind, caring, and dedicated. I am also so impressed by the students and parents. Everyone is genuinely dedicated to the education of children!

Posted August 23, 2013

RCSA has been a great fit for my children and our family. My kids are challenged and love the staff. This is our second year attending for both of our children and we have been very happy with the curriculum.

Posted August 23, 2013

I feel blessed to have been informed about RCSA because the teachers and the staff are excellent. The additional guidance and assistance they provide to the students are by far the best. Also, they push the kids to think outside of the box, focusing on the future ahead of them. I love them.

Posted August 23, 2013

My Children's School is Awesome, the teachers are helpful and willing to work with you to ensure that each child has a chance to succeed.

Posted August 23, 2013

This school is always striving to be a top leader in educating children. It is an excellent school, providing an excellent education.

Posted August 23, 2013

My school is River City Science Academy Elementary. Great School. My son now in third grade. He started at RCSA in third grade. His last school left my son with a very bad impressions when it comes to schools and learning. His attitude changed 180 degrees. He started enjoying school and learning. My son actually started enjoying going to school. By the end of the year, he asked me, "Why does school have to end for the summer." An amazing change.

Posted August 23, 2013

My daughter Vikas Sankar goes to River City Science Academy. It is a great school. The teachers are very dedicated. There is lot of importance given to Science specifically. Kids learn science through hands on activities. My daughter got selected in "National Science Bee" Competition, thanks to their advanced teaching. Overall she has a very pleasant experience and looks forward to school every day. I like the "Character Education" which they have in their curriculum. Great school !!!

Posted August 22, 2013

RCSA is the best charter school in Florida. We have dedicated teachers, parents and support staff that always go above and beyond the call of duty. Some teachers work on weekends and holidays, others sacrifice money to see that all the needs of their classrooms are being met. I love the students, the teachers, the parents, and even our administration is great. River City Science Academy is best thing that Florida has to offer to students from every walk of life.

Posted August 22, 2013

RCSA is a great school. Teachers are dedicated, and the students love coming to school everyday. Administration is supportive and visible throughout the school.

Posted May 16, 2013

My daughter switched during 2012-2023 year after first nine weeks at Arlington Middle. She had not been successful her first report card and when RCA had an opening ,we enrolled. She was behind other kids but with tutoring and extra help from teacher she has excelled even working a grade level higher. She had changed her study habits and her confidence has improved so much by succeeding. Last report card she made all A's and B's and one C . She talks about college and looks forward to her report card . They have FCAT and SAT studies on Saturday to help prepare kids for tests. I feel blessed that we enrolled her and she can go here until she graduates. I would recommend this school to anyone that is in a similar situation even if changing your child will upset them initially. It was the best decision we ever made and I believe she feels the same. Thank you Tiffany Beattie

Posted April 14, 2013

This is my sons first year at RCSA. We came from a private school where he was labeled a trouble maker because he was not challenged and bored to tears! This school has been a blessing for him. He has rose to meet the challenge they present to him. He is not labeled. He has made friends and enjoys going to school everyday. He loves his teachers who see his potential and push him to raise and meet the challenge. This school has been a blessing for my child!

Posted January 24, 2013

Academically challenging! As a parent, I'm very pleased with this school. I know that my child is in a safe environment where he will not be bullied. This school is a good option for us parents who have well behaved children that we don't want to subject to the rough environment of the typical public school in Jacksonville. I love the way the school pushes him academically to really bring out his potential. This school has very strict policies and I'm glad to see they enforce them. It is very much like a private school - at public school prices.

Posted November 11, 2012

My kids have been in this school for 4 years. The quality of education, the academics, and extracurricular activities are top at the region. They kept all their promises and implemented the programs. They continue to grow; I wish they open other campuses closer to my house.

Posted October 31, 2012

What makes River City Science Academy Elementary special is their philosospy of teaching to the whole child. I have heard other schools say the same thing and never actually seen it happen. At RCSA, they focus on teaching our children to really think through, what they call, a " teachable moment." While their Code of Conduct is very strict and can be severe, it is not just at random or without thought. My own child has been suspended (1st grade). I was livid at first, but after I sat down with the principal, the teacher and my child to learn and see all of the steps of communication and reflection - yes a 6 year old wrote a reflection answering "why"- that had been done before the suspension; I was amazed at not only the amount of individual time that was given to my child and myself. I was also amazed at how honest my child was and that there was real learning from the choice they made. My children have been there since the elementary opened 2 years ago. I have watched it grow into a wonderful educational environment where traditional values of respect, responsibility and citizenship are still held ego a high standard, taught and enforced. "C" to "A" in 1 year! Wow

Posted October 22, 2012

As a parent of a student that has been at RCSA for three years. I can't ask for better. She gets a very high quality education as well and the atmosphere of a small school. The teachers are very caring and willing to help when the students need it. As for the behavior the school has a no tolerance policy for bad behavior and I love that because it gets the students put of the classroom so the other students can focus and learn. I can't say enough good things about the school and staff. I couldn't be happier with my daughters education. As for the previous comment about the teachers and staff not knowing how to care for their students is totally false sometimes you have to look closer to home because its the students behavior that is out of control not the teachers and staff. I commend them for setting a precedence for all students to follow. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!!!!!!

Posted October 15, 2012

Awesome school !!! Great teachers and staff. My kids are happy and they want to go to school everyday without any hesitation, even weekends.

Posted October 15, 2012

Great school. Middle school is always a big transition but RCSA helped ease my daughter into the her future by helping her define her goals. She was always a good student, but the encouragement of the teachers help her get past the usual preteen anxieties and focus on her studies. They also provide awesome afterschool clubs which help give every student a chance to feel like they belong. I recommmend this school to any parent whose student is ready to face the challenges of the science and technological future.

Posted October 15, 2012

As a parent of a student that has been attending RCSA for the past 4 years, I can't say enough about it. The excellence that comes to the students actually starts with the great administration and their vision. Their foresight into the fact that EVERY student should have the opportunity to go to college if they so choose. The staff reiterates this in the teaching of the subjects not teaching for the tests. The teachers are dedicated to the success of all students with daily tutoring and weekend study sessions. Not to mention FCAT, PSAT and SAT prep for those who are interested, all at NO additional cost. I haven't found another school that has shown this much dedication to it's students anywhere. I will continue to support RCSA even after my son graduates. Because I for one want this school to be available to many more students in the years to come.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

140 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

131 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

115 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

115 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

153 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

79 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

n/a
Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

179 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

137 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

152 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

111 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Attendance and completion

Dropout rate 0%N/A2%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school public schools
private schools
home schooling
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher education levels

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 18%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Korean
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • High Performing Charter School Award (2012)
  • First Place in Science Olympiad (2012)
  • Service Learning Leader School (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Service Learning Leader School (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • MR. ADEM DOKMECI
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

4 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
250
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
600
Students typically come from these schools
public schools
private schools
home schooling

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013