845 students|Duval

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

River City Science Academy 1

Posted August 23, 2016
It was my first week at this school. I transferred to RCSA High from another school and let me just say this is the most unwelcoming school I've ever been to. The first day I'd say 5 out of 7 of my teachers all mentioned that they only work at this school since they get paid well. My AP Human Geography teacher even said "make sure you do good on the test, I get 50 dollars for each student that passes". I felt like that was extremely unprofessional. We shouldn't "do well" so they can get paid better, we should do well because we actually learned stuff. They then proceeded to say that only 30% of the class passes each year. Obviously they're not teaching very well; so how's this school an A school in all subjects? A mystery. Not to mention the staff and students are very antisocial and unfriendly. There are a lot of cliques and if you aren't a huge gamer/comic book fan/"emo" type kid, a crackhead, or you aren't popular, you'll be frowned upon here. I've tried talking to a lot of students in my classes but they all either look at you funny and scoot their desks away from you or don't say anything at all. Not to mention the rules are ridiculous. If you're late to class twice you get a detention. You must buy your own books if "you want to succeed in this class". If you turn in work one to three days late the highest you can get is a B, 5 days late and you get a C, anymore than a week and you get an F. Even if you're absent! They rely on going on the teachers' websites for missing work but there are no links or documents to get it. You also can't ask the teacher about anything if you're absent; you have to get it from someone else. The lunchroom is a joke; all four grades of high school -- 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade -- are all bunched together in the same room. My class got told that if there was ever a gunman to throw whatever we have at him while the teacher tackled him/her. Now tell me if the gunman shot the teacher, we keep throwing books at him/her???? By then it'll be too late to run. Overall too many ridiculous and strict rules, weird environment, and in general it's just an unorganized school. If you want to ruin your child's high school years, put them here. This is not a place for mature and academically advanced students though. My parents are taking me out of here and I am glad I won't have to go to this school for the rest of the school year.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted July 09, 2016
This is for all the staff members. Thank you for all you've done to RCSA. As an old student of RCSA, I wanted to thank you guys for all you've done for me. I have learned so much and I will never forget you guys in the future. Thank you, and I'll always be a RCSA Rocket in my heart (:

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 09, 2016
THESE TEACHERS ARE WONDERFUL! They put good info in your head that you know you will be using in the future. They make sure you understand and they won't stop until you get it.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 09, 2016
It's not too much, not too little. They don't overstress you. Teachers know how you might feel about it but they don't make it too hard for you.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 09, 2016
They want to have a great future, they don't want to see you fail. If you're failing in their class, teachers will be glad to help you earn extra credit and other things.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted July 09, 2016
The staff respects you, even if you feel like they don't. These people are wonderful.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted July 09, 2016
There's not a lot of bullying/fights, however, some students will be a bit harsh sometimes while others will be accepting to you. As long as you have people you can count on then you will be fine.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 09, 2016
Teachers do not leave you out at all, they care if you're not here and make sure that you're all caught up. Mr. Oz is also very kind and honest, as he's been a great principal to RCSA. These people are wonderful and you'll be having the time of your life.

River City Science Academy 5

Posted July 09, 2016
This school was just wonderful. For my years here at RCSA, I have truly became a better student and person. These teachers have a passion for getting you to where you want to go, and there's so much you could do! To Science Olympiad, Student Council, Science Fair, and History Fair as well! RCSA gives students a chance to do great things as they accept anyone no matter who you are. The STEM things are endless, it's not just science! The possibilities of your future is wonderful, and you will have the greatest time of your life.

River City Science Academy 5

Posted May 11, 2016
The teachers here really care and they use multiple techniques to help the students learn. They also put more responsibility on the students to complete work, know the class expectations, and follow-up on missed assignments. They have a wonderful notification process so parents can stay informed about grades and missing assignments. I have read the comments about the foreign teachers. Yes my child has noticed some issues with foreign teachers with some language barriers but has learned by this interaction. My child is learning about different cultures which I think is a great lesson. I have found this school, the admin and the staff, to be very open to dialogue if there are issues. I would highly recommend this school and am very happy we found them!

7565 Beach Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL  32216
Last modified River City Science Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.