Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 08, 2015
I feel bad about this rating. Aside from the Principal's daughter who isn't effective at all I think the best do the best they can.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted June 08, 2015
Having friends that have kids in public school it would seem that this school has a little more homework. Is it enough, only time will tell.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 08, 2015
With so many grade level in one room how can they? I worry that my child will be behind next year.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted June 08, 2015
The students are what they are. Its tough when you have so many issues in one room.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted June 08, 2015
As I've said before, the teachers try. When you have so many kids with issues more pressing than caring it's hard to teach.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 08, 2015
You lead by example and the leader doesn't posses any of these traits. The teacher try but they can only do so much.

Posted June 08, 2015
My child attended this school for three years. In that time the staff turned over every year. I can estimate that around 25 adults have come and gone in the three years my child has been there. I finally had to pull her after what amounted to a wasted year this year. The classes are combined into three classes with as many as four grades in one room. The class my child was in had kids four years older than her in it and the topics the older kids discussed bordered on the inappropriate. The teacher was removed during the year. She was in over her head with kids that wouldn't behave and an expectation that was unrealistic. I tried to meet with the Principal but that never happened. She either passed me off to someone else or just cancelled. My guess is that unless you have money you can't see her. I read one of the other comments about the number of people in meetings with parents. The Principal doesn't trust her teachers enough to meet alone with parents, or so I was told by a teacher last year who also left midyear. I'm not even sure how or why she is allowed to be a Principal. According to my child and other parents she yells at students and contradicts teachers in front of their students. This year one of the teachers in my child's class hasn't even graduated college yet and isn't even certified or trained to teach. I guess being the Principal's daughter is training enough. She is also mean to students and regularly insults them. It's sad that a Christian school would have such hateful people running it. I can say that the rest of the teachers really try and want to help. I know that they care. Sadly the administration doesn't. I wish I could name all of the nice teachers my child had, all of whom are gone except one. I only hope I can find a good school for next year, I certainly can't find one worse.

Posted April 25, 2014
My son attended this school in the three's class. The school came highly recommended by a friend whose son started in VPK and is now still in the school in grade three. My experience was horrible. And my friend's is now worse; though she didn't know it till recently. My son was potty trained when he went to this school and his teacher treated him well. But my son came home daily with reports of verbal abuse by the young inexperienced teacher towards his classmates for whom he cared a great deal. I once caught her yelling at a young boy because he was accidentally wet his pants - it was just the start of the school year and he did not seem to speak English well. One day a teacher taped a child's fingers together to force his hands to hold his middle three fingers up; forcing him to make the number three with his hand. That was the last straw for me and my husband. We found a MUCH better school across the street. Remember my friend who recommended? She's just discovered that her child was being passed from grade to grade without merit or discussion. He is supposed to be entering 4th grade and reading at a much lower level. No teacher helped her realize this.

Posted March 18, 2014
This school is primarily for students with disabilities which is something that is not shared with parents who do not have a child with a disability. Although inclusion is important, the school does not have the resources to maintain an environment that is beneficial to all students. It's impossible for a teacher to be able to give quality attention to the non-disabled students and the disabled students. My child does not have a disability and my child has suffered academically as result. When I set up meetings to talk with my child's teacher, she invited other people but never informed me that other people such as the pastor or the principal would be there. Additionally, when I had questions on how my child was being graded, the teacher would not respond to my inquiries. Further, I caution you to not put your child in this school if your child is NOT disabled. Trust me, your child will be a minority and will be treated as such.

Shepherd Of The Woods Lutheran School 5

Posted August 31, 2013
This is our first year at SOTWLS but we are loving it so far! The best part is that the students are taught about Jesus & what God has done for us. Each morning the students meet w/ the pastor & have prayer. They have a chapel class once per week in addition to the prayer held each morning. The daily classwork & homework is great & both of my sons are learning so much already. The student-teacher ratio in my son's Kindergarten class is 8:1, & in my youngest son's classroom for VPK the ratio is 6:1. These ratios are unheard of! The students have plenty of individual instruction. The school uses MAP testing to chart the students progress throughout the year. I love the MAP test objective because it gives a more personalized "map" of where each student is & allows the teacher(s) to focus on each student's level & learning abilities right away & throughout the year. After speaking w/ several teachers I learned that they really like the MAP testing too. Oh wait...another great thing about the school is that they have a parents web page that gives parents access to daily, weekly, monthly & yearly details on each child & on the school itself. It is so easy to see how my boys are doing!

7860 Southside Blvd, Jacksonville, FL  32256
Last modified Shepherd Of The Woods Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-10
Shepherd Of The Woods Lutheran School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top