Jacksonville, FL

Posted August 29, 2014
My daughter and I are both new to WRES and couldn't be more optimistic about the year. Last year she attended Timuquan, due to district and not "getting into" the magnet lottery in time to get her into Stockton. While she excelled in her subjects and was never an issue, I count by blessings because she had not 1 but 4 different teachers in her Kindergarten year. Way to set the standard, right?! I also had constant concerns about the end of the day dismissal policy. Never once was my ID checked to assure my child left with whom she was suppose too. I know 1st hand from family who have been at WRES that these are issues I can lay at rest. Just enrolling my child was a healthy and friendly experience. We are so excited to be a part of WRES this year and every year after until 5th grade graduation.

Posted July 11, 2014
My daughter just finished her first year in the new Dual Language program and we have been really impressed at how the program is run. Everyone at the school is friendly and helpful. We are thrilled that this program is offered right in our neighborhood. Glad we got in when we did.

West Riverside Elementary School 1

Posted June 30, 2014
The school should be renamed Worst Riverside. It is more like a shelter than an educational institution. Your heart will break everyday you send your child to school. Your chikd will tell you stories about other children and their lives at s hook and home that will shock you. Sure you can argue that this is real-life and that children need to know about others who are in constant danger or even impoverished. WRES will do everything it can to furnish your chikd with food and medical care, even clothing. The teachers are devoted, but can seldom meet academic goals because of their social work and nursing. This is a neighborhood school without its neighborhood. Affluent Avondale and Riverside has abandoned WRES because of its policies to keep ESOL students ad Starz students, whom are bused in adding more than half of the school's population. If you are a parent in need, or have a child who does not speak English, or has failed more than one school year, this is the place for you. He or she will be embraced and protected. They will be socially promoted out of 5th grade towards their GEDs or military. There is nothing aspirational about this school.

Posted May 14, 2014
Our first three weeks at this school were tough to due overcrowding but since then, it has been excellent. The principal is truly loved by the students and parents. The new dual language program is providing an extra challenge and the bonus of two teachers for kids in that program. The staff is involved and family like. We are very happy with our choice and wish more Riverside families would come back to WRES. It's now a magnet program and great things are happening.

Posted October 26, 2013
WRES has been a great experience for my child. Having experienced kindergarten at a large, suburban A school where neither of us felt comfortable the size and population of WRES has been a welcome change. The teachers and students represent a true slice of life with all races and socioeconomic backgrounds present. I feel my child has made life long friends, as have I, and that the teachers genuinely know and love my child. I'm sad that we only have a year and a half left.

Posted October 12, 2013
I personally like the school. What people fail to realize by looking at the schools grade is the demographic. We have ALOT of families that have the financial means to send their children to the plethora of private schools in the area. At this point we are left with shipping other kids into our area that barely speak the language. This grade isn't fair representation of what our school is. To the parents that had a bad experience with a teacher, you can get a bad egg in any carton. It's a question of what you are looking for in a school. Our school, our neighbor hood ,is close knit and I feel like they are doing a great job. Is there room for improvement? Yes, but that goes for any learning institution. As far as curriculum is concerned, that's all district based. What our kids get taught is what the other schools teach also.of we want a change we all need to stand up and be heard. Write letters show up for meetings. Be accountable for what and how our young people are being taught. I put it to anyone that reads my post. Do your research on our school before you make a choice.ask questions, look at the general population. We need our local families to come home!

Posted October 04, 2013
My daughter has been at WRES since 1st grade, now she's in 5th grade. It's not just a school, it's a family. We, teachers and parents, work together to help our children succeed.

West Riverside Elementary School 1

Posted August 18, 2013
I want to preface this comment by saying that what I experienced is my experience and not a slam on every single teacher at this school. This was the worst experience I could have ever imagined in a public school. My child came from an A rated public school, but because of the parents reviews on this site, I decided to give it a shot. Truly the biggest injustice that I've ever given my son. This school was nearly an entire grade level behind his old school at the beginning. The teacher he was placed with was clearly unhappy with herself or personal life etc. and brought it to school with her every day. She was incredibly rude, to the children, to the parents, and I even had a member of the office staff whisper to me one day that this particular teacher even scared them a bit. It was a learning experience to say the least. My child will now be going to a private school because that is the only other option at the moment.

Posted August 01, 2013
West Riverside Elementary School has been a long established school in which many generations in Jacksonville, FL proudly attended. As in many of our schools, unfortuantely this generation has to go through many things that I, nor my 86 year old mother had to be exposed to. I truly feel, in keeping up with news, etc. that West Riverside Elementary School is one that is trying very hard to get back to the 'olden' days of being a school of distinction, along with proper morals, thus promoting emphasis on quality, beginning education for our elementary students improving on a better future in being promoted to higher grade levels.

Posted May 06, 2010
I have two children at WRES, and next year, will have a third. It is a wonderful neighborhood school, and it's a shame that many parents only look at the grade and don't give it a chance. It's a small school with caring, devoted teachers and staff. The students are extremely diverse each class looks like a sesame street episode. There are only about 300 children, so all of the teachers know all of the kids. It's a great learning environment. If you live in the neighborhood, go tour it.

West Riverside Elementary School
2801 Herschel St, Jacksonville, FL  32205
Last modified West Riverside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Riverside Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top