335 students|Duval

Bad
Good

Substitute Teacher. Students behave badly like all kids with substitute. That is to be expected. What was not to be expected was teachers invading my class to yell and harass fourth graders. Two teachers, about six trips into my room. One would send kids into my room who would then run back and tell "one of the kids stood up" and then in came the adult to verbally batter my entire class. Some teachers openly talked about waiting for kids to get hurt and then would celebrate the accident. They openly discussed with me how horrible the kids were. I attempted to wait after school to inform admin about how my class was invaded by angry teachers who had already decided that since a sub was in the room any form of talking or movement would be grounds for verbal battery of fourth graders. I was told by the same teachers watching me waiting for principal to "leave now while I still can." A vague threat of some type, by those who feel their authority supersedes ethical mores. The students were doing well in their work I checked it and they had mostly correct answers. Most of them had completed the work, so I allowed a bit of talking, it was the end of the day. You be the judge, 3 of 10.

Wow - just read the news about the parent Marcia who - took the right action - of making her son responsibble for his actions. The public appology that he held up for being disrespectful to his teacher - is representative of the actions of a loving & caring parent. It also reflects on the right & positive sense of child rearing by the school. If only we had more parents & teachers as responsible at this age - our jails would not be filled up later on in the children's lives. Keep up the excellent work.

I have found Brentwood to be a school where the leadership is A+. The principal is deeply concerned about each student, as well as the faculty. I have not found this to be true in my years of teaching as testing was all that mattered. The principal works endlessly towards the goal of test scores, yet she does not let us lose sight of our contributions as professionals and who the the child is as a whole. Teachers have been maligned in recent years and believe me, you will not make it in this system if you aren't there because you care deeply for these children. The principalship at Brentwood could not be any more supportive of its faculty and students.

Brentwood Elementary is supposed to be an arts magnet school. However, we found their music art program to be behind the programs we experienced in standard elementary schools. It was like pulling teeth to set up a regular and recurring line of communication. On top of that our son was bullied the entire year he spent there and the teachers were clueless as how to help. There are some good teachers, but I would not recommend this school to anyone, including the neighborhood children.

Last modified Brentwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.