Ortega Elementary School 3

Posted September 06, 2014
The school is safe (controlled access), clean, has a quality feel to it when you walk through the hallways. Located in affluent area; the turn-out of parents at school events is surprising even during a work day! Although my son's teachers are nice, I worry about them being able to comply with the new Common Core Standards and ADEQUATELY teach my child. Perhaps it's a learning curve, but I hope it's not at the expense of my child's acheivement. PARENTS: as hard as it is, know what your child is being taught and ask them PROBING QUESTIONS to ensure they're learning. The other thing that I and a few other parents have noticed is the chilly reception that one gets from the principals and teachers. Perhaps it's generational, but I am accustomed to being greeted and acknowledged no matter if it is FAKE. My advice to them is to at least pretend to be friendly and not aggravated. I like that the children at this school always seem to be orderly and supervised. As far as school improvement, I can't say, but in my son's class, I would like to see a little more PURPOSEFULLY DRIVEN home work given, we busy parents could use advice and perhaps an abbreviated schedule of what is being taught.

Posted February 19, 2014
My daughter attends Ortega as 4th grader and I must say that her teacher was chosen by the district as one of the top 15 teachers in the county. He is always willing to help my daughter out whenever she needs extra help with a particular skill she is struggling with. The front office sec. is always pleasant and greets all parents with a smile. Since the museum magnet theme my daughter has gone several great "learning expeditions" that she has come home and rave about. I also love the fact that they now have a full time security guard, a after school chorus, and a fabulous PE teacher that started a track team with all grade levels. The teachers at Ortega are VERY involved with their students and support not only their school life but I have witnessed several of the teachers attending their students extra curriculum activities on the weekend such as football games, basketball games, and soccer games. The administration makes sure that there is consistency through out the school. If a teacher is absent you can almost guarantee that the sub that is the classroom is one that has been at Ortega and knows the students by name and has a relationship with the students too.

Posted May 19, 2013
I am outraged by the bullying that continues to go on at this school. No assistance from teachers or staff and it continues to be a problem. Also - the teachers desire to engage the children have gone completely down hill over the last three years that I have had a child at this school and it's very disappointing. The communication SUCKS and the lack of care and concern from teachers is clearly there - lots of favortism for particular students...just not fair.

Posted May 10, 2013
My son will not be attending this school again next school year. Very disappointed with this school, his teacher waited until the of this school year to tell me that he won't be going to the next grade. I talked to her on the phone & was sending notes to her. I feel this school failed my son!!!!

Posted April 26, 2013
This school has exceeded all of my expectations with the 3 year old Museum Studies program. The children are engaged in researching science and social studies subjects, while incorporating reading, math, and writing across the curriculum. Ortega is ahead of the Common Core Curriculum and takes an innovative approach to teaching the whole child and also encouraging student docents to in turn teach exhibit visitors on 3 exhibit nights a year. My fourth grade daughter loves her classmates and her teachers. I love the diversity of not only races, but also of socio-economic classes, ability levels, and artistic strengths ( like the world we live in). There is a job for all students to participate in and shine with the use of their strengths. My daughter is NOT an artist, but she can research anything. I am super happy that we discovered this gem of a little school. Embrace our diversity with us as your student actually learns in a fun and creative way!

Posted April 15, 2013
I am not longer a student at Ortega i am a now a student at jeb but the thing is i see that people are bad mouthing my old school i went to that school from k to 5th and i don't regret it at all. Thanks to that school im in all adv. classes and im already almost done with algebra 1 and if it wasn't for Ortega i would probably be in intensive classes and i wouldn't be one of the smartest kids in 7th grade now you guys can say what you want i know the teacher can teach right because i was sitting in the same classes your kids are just a few years ago. If your kids don't get what the teachers are teaching then its because your kids aren't listening in class to the teachers and i get some teacher have a lot of kids but sometimes that happens and there nothing you can do about that. The school isn't that big... most schools are bigger then Ortega that's why theres not as many kids in the classrooms the school was an A school when i went there and i think it still is and if its not then its a B school but that shouldn't stop you from sending your kids there its a great school and i wish i could go back to it and i miss all the teachers and people that work there

Posted March 17, 2013
I HAD 3 CHILDREN IN THIS SCHOOL I HAVE TAKEN 1 OUT I HAVE 1 IN 4TH GRADE CURRENTLY ON THE VERGE OF FAILING I'M USING OUTSIDE TUTORING. MY YOUNGEST IN 1ST GRADE AND I SEND HER TO TUTORING IN WHICH I PAY FOR AS WELL AND SHE'S A STRAIGHT A STUDENT TO KEEP HER AHEAD DUE TO THE LACK OF TEACHING AT THIS SCHOOL. I WORK 12HR DAYS SO ITS HARD TO MAKE MYSELF AVAILABLE TO REALLY TALK TO THE TEACHERS LIKE I WANT TO BUT I KNOW ITS MORE THAT CAN BE DONE. MY MIDDLE SON I HAD TO TAKE OUT OF THIS SCHOOL BECOUSE HE WAS SCARED TO ASK QUESTIONS IN CLASS DUE TO HIS TEACHERS DONT ASK POLICY....

Posted August 20, 2012
I HAVE 3 CHILDREN THAT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL. AND I FIND MYSELF RETEACHING ALL SUBJECTS WHEN CHILDREN COME FROM SCHOOL. I HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES AND I FIND THAT EACH TEACHER HAVE WAY TO MANY STUDENTS IN EACH CLASS. SOME OR EVEN SCARING THE CHILDREN AND KEEPING THEM FROM ASKING QUESTIONS. THIS IS WHY A LOT OF THE FCAT SCORES ARE BELOW STATE AVERAGE.

Posted July 17, 2011
My child has attended Ortega for two years and at first, we had real concerns; new principal, change in magnet status, etc. As a parent I felt their growing pains, but we were determined to support our neighborhood school. And yes, parental involvement is limited as most families are not from immediate neighborhoods. So, I volunteered & became part of a team that is absolutely dedicated to bringing the best education possible to these children. Staff saw an opportunity, capitalized on it & now they are a museum magnet- one of 7 in the nation! I wasn t crazy about this initially as I couldn t imagine a less exciting choice for my 7 year old son who has zero artistic ambitions. But he recently asked if we could go to MOSH & I was floored. Of course, it was to see the Snot Exhibit, but he loved it. The staff at Ortega has repaid my faith three fold, you can feel them pulling together as a team, teachers are focused & caring, the Principal is accessible & a natural leader. Ortega s recent Grade A is proof that yes, they are small, but they are truly an academic force to be reckoned with. I would strongly recommend this small, determined, close-knit & fantastic school to anyone.

Posted February 09, 2011
This is a great little family school, where the education is superb and the children LOVE to come to school. The new Museum Magnet program has far exceeded all of our expectations with total involvement of the children. My daughter can't wait for the next exhibit night!

Ortega Elementary School
4010 Baltic Street, Jacksonville, FL  32210
Last modified Ortega Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ortega Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top