933 students|Duval

Bad
Good

This school is amazing! I am currently on the gifted track because my teachers are moving me up so I can do a better math than what I was doing don't listen to all those other people who lie because their experience with kirby was ok

In response to the previous comments , if there is a problem with a particular elective teacher it needs to be specifically addressed with DCPS administration not unfairly broadcast anonymously on the internet. In response to the clubs comment, a total lie. This school has the following clubs actively meeting; chess club, zoology, collectible card club, video game design club, video game club, courtyard crew, yearbook club, and FLL robotics club. In regards to gifted teachers, when a teacher leaves (we had 2 teachers move) the District often replaces personnel with surplussed teachers and the gaining school has no right of refusal. We have quadrupled our gifted population the last 2 years and all teachers in gifted positions must take gifted training, this takes time. Gifted endorsed teachers "don't grow on trees" they are developed.

Thought this was the best school for my child, but 2nd year in this school is a joke. They promise electives in which the teachers don't even teach ? If you want to set a record on number of wasted hours reading books go to kirby. There are even teachers teaching gifted that never taught the subject with no background in the subject . Clubs no it's all lies just to get you in.

Very disorganized. A lot of fluff about electives, but the truth is those are for selected children only.....kids and parent choices don't seem to matter. This is the 3rd year my child has been placed in same elective. These folks talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Any question to teachers are usually met with defensive rather than helpful attitude. I understand the teachers have a rough job too....but the kids should come first. I know Kirby wanted to be a path to Paxton so maybe the gifted kids have a better experience. However, the other kids, even the bright ones, seem to be an afterthought. Currently, a few of the teachers don't even post on the grade portal. Presumably, to keep parents in the dark so we won't bother them with our concerns. Our second child, who is in gifted, is now at James Weldon and what a difference! Kirby could learn a thing or two from James Weldon about how to improve, how to better utilize current technology, how to better communicate with parents. The only reason I gave 3 stars and not 2 is because there have been a few great teachers over the past three years, but the overall school experience has been disappointing. Lots of luck!

its ok but tucking in shirts and getting detention at lunch for no id is petty and stupid

My first impression before my son attended - hmmm old school, poverty neighborhood, hmmm ... But you can't judge this "book by it's cover" - the school is great!! The teachers have been top notch - they are very attentive and approachable, they want the students to succeed and really care about each student and get them to rise to the challenge!! The gifted, AT and standard programs are great at preparing students for their next level. Many of the top graduates move on to Stanton, Paxon, RE Lee. We travel 25 miles to get to Kirby because my son loves it enough make the early long journey every day. The school has great technology electives, athletic teams, afterschool clubs and more. It's a wonderful group of kids there as I see all 960+ of them during my lunch monitor day. The school is a diamond in the rough and continues to improve and glow from the inside out. The school starting next year 2014-2015 has been granted continuity for gifted students to Stanton, Paxon, and Darnell-Cookman. I rated it a 5 knowing no school is perfect but there is no 4.5 stars choice and it's better than a 4. If your child likes the techy niche - environment they will enjoy being at Kirby.

I'm the grandmother of a Kirby student. The reviews are fantastic. I'd like to hear about the progress of my grandson and get to know his teacher. Who can I be more involved long distance?

I am a graduate of Kirby Smith and I am now a junior at Darnell Cookman High School. Kirby is an excellent school with great programs. Kirby Smith really prepared me for highschool structure with A&B schedules and rigorius academics. I can proudly say that I am an honor roll student at Darnell Cookamn, and I went to Kirby Smith Middle School. The teachers are amazing. My favorite of all time was my 8th grade LA teacher Mrs. Quantiance. I'm not sure if she still works there, but her homework load and system was the class that really prepared me for highschool. This school is amazing and I would recommend it for any on coming 6th grader.

My granddaughter goes to Kirby Smith and we are very proud of her . She does her homework each night and we are pleased with the information she is receiving from her teachers. This is a great opportunity for her.

My child attended for about 6 months because of the"technology" program. He came from Fletcher Middle School Gifted Program making straight A's. With in 2 months he was failing at Kirby Smith. But most important, the teachers could not care less.It took 2 months to get a conference because they were too busy. The whole experience was awful. He is now back at Fletcher High School in the AICE Program making A's again. I have since talked to other parents who had same experiences. They should close the school down.

Last modified Kirby-Smith Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.