763 students|Duval

Bad
Good

Posted June 11, 2016
As a Stanton IB Alumni student I truly believe that Landon was the greatest thing that happened to me. As a person who was very resilient and against to going to this school at first, I soon realized that Landon creates a community of leaders that are both compassionate AND intelligent. Not to mention, very humble students. To the weary and anxious parent. Just relax. Whether your child is going to JWJ or Landon, I assure you that your child will be in good care at both schools. But wait... what makes Landon so special? Besides its difficult classes and beyond amazing teachers. This school seriously instills some important life lessons and basic morality to these kids. These things are very difficult to teach in a classroom, but in some miraculous way, the teachers make it happen. I still go back to visit this school till this day, mainly because I feel so passionate for what this school is doing for both the student and the surrounding community. Plus the teachers are pretty wonderful for writing college Rec letters:)I highly recommend this school to the student who is ready to work hard, take chances, and stench themselves beyond the classroom. This school is incredible, and It'd be a shame for your child to miss out on the endless opportunities that this school so well provides. Not to mention the location is great. Students can easily walk to the San Marco library after school (literally a minute away) to do homework or go to the nearby Starbucks in the San Marco square for some refreshments. Extended day is not totally necessary but if your parents were overprotective like mine, then that's always an option:) Very thankful to have had such a nurturing environment as I was finding who I was as a person. Leadership is not about holding a position and sticking your nose up to belittle those around you, but it is working quietly and humbly to make a difference. Very glad that this school makes that message so clear to all and even has leadership classes to make the student think globally as well. Yup students, this world isn't about you, and thankfully Landon does a great job at putting things into perspective. This schools rocks!!!

Posted January 02, 2015
I went to Landon all 3 years. The teachers here truly work you and I am actually crying right not thinking about how I have to leave in June. Every year my class has been a family. My classmates are literally like siblings to me and my teachers are so supportive and fun. If you are a good student and you and your classmates are all trying your hardest there won't be any problems. The teachers are like big siblings. I honestly never want to leave. Even in my eighth grade year, the year with the most responsibility and tests, I am enjoying myself. I'm so sad to leave my family, but I'll just have to make the best of it now. As I sit here pouring my eyes out, I think of seventh grade. I started Algebra which is a highschool course. I was so bad at algebra, and my seventh grade math teacher was the strictest of them all. I thought he was crazy... until I got my EOC scores back. I got an A on the EOC because his insane work ethic was just to prepare me for this tough test. I am appreciative of everything I learned at this school. Please go!

Posted July 03, 2014
I attended Landon for all three years of middle school, and as a rising 9th grader headed into the Stanton IB program, I can say with all honesty that I'm going to miss this school so much and that I know it prepared me for my future. The staff truly care about the student body and will do anything in their power to help any student succeed. Some of the teachers I've had at Landon have genuinely had an impact on my character, not just my academics. Each grade level at Landon is a family; everyone cares for each other. Any issues a student may be having in or outside of the classroom will be discussed if the student so desires, which leads me to say that the guidance office is a pretty comforting place to be. The homework load definitely is anything but light, but if you learn anything from this school, it'll be time management. Landon is a place for kids who want to impact the world to "start small" by impacting people around them positively. As many lessons as you learn from the staff, whether it be regarding academics, athletics, or life, I promise that the staff will always want to learn from you, too.

Posted February 27, 2014
This school is absolutely amazing. Not only will it prepare you for Stanton, Paxon, or any school, it will prepare you for life. Something Landon focuses on is LEADERSHIP and I believe this makes Landon stick out from other middle schools such as James Weldon Johnson. Landon is the #1 school in Jacksonville, and that is quite an honor. Also was #2 in the whole entire state of Florida. Leadership can take you anywhere in life and build many new relationships and life skills in the future. I highly reccomend this school for any child that is ready to work hard and want a successful future. HIGHLY reccomend this school. Love it love it love it.

Posted October 10, 2013
Julia Landon is the best school. The teachers are really supporting! They have great electives but more time could b spent between classes it is a wonderful school with no inappropriate behaviors

Posted September 26, 2013
This is the BEST school in Duval County! Teachers are the best, nice facilities, good parent involvement!

Posted July 27, 2013
Landon is a great school. I will miss it so much next year in high school.

Julia Landon College Prepartory & Leadership Development School 4

Posted June 30, 2013
Point of Information: Landon became a "dedicated" (ALL students must apply to go to the school, whether they live in the neighborhood or not) magnet school at least 5 years ago. Some of the earlier comments below (2006) are when it was still a regular neighborhood middle school. Not sure what the racial mix of the school was then, what the problems were or who was the principal, but when it became a magnet, it got a new principal and probably all new teachers. The discipline and safety problems one parent commented about are not there now. I have not heard from my kids about it being "clique-y". My one daughter has been teased (a lot - by one kid) but I don't think it is a BIG problem at the school. And the principal is made aware of digital bullying/problems too. Teaching to the test is a problem EVERYWHERE because of FCATS and teachers' salaries are riding on kids' performance. The curriculum at Landon IS challenging with LOTS of homework, but that's why parents send their kids there - it's college prep - leading to IB and AICE programs. The neighborhood middle school my children would have gone to gives little to NO homework. We are VERY Happy with Landon.

Julia Landon College Prepartory & Leadership Development School 2

Posted June 07, 2013
Landon Middle - if you want a real education go somewhere else. This school only has a high rating because they force recycling of grades and extra credit. Any student with a C can recycle and bring it up to an A with extra credit by semester end. If you are really an A student, there is nothing for you here. All teaching is for the tests. Silent lunch. Extensive bullying and staff pets. I am so dissapointed.

Posted March 03, 2013
I am an 8th grader at Julia Landon and I must say that when I leave for high school, I will be crying my eyes out when the last day of school comes! To any parents or kids that are considering attending Landon, YOU HAVE TO GO! It is such an amazing school! The teachers are excellent and strive to improve the students' learning skills and grades every day! The environment is very homey and safe, and I feel like I can easily walk up to a teacher or student or staff member without feeling intimidated or nervous. Everyone actually knows YOU, not by your grades (even though the principal and some teachers know every Benchmark and FCAT score all the students had) but by your personality! I've made long lasting friendships not just with students but teachers and the staff too! I have learned so many different things these past few years, and because of Landon, I have become a more social, well rounded, globally aware, rigorously studious, and caring leader. I'll be honest, when I first attended Landon, I was ignorant and refused to like Landon because I missed my old school, but I immediately realized there's nothing to not like! I LOVE LANDON! :D

Julia Landon College Prepartory & Leadership Development School
1819 Thacker Avenue, Jacksonville, FL  32207
Last modified Julia Landon College Prepartory & Leadership Development School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.