Robert E. Lee High School

Public | 9-12 | 1826 students

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted May 16, 2013

Robert e lee. This school is a joke for a high school. Feel so bad for the students going there staff needs more training and teachers more educated in what they are teaching

Posted January 25, 2013

As the parent of a 3rd generation General I have to say the school has had it's ups and downs. The school has gone through a fire (mid 80's)with major reconstruction and has been going through a multi million dollar renivation the last couple of years. With a National Model Engineering Academy and a state of the art Early College program (which my son is in) Lee is making a comback. I have seen nothing but wonderful attitudes from all the teachers and contrary to one parents comment my son has plenty of homework. With the wonderful magnet programs and new facilities I would not hesitate to recommend Lee to anyone. As both a public school teacher and a parent I understand certain concerns that have been brought up, unfortunatly in today's society schools can be a rough place. With that said my son has not had one situation of bullying, being picked on , or any other negative experience at the school. Prestige may come from going to schools like Stanton and Paxon but your AA degree before you graduate high school (without having to take a single AP exam or pay a dime) can come from LEE!!! GO Generals!!!!!

Posted November 14, 2012

I am an Early College student at Lee and it is amazing here! The vast knowledge here is endlesss! We all go through the saying that everyone elses school is better than Lee but I totally disagree. I am among some of the most intelligent students and the greatest teachers! Overall, this school is one of the best I have been too! GOOO GENERALSSS (: Class of 2016 (:

Posted January 19, 2012

I love it here at lee! The administration and teachers are awesome. Yes there are unruly children here but hey thats on their parents.

Posted December 18, 2011

Most people generalize Lee by the general population students when they say that Lee should be shut down. They all tend to forget that there is a large population of magnet students who are some of the smartest and most gifted teenagers in Jacksonville. Both the Early College and Engineering magnets have rave reviews all over Florida. As an Early College student, I can attest to the fact that while the general teachers in Lee may not care about what happens to the students, every single one of the Eary College and they Engineering teachers take a special interest in every single one of their students. The Early College program is a very good opportunity for any student who has big dreams and plans on going places after they graduate. While there are fights and a plethora of other problems, the administration is taking special steps to keep students safe. There will always be bad apples, no matter what school you go to. GO GENERALS! EC Class of 2013! (:

Posted May 19, 2011

Robert E. Lee is a horrible school. Teachers and staff are unable to keeps students safe. It is a daily occurrence for fights, outbursts in classrooms, and even violence. The staff as a whole are not willing to help students, class rooms are locked to keep students from bursting in. There is little to no homework or any type of work for that matter that is given to the students. It is a great school if you want your child to get easy A's but not no a good choice if you want them to be safe. This school should be shut down. The staff should be ashamed of themselves for their lack of ability to teach, protect, and encourage students. Military dependents who live on NAS JAX are zoned for this school. Whatever you do find an alternative!!!!!! If I could give a lower rating I would.

Posted September 16, 2009

The teachers care what happens in the students lives and where there going in life

Posted July 23, 2009

I have two children in Lee and the oldest in now entering the 12th grade. I have seen major improvements in the last 3 years. The new principal is successfully implementing policies that make communication and parent involvement a priority. The teachers are very helpful and seem truly interested in the children's success. If a few more parents would get behind the faculty and make their kids more respectful and better behaved, Lee could be an 'A' school.

Posted July 20, 2009

It was a great opportunity to be in the early college program at lee. All of my teachers were very helpful and caring. we were as a big family, students and teachers got along very well. Even though there were alot of works, it helped improve my knowledge of the world. I am looking forward to the next school year to start.

Posted April 6, 2009

I think Lee is a very bad school. Most of the teachers don't want to help the students that aren't getting it. There are some teachers that can't keep control of their classroom, which makes it hard for other students to learn.

Posted December 22, 2007

Lee High has made many changes this year. We have great sports teams, great teachers and a principal that gets involved. I really like this school and see great things happening in the future. Most of the teachers really get involved and teach interesting classes. I had the opportunity to go to a private school and chose thie magnet program at this school instead and am happy with the choice. Lee High is preparing me for College and beyond!

Posted December 22, 2007

Robert E. Lee has really turned around. I've had excellent communications with most teachers; from notes home to ongoing email communications. School spirit is evident. Learning environment and courses offerred are above average. Our family is very pleased with the school. Impressed enough to send our second child there in 2 years.

Posted December 20, 2007

I go to lee for the early college program. I have been at lee for two years now, and this year, its more safer than last year!

Posted December 18, 2007

Although we have had bad media attention at our school lately, the school is the best I ve seed in years. There is no other high school in Duval County I would rather attend. Our principal has done so much for our school and the programs within it. Almost all of the teachers are very involved and caring for their students. There are some downfalls and problems that need fixing but the good stuff out weighs the bad. We also have one of the top engineering programs and then in the world. This is also the best one in all of Jacksonville and northeast for that matter. A lot of stuff shown on the news media lately has not been entirely true. Our school is just as safe it not more than other high schools. Our fights this year have been cut down by a third that is more than any other high school in the county. We also have two champion basketball teams and we have sent two kids to regional s for swimming. We have every a sports team that Duval county has to offer.

Posted December 18, 2007

Robert E. Lee is the best and getiing better every day. The teachers genuinely care about their students and the students genuinely care about the school. Moreover the parents are joining the mix as well. I am optimistic about this because I know with those three ingredients (students, teachers and parents) lee is a recipe for success. Use email, schoolnotes websites, and cellphones. Get and stay involved. We welcome your participation.

Posted December 17, 2007

I've been a teacher at Lee for seven years. I believe the dates on these comments speak volumes. We've made tremendous strides over the past two - three years. We may not be an 'A' school, but that doesn't mean we have students, teachers, and administrator who don't care. I wouldn't trade my students, even those in my 'regular' classes, for any others in the county. They are in my room, every day, working hard to make something of themselves. They know the exepriences they have at school, no matter which one, will be a direct result of the time and energy they put into them. It breaks my heart to know others are trying to minimize the hard work they're doing. It's not fair to them, and it's not a fair picture of our school. We are a family at Lee, and I'm proud of the work we're doing.

Posted December 16, 2007

I have taught at Robert E. Lee High School for 5 years - and 11 years overall. Everyday I challenge my students to work hard and most of them do. I expect my students to behave appropriatly towards each other and myself. Most do. I contact parents and ask for their support - most offer very positive feedback. I seek help and support from my Administrators - they always come through. I look to my fellow teachers for support, ideas, and friendship - they always come through. I do not work at Utopia High School - that place does not exist. The problems at our school are no different than the problems at most other schools. I love my job and will give my students the best education I can. Our community should support the school not bash it!

Posted December 16, 2007

I have worked at Robert E. Lee for three years. The teachers are dedicated to helping the students be successful.

Posted December 15, 2007

My son is new to Lee and in the Engineering Magnet; which is an excellent program. He is in all honors and AP classes; which the school offers to all. The school has a top Robotics Team; which he is a part of. Contrary to recent comments, my son feels that the school is safe, enjoys most of his classes and teachers, and is comfortable with the diversity. The school is improving and making changes that are positive. The downside is that there needs to be more parental involvement, better communication with parents and reorganization of main office procedures/staff. On the upside they offer excellent magnet programs, lots of athletics and clubs and a student population that is rich in diversity. All in all - I have seen better and I have seen worse; this school fits right in the middle.

Posted December 15, 2007

Lee High has many great Magnet Programs. They have a Math, Science, Technology Magnet. They have an excellent Engineering Magnet and even have an Early College Magnet where the students attend the local community College half of each day and when they graduate high school they will also already have an Associate's Degree.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

522 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

490 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

502 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

431 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

522 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

445 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 13%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options