Posted September 29, 2014
My son goes to Thomas Jefferson as a magnet student after applying for two years straight, and he luckily was accepted. In a few words, this school is wonderful! It is older, however, the family- oriented environment and individual attention each student gets more than compensates for its age. The teachers are all very friendly, the classrooms are becoming more and more modernized, and overall I am very pleased with the quality of education my child is receiving here. The family functions are one of the many bonuses of being a part of the Thomas Jefferson family so if you like being involved with your child's school, then this is the school for you. Could not be happier! We LOVE Thomas Jefferson Elementary!

Posted June 06, 2014
My son has completed kindergarten at TJ, and he absolutely loves going to school. Principle Turner is hands down the best administrator I've had the pleasure of knowing. The teachers are awesome. Lots of fun and learning. Heavy on the homework at times, but it is required to get the kind of results that are the envy of other schools in the area. Big family atmosphere, excellent security, and thriving and active PTA.

Posted February 14, 2014
We have one student currently at TJ, and another that will be attending in 2015. DCPS has a lot of problems, but TJ is not one of them. Teachers are wonderful, kids are great and the administration is second to none. If I could say better things about them, especially the Principal Mrs. Turner, I would. We drive 30 minutes each way to get our child to this school. Believe me, if you are lucky enough to get in, you will be happy about it every day.

Posted May 14, 2013
Substitute Teacher. One the best schools I have worked at for DCPS. I have been to the worst. I have seen how bad it can get from all angles. Teachers, Admin, Students which all need to be visited by the "Karma Police." This school was the opposite. Kids do work. Kids follow rules for the most part. I give leeway because I am the "dreaded substitute." I used positive motivation, it worked. The admin was beyond reproach. Teachers went out of there way to make me smile or get to know me a bit. I felt like a included member of the team, which is rare in DCPS. Send your kids to this school. But be active in their next school or else all the hard work by the staff there can be undone in what seems to be a single summer and a few days in the surrounding middle schools. I hate to say assimilation can be bad, but believe me they will be in for rough ride if your send them to non magnet schools. I give them a 9 of 10. Take this to be the truth, I am an independent without any bias and do not need to fear or defend this or any institution. I make comments about all schools I attend to inform the public to what I experience. I see the kids for who they really are, because they don't fear me.

Posted April 29, 2013
I adore this school, staff and everything about it. This is like a little private school in Duval County. I can't say enough about this school. I am so glad I found it. I drive 15 miles a day, to and and from. Love it.

Posted April 27, 2013
This is a small, family oriented school hidden on the westside of town. The principal and teachers know most of the students and parents by name. This is not normal at most schools. Upon entering the school there is a family atmosphere that is unlike other schools. Students are well behaved and enjoy coming to school. The teachers truly love their students and treat them with respect. The school is often offering opportunities outside of the regular school day for family fun. Between family nights, carnivals, and dances there is usually something to choose from for inexpensive family entertainment. I am pleased the school has tight security in this day and time. Everyone has to be buzzed in to building at all times. It helps me know my children are safe at school. I have 3 children that attend this school and we have been extremely happy there. They are getting loved and a great education!

Posted April 27, 2013
Thomas Jefferson is an amazing school. I have had two children at this school one who is still there my oldest has graduated. I love how they are on top of keeping the kids safe. New rules have been put in place but I dont mind at all because I know it is for the safety of the children. I love how everyone there is very friendly and helpful. I always feel welcome there. The principal, teachers and staff are amazing!! This is truly a wounderful school!

Posted April 26, 2013
My daughter is in the magnet program there she loves it. She has attended there since kindergarten. I was a little worried at first but I guess that's just being an overprotected mom. The principal Ms. Turner is great as well as the administrative staff. The teachers are all great that my child has come in contact with. My child hasn't had any major problems with other students. The school is a little old but that isn't a big deal to me. It's what inside the school and the foundation that matters. Thanks TJ Family for caring and nurturing our children on a day to day basis. Grade A school by the way.

Posted March 23, 2012
I'm a substitute teacher and Thomas Jefferson is one of my favorite schools to work at. The teachers are very devoted and the students are eager to learn. I've never had a behavior issue inside the classroom. The school is old though, but I think that's part of its charm. I highly recommend this school.

Thomas Jefferson Elementary School 4

Posted October 11, 2011
I had 2 children attending Thomas Jefferson a few years ago. My daughter excelled in the program and was on the media team. My son did very well there in kindergarten but in first grade had the ESE teacher. He has ADHD. She failed him because of his behavior. We left the school the next year and went to Gregory Drive. It was the worst experience of his life. We are now back at Thomas Jefferson and he is EXTREMELY happy. I applaude their zero tolerance for bullies. I don't particularly care for the changes implemented this year toward parents because I think parents should have complete access to their children regardless of what time of day it is. But overall TJ is one of the better elementary schools on the westside.

Thomas Jefferson Elementary School
8233 Nevada Street, Jacksonville, FL  32220
Last modified Thomas Jefferson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomas Jefferson Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top