697 students|Duval

Bad
Good

Best school ever! Tons of parent/PTA involvement, student enrichment activities, teacher that go above and beyond

I used to go here from 1st to 2nd grade and this school was amazing. When I first moved to Florida I came from the Phillipines and didn't know very much English and I remember them taking extra effort to help me. There was no bullying from what I remember. Everyone was just so nice. By the way I'm in highschool now & this school really did leave a mark on me.

The school provides several opportunities for my son to have a holistic growth and development. The academics and extra-curricular activities are well balanced and the teachers & staff are extra helpful. Parents like me are engaged in many programs and activities to support our kids growth as well as our community. This year is my son's last year in this school and he'll bring many wonderful memories with him. Kudos to all the teachers and staff of HAE.

The Teachers and staff are unbelivable! I love this school!!!The principal rocks and is very interactive with the kids and adults!

Really top-flight. Wonderful teachers in charming physical plant built in the early 40s and spotlessly maintained. Prinipal--RB Rhoades--is very progressive and loved by the children. Our child transferred to Hendricks from San Jose Episcopal Day School in Jacksonville last year. We found that the students at Hendricks were much better prepared than those at San Jose in math, reading and writing, and enjoyed much better enrichment opportunities. Why pay $9000 a year for a sub-standard private school education when you can send your child to a top-flight public school at no cost? Teachers email you at least twice a week and are always available to discuss your child's progress. I wish I could give this school a 6 out of 5. It certainly deserves it!

I have heard nothing but good things about this school as with the previous comments. However, I am finding a few things disconcerting with my child in first grade. Neighboring schools with children in the same grade have, for instance, weekly math homework, weekly reading assignments which the teacher will assess the child's comprehension of the work at the weeks' end. My child has absolutely nothing brought home aside from a list of seven spelling words and Sunshine Math. Where is all daily work?? The concept of S. Math is progressive difficulty. But if I have no standard of where my child is with math concepts with no homework then how do I explain math equations that have progressive difficulty?? So I have no measure of where my child might be struggling or where I can help. I'm concerned that this school is keeping up with the progress of neighboring schools.

I'm 44 years old, went to this school and choose to have my two children there rather than private schoool. Many of the parents at Hendricks could afford private but are smart enough to take advantage of this public gem. Some commenters have taken shots about focus on religion (not true, but not a bad thing in a deteriorating society) and uncaring staff (not true). Regarding comments about 'no talking' in the cafeteria; I have lunch with my children and can tell you a period of silence is imposed if the chatter gets too loud - nothing extreme.... my wife and I volunteer and there's a reason the school has had 100% PTA membership since something like the mid-70's. The teachers are the best - they routinely come to their students' sporting events! While the principal might exhibit some 'unapproachable' tendencies as some have posted, she gets the job done.

We have loved this school and would not be happy with any others in this area.

The negative reviewer must be confusing this with another school. Everyone who is involved with Hendricks Ave Elem, absolutely loves this school. Their are many people who attend the school from out of the school boundary because they want their kids to go there. It is quite an excellent school and the kids are taught very well by caring staff and there is much support from parents both financially and in person. Great school.

Last modified Hendricks Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.