No rating

University Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 650 students

We are best known for Balanced approach to education.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $65,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted October 11, 2011

I have been a parent at University Christian School since 1999 and this school has been so wonderful to me and my family. They have provided my kids (3 of them) with a very safe, structured family environment that I always feel welcomed in. My oldest son has since graduated and is doing great, my other son is a Junior this year and has had the opportunity to experience the Online Academy as well as in class instruction and has enjoyed having the diversity of curriculum instruction, and my daughter is a 6th grader who is absolutely loving the Bridge Academy! Thank You UCS for all that you are to our community!

Posted September 30, 2011

I feel as if the facility is being run like a business and not a Christian school for children. Public schools cannot throw children out, unless they perform seriously violent acts, but they have to take them back with behavior interventions. It is my understanding that Christians show patience like in Numbers 14:18, Peter 3:9, & Romans 2:3-4. Where were the behavior interventions? Suspending 4 y/o does not teach them how to change their behavior. My daughter is a 4 y/o and I feel like this school is teaching her that people will give up on her & turn their backs on her when she needs the most guidance & has the most need. This school is teaching her that teachers don't care enough about her to help her learn how to modify her behavior. Have you heard of the saying "It takes a village.."? I also feel like the school gave up too quickly when my daughter challenged their authority.

Posted July 14, 2011

University has changed drastically over the years. The focus on academics is obvious in the choices their students are making in regards to college attendance. Their focus on a true experience with Christ has produced a number of students now leaving choosing to be a part of full time missions work. My oldest child just recetly graduated. We have been here through the ups and downs. The school is definatly headed on the right path. It was a great value for my dollar and gave my children the opportunity to be involved in excellent sports, arts and club programs with great teachers and coaches who were very good at their profession and loved my kids.

Posted June 28, 2011

I have three kids who attend University Christian for the last four years. My daughter just graduated and received a full scholarship to college. My son just finished 10th grade and tested for the College Placement Test and will start his college courses this summer. He was told by the FSCJ instructor that his Math score was the highest that she had graded in Duval County. I also have an upcoming 6th grader. UCS has implemented the Bridge Academy for 5th & 6th graders. They are separate from Elementary and Middle School. This program is wonderful because it prepares him for Middle School.

Posted June 28, 2011

My husband is a graduate of the school and he wouldn't have our children anywhere else. The class sizes are small and the parent teacher communication is outstanding. Our son is looking forward to the Bridge Academy and all it has to offer. It is our goal to have them at UC until they graduate. The upper school has many dual enrolment classes and extra help in taking the SAT's. We have been very pleased so far.

Posted January 31, 2011

I am looking to send my son to a Christian School next year. I have been very happy with the info I have received and to see that ALL of their teachers are required to have a BA or a BS degree. Some schools do not require teachers to have a degree and allow them to teach our children by only having a teaching certificate. This school is tops on my list right now. Happy hunting...

Posted April 9, 2010

Some of the teachers are very good, but overall this school is a huge disappointment. My oldest started in k-5 and graduated from UCS. I have since withdrawn my other children. This is NOT a college prep school (the highest SATs are barely over 1000) and it is certainly not christian, unless you define Christian as the complete absence of compassion for those who are less than perfect. So, what's the point?

Posted October 23, 2009

Great school! Fantastic teachers and principals, Mr. Steele and Mr. Nivens. Guidance counselor is super, Mr. Kerce. Great sports teams, cheerleaders are top notch in competitions. Reasonable tuition, good safety features in place.

Posted August 18, 2009

Loved this school for the entire 13 years I was enrolled there. K - 12! Would have no problem sending any future kids I may have there.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 16, 2009

UC is a diamond in the rough. Not only is it one of the best bargains compared to other private/Christian schools out there (did you know UC actually lowered its tuition for middle and elementary school for the 2009-2010 school year?), but its graduation requirements are actually higher than some of the so-called college prep schools in our fair city. To my knowledge, UC will also be the only private/Christian school in Jacksonville that will offer dual enrollment classes (college level classes with hs and college credit) on their campus, so students won't have to travel to FCCJ or UNF. All this plus a distinctively Christian environment. There were over 150 salvations in our student body this past year. PRAISE GOD! Its a new era at UC. You ought to check it out.

Posted May 4, 2009

i really like it but they can do better on teacher student interaction.

Posted April 8, 2009

This is my second year at University Christian. They have a very well balanced education, quality athletic and extra-curricular program, as well as a Christ centered approach. My child will graduate in two years well prepared for college!

Posted February 25, 2009

This is my daughters second year at UC,overall we are pleased.The teachers take a intrest in my daughter and call at the slightest change. Its like a family but with all famlies you have problems but overall a caring environment that allows my daughter to be herself. The school has imporoved each year. She will return for her Senior year. Go Christians.

Posted January 16, 2009

This school is outstanding. all kinds of sports, classes and great teachers. the staff and faculty cares deeply. and it inspires their students to do their best. Many students even go to the church, even though they don't have to. It truely is an excellent school!

Posted January 15, 2009

UC cares more about making children fit into a certain mold instead of celebrating their differences. They care more about 'are you chewing gum in the hall way' then the kids actual education. My kid was carrying a below 'C' average in one of the classes and I never got a phone call....however, when my kid wore a shirt (on a day that they didn't have to wear uniforms) that they didn't like (no profanity or anything of that nature) they called me and I had to leave work to bring another shirt in. It's crazy where they put their attention as teacher and faculty members. I will not enroll my child next year.

Posted November 12, 2008

I am very pleased with UC. This is my son's second year at UC. He is also happy here at UC.

Posted November 4, 2008

My niece came from out of the country to UCS, english is her second language, her experience in UCS has been great. Caring teachers and staff have made her feel just at home. Grades are good because of the help of the teachers. It is the christian enviroment that I just was looking for. Overall its a great place for your children to learn and excell in all areas.

Posted October 28, 2008

i have gone to uc since 3rd grade until 5th it is awsome
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 23, 2008

Its my senior year and i gave this school a 5 because it has some teachers who care about the students. every school has mistakes but UC tries and does its best which is pretty good.

Posted August 28, 2008

My son started attending UCS last year and I am very pleased. He loves it there also. I love the fact you can up progress of their grades and assignments online. The staff is very caring also. He went to public school so he had to adjusted to the workload but he has pretty well. I am a very proud of hime.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Duval County Public Schools
Private Christian schools which end at the 8th grade
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of North Florida
Liberty University
Florida State University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Voted a Top School in Jacksonville, FL (2010)

Arts & music

• Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Heath Nivens
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
  • Virtual school
  • Waldorf
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook