508 students|Duval

Bad
Good

Posted June 16, 2014
I am a mother that struggled for years with a child that was denied exceptional student education while attending another school. He was placed in the STAR program and I must say the educational instruction that my son serviced was outstanding. Mrs. Penny and Mrs. Carter are truly gifted educators and although the children have faced many educational challenges they are a powerful force that impact the children in a positive way. The guidance counselor is a wonderful person she's a busy bee however she is working to ensure no child is left behind. My son was a success story being he can performing below grade level and in one school year he was double promoted to the 5th grade and performing on grade level. Thank you thank you to the wonderful teachers & faculty that helped my child in the time of need.

Posted July 26, 2011
I have been very pleased with R.L.Brown Elementary. My oldest child has attended kindergarten and first grade and will return this fall for second grade and my daughter will begin kindergarten as well. The school offers Spanish, music, computer and art and the IB program is exceptional in its efforts to promote critical thinking skills instead of just rote memorization of facts kids will forget later. I overheard the Principal in the lunchroom one day trying to quiet the students and I greatly admired her approach of positive correction rather than bereating students as I have heard in other schools. My sons teachers were excellent. My son has ADHD and they showed great patience and understanding and worked with us to make sre his learning style and needs were addressed.

Richard L. Brown Elementary School 2

Posted December 16, 2010
This school leaves a lot to be desired. This is a Magnet school, however, this is a political term for money to be disbursed or funneled to this school. Some of the staff do their best. I have had an experience where my daughter and her class was told by a faculty member "I hope you fail the FCATS." Out of frustration for the out of control behavior going on in the class. I am sure this left a lasting impression on the children.

Posted May 17, 2010
This is the best school in Duval county! The IB program provides a blueprint for sucessful life long learners.

Posted March 28, 2008
I have a 1st and 5th grader in the magnet program at R.L Brown. I can not say enough how much I appreciate their teachers and staff. My children enjoy going to school everyday to see what they will learn that day. They have a wonderful after school program with activities and homework study time. We travel 40 miles every morning just to allow our children to attend R.L Brown Elementary. Thank you...

Posted August 27, 2005
I currently have two children attending RL Brown and another that attended through fifth grade last year. In all of the years that my children have attended the entire staff have been helpful and wonderful by keeping me in the loop with my childs educational needs. All of my kids have been either in the gifted or project edge programs and have blossomed as a result. I love this school and have recommended it to many of my friends and family.

Richard L. Brown Elementary School 4

Posted August 12, 2005
This is a wonderful school!! They have just implemented the primary yeas IB program and my daughters love this school. They have Spanish classes , music class , art , p.e. and computer and they are all available to all the children K - 5th! My daughters will be bilingual with having 5 years of Spanish!

Posted April 29, 2005
My son attended RL Brown for approximately 2 months before an out of state move. Atfirst, I was a bit hesitant because of the location, but the school turned out to be a great school with a very nice staff.

Posted February 24, 2005
I have a fifth grader and a first grader currently enrolled in Richard L. Brown Elementary School. They have a wonderful gifted program and are very responsive to student learning problems. The school is currently entering the process to become an International Baccalaureate Program. I am very excited about this, there are only a few such schools in the state. They have a full time art teacher, music teacher, librarian, coach, and on-site gifted and project e.d.g.e. staff, most schools do not.

Richard L. Brown Elementary School
1535 Milnor Street, Jacksonville, FL  32206
Last modified Richard L. Brown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.