Posted April 14, 2015
I love JWJ, we drive 45 minutes to school and home just to have the wonderful experience we do at JWJ. The 6th grade teachers are truly amazing especially Mr. Ricks. I have never seen such an amazing group of teachers and leaders. The sports are amazing, my daughter is on the track team and they provide so much more then a typical sport with team building and confidence. JWJ is truly preparing the students of the future. Much better then any private school. I would highly suggest JWJ.

Posted February 02, 2015
This school is THE BEST! I am a student there, and this is my first year. They say they train students in The Spirit of Excellence, and honestly, IT'S TOTALLY TRUE! I have had a few friends who were lazy at first, but with the help of teachers, they got WAY better, and ALWAYS work as hard as they can! Most of the other students are kind, and teachers try to help if they can. I love James Weldon. It may not seem organized to you, and honestly, that is true, but at the JWJ Trojans, we follow our Honor Code, and NEVER cheat. We also require for you to have a 2.0 GPA or higher to stay in this school, but that is what motivates you to WORK HARD, and ALWAYS do your best!
5 people found this helpful

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School 1

Posted January 16, 2015
James Weldon Johnson College Preparatory Middle School staff cares more about their standing with the history fair and district scores than they do about the students, our children. Teacher communication with parents is generally horrendous; parents are expected to micromanage our children's performance via the grade portal with full understanding of all the intricacies of each teacher's classroom. Students, especially bright boys who tend to test well but miss the boat on the Mt. Everest volume of work then fall behind in that regard are left to waller and are eventually expunged from the school's roll in order to maintain the school's academic reputation. This may be a high-scoring school but it most definitely is not a great school.

Posted January 13, 2015
My son is a 6th grader at JWJ. He loves it at JWJ! The teachers care about his success. The principal truly cares about each student's success as a student and a whole person. The middle school years are hard years, but there is a lot of support at JWJ. The workload is tough, but manageable. The culture is supportive and celebratory, so even smart kids are allowed to be kids. They get the freedom to become responsible and independent while protected. Not only that, there are great sports and lots of clubs! We could not be more happy!! JWJ ROCKS!!!!!

Posted January 09, 2015
We are so happy with this school. The staff, parents, and students are all amazing.

Posted November 13, 2014
I am very happy with many aspects of James Weldon Johnson. I am very impressed with the way the teachers and staff develop the whole student. The accelerated curriculum is challenging and engaging. You will get out of it what you put into it. Homework is daily, but manageable with good organization and time management skills. Students are diverse and accepting of everyone's differences. Administration has open communication and always strive towards improvements. Bus ride for my student is long, but still worth it. Students seem happy and have much pride in their school.
13 people found this helpful

Posted September 30, 2014
Love the diversity and individualism this school cultivates with well rounded programs and lots of heart. Exceptional teacher 'teams' in the 'gifted' track are committed to the students and employ creative teaching tactics that hone skills with positive reinforcement. Email communication is exemplary both proactively in mass by teachers or with websites, reminder emails and online grade portal updates and comments..and in response to specific issues. Credit goes to the extraordinary leadership by the dedicated principal, Mrs. Peek, who personally responds to email and escalates appropriately issues elevated her way. Required homework has been surprisingly manageable (lighter than expected) with clear expectations and timeframes, but kids that crave excelling in science/history fair or in literary contests may delve deeper as a matter of choice. School spirit is high with great sports teams. Weaknesses are ONLY those shared by other Duval public schools: overcrowded elective classes, limited sports facilities, basic supplies and shortages of support staff. Our child, bored in traditional classrooms and not a self-starter, has thrived here and is very proud to be a Trojan.
12 people found this helpful

Posted June 09, 2014
I rate this school a 5 out of 5 stars! sure there were some teachers that could've done better but the learning styles and fun incorporated into learning really makes up for it. it's very easy to get the information needed for high school and as a graduating 8th grader I think I am more than prepared for high school! the teachers really want you to succeed and go beyond just being a teacher for the school day but updating their websites and making quick contact with parents alike. I highly recommend this school it's totally worth it :)

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School 2

Posted June 05, 2014
I agree the the prior two posts stating that parent/teacher communication is awful. And, yes, if you reach email a teacher you get a rude or scarcastic response. My child was there 2 years, and I've never seen anything like it. We've been in other counties and in both private and public schools - 7 schools in all. This is by far the worst. If you email to check on a bad grade or missing assignment, you'll get an incomplete or rude answer. Never did I get a helpful suggestion or comment that indicated they cared about the grade (much less the child) one way or the other. I was completely on my own figuring out how my child was doing, and what he needed. Many of the teachers are very young and use multiple forms of technology for commnicating, but it's inconsistent and the main thing they should do - reach out to a kid and/or parent - they never do. They spend a lot of time updating their websites and maintaining a social media presence, none on actually connecting with the live people in their care. (8th grade girted was by far the worst. Very young, very arrogant teachers who are in need of supervision.) Wondering how they get some of the scores they get.....

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School 1

Posted May 25, 2014
This school is awful. There is no teacher communication. There is no feedback from the teachers. The more you inquire about your child s academic progress the more distant the teachers become. The teachers, administrators, staff are unresponsive and reactive. This was not what I envision from one of the top Magnet schools in Jacksonville. We are moving on. We will not continue to sacrifice my child s education by continuing to on with this lack luster school!
2 people found this helpful

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School
3276 Norman E Thagard Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL  32254
Last modified James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top