Posted September 30, 2014
Love the diversity and individualism this school cultivates with well rounded programs and lots of heart. Exceptional teacher 'teams' in the 'gifted' track are committed to the students and employ creative teaching tactics that hone skills with positive reinforcement. Email communication is exemplary both proactively in mass by teachers or with websites, reminder emails and online grade portal updates and comments..and in response to specific issues. Credit goes to the extraordinary leadership by the dedicated principal, Mrs. Peek, who personally responds to email and escalates appropriately issues elevated her way. Required homework has been surprisingly manageable (lighter than expected) with clear expectations and timeframes, but kids that crave excelling in science/history fair or in literary contests may delve deeper as a matter of choice. School spirit is high with great sports teams. Weaknesses are ONLY those shared by other Duval public schools: overcrowded elective classes, limited sports facilities, basic supplies and shortages of support staff. Our child, bored in traditional classrooms and not a self-starter, has thrived here and is very proud to be a Trojan.

Posted June 09, 2014
I rate this school a 5 out of 5 stars! sure there were some teachers that could've done better but the learning styles and fun incorporated into learning really makes up for it. it's very easy to get the information needed for high school and as a graduating 8th grader I think I am more than prepared for high school! the teachers really want you to succeed and go beyond just being a teacher for the school day but updating their websites and making quick contact with parents alike. I highly recommend this school it's totally worth it :)

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School 2

Posted June 05, 2014
I agree the the prior two posts stating that parent/teacher communication is awful. And, yes, if you reach email a teacher you get a rude or scarcastic response. My child was there 2 years, and I've never seen anything like it. We've been in other counties and in both private and public schools - 7 schools in all. This is by far the worst. If you email to check on a bad grade or missing assignment, you'll get an incomplete or rude answer. Never did I get a helpful suggestion or comment that indicated they cared about the grade (much less the child) one way or the other. I was completely on my own figuring out how my child was doing, and what he needed. Many of the teachers are very young and use multiple forms of technology for commnicating, but it's inconsistent and the main thing they should do - reach out to a kid and/or parent - they never do. They spend a lot of time updating their websites and maintaining a social media presence, none on actually connecting with the live people in their care. (8th grade girted was by far the worst. Very young, very arrogant teachers who are in need of supervision.) Wondering how they get some of the scores they get.....

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School 1

Posted May 25, 2014
This school is awful. There is no teacher communication. There is no feedback from the teachers. The more you inquire about your child s academic progress the more distant the teachers become. The teachers, administrators, staff are unresponsive and reactive. This was not what I envision from one of the top Magnet schools in Jacksonville. We are moving on. We will not continue to sacrifice my child s education by continuing to on with this lack luster school!

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School 3

Posted March 14, 2014
Being a new parent to middle-school and to James Weldon Johnson, I must say that I am not impressed with James Weldon Johnson as I thought I would be. The school encourages parents to be involved, but when you are-you're treated like a "bother" to some of the teachers. The teachers that my child has this year are "average"-with the exception of maybe 1 or 2. I am over being receiving email responses from teachers with rude undertones when I reach out to partner with them to ensure my child's overall educational success. All parents are not involved with their child's education, but it seems like if you are involved at JWJ- most of the teachers use this time to belittle your child and make you feel like your child is the worst child in their grade. I have seen great improvement in my child's academics this year and my child LOVES the school, but as a parent-I am NOT impressed with the "parent/teacher" relationship. Everything is communicated through the child [problems and all] and when you go to reach out to the teacher, the first thing I was told is "I spoke with your child about this and they should have told you"...It is still important for the teacher/parent to connect.

Posted October 28, 2013
I love this school. The teachers are amazing and they try to make school as fun as possible. They have great activities and school projects. I love the Greek day you get to have in 7th grade, it's amazing. The students are also really good and social. I recommend this school to everyone

Posted August 27, 2013
This is a gifted and academically talented magnet that does not have enough books for their students.

Posted August 25, 2013
This is one of the best schools in Florida. Number one in reading and writing in the STATE. The sports teams are undefeated, the work is good and provides a nice challenge. I recommend the school. The teachers and principal are very focused on discipline and respect. My son loves it.

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School 3

Posted July 25, 2012
My child has attended JWJ for 2 yrs going on third. I think JWJ is an average school. We are not sure that the education is that much greater than he would be getting in Honors or advanced classes at our local middle school. The transportation issue, as well as, the huge about of homework, loss of quality family time and the topics of the summer reading books they require, really makes us question the value of our decision to go here. The teachers are average, meaning some are really great and some are not great at all. The homework load is to heavy and busy work with little purpose for learning. We are still not sure about 2012-13, still looking at other options. Promise of new block schedule system to improve things, not sure if we want to wait around to see!!!

Posted February 10, 2012
JWJ is an incredible school. I drive 45 minutes to get there and it is worth every second. We came in 6th grade from a private school and I can tell you first hand it is 300% better than what we had previously paid $10,000 a year for. The teachers are awesome and the kids are from diverse backgrounds. Everyone is made to feel welcome and part of the JWJ family. Our child absolutely flourished from day one. We will be so sad when we have to leave. Go Trojans!

James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School
3276 Norman E Thagard Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL  32254
Last modified James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Weldon Johnson College Prepartory Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top