Stanton College Preparatory

Public | 9-12 | 1546 students

Posted June 24, 2014

When I was here freshman year, everything was fine. I attended LaVilla and knew I didn't want to play an instrument for the rest of my life, so I chose Stanton over Douglas Anderson. I didn't do well in the AP I started out with because I had no choice in the AP I wanted. My worst subject is history. I'm just not good at it. So, I didn't do well, but I did well in all of my other classes. When sophomore year came, it all went downhill very quickly. I was given the worst teachers ever. Everyday, they would complain how the generation of students are getting dumber and dumber and would not help you at all. I have insomnia and I blacked out in one of my classes and when I went to my teacher to apologize for passing out in class, he told me he had no reason to help me. My grades went down as a result. So, many teachers here will put you down rather than try and help you. The education is great, I honestly loved the material I was learning, but I couldn't stand the teachers. They were all very unwelcoming and rude. I guess it was just a bad year, but it was bad enough to make me want to leave, and I left with lifelong anxiety I never had before coming here.

Posted May 22, 2014

I have to say, this school was one of the worst schools I have ever attended. I attended this school for one year but ended up leaving not because it was too rigorous but because I was bullied and not a single administrator took any action against it. Their only goal is to maintain their academic rating and do not care about injustice or bullying happening in the school. One of the faculty members even tried to buy me off with lunch. I spoke with multiple administrators and because the people who were bullying me were strong in their academics and played sports, they took no action against them whatsoever. Sure, they have great academics but when you have people trying to get rid of your complaints by buying you lunch, it's pathetic. Leaving this school was one of the best things I ever did.

Posted May 17, 2014

Stanton College Prep is designed to challenge one's mind. It's simple; if you don't want to push yourself, do not attend. You have to be able to push yourself to get through all 4 years. They provide great teachers who motivate and encourage students, even though they seem like they hate you. It is a very hard school, but it teaches you things beyond the textbooks that you can rarely see in neighborhood schools. You meet several people that have complex cultural background, over half of our school is minority. This interaction provides you with an experience that you can not receive in a neighborhood school. Yes, it is stressful and there is a lot of work involved, but if you really want to succeed, or see your child succeed, send them here. I was a Varsity athlete 3 out of my 4 years (10-12) and I currently have a 3.56 GPA unweighted, I take all AP classes, I am a member of National Art Honor Society and National Honor Society, and I dedicate my weekends to volunteering and socializing. Time management is essential. But I suggest starting off in honors courses, and if you can handle that, move on to IB courses.

Posted October 5, 2013

Alright, I don't know why people complain about the hard work and the lack of connection between students and teachers. I am a Junior currently attending Stanton as an IB student. Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, Stanton is one of the best schools there is. I have a bitter-sweet relationship with this school. The work is overwhelming, and the facility may be a bit old, but besides that, this school is seriously awesome. It has challenged me mentally, and academically. Coming from a not-so-bright middle school did not really prepare me for this type of work. However, I had to force my way through it and now I am actually an OK student. I take pride in attending one of the top schools in the nation and you should too. If you do not want to be here, leave, there is other people willing to take your spot. Also, the teachers are amazing. I don't know what some of the people on here are talking about. Sure there's a few iffy teachers here and there, but a good majority of the teachers I've had have been amazing. If your child is failing, go to tutoring or instill in him a harder work ethic.

Posted February 13, 2013

i'm a senior at this school and the experience my vary, if your not a good student or one who cant keep up good work then the 4 years can be hard, im and ib student and at first i had a mixed experience first semester as freshmen, but if you find the correct path it will be a great experience, and the ib is so worth it, the college im going to, cause i did the Ib, I get to skip the first two years of my bachelor's degree, so only two years, but if you you the ib you are most likely skip 1-2 years of college

Posted December 26, 2012

I am in my third year at Stanton and I can say without thinking twice that Stanton is by far the worst school I have attended. I moved to Stanton from a private school in Jacksonville and I can say that the teachers are not looking out for a student in the same way a teacher would at a school such as Episcopal or Bolles, and that the students found at Stanton cover a broad spectrum from the highly competitive to the druggies. I wish to leave Stanton but sadly as a result of the sky high tuitions at my former private school I am locked into one more year of this horrible school.

Posted August 29, 2012

This is a really good school and will prepare you for college. It may be overwhelming at first but you will be successful after high school. This is an amazing high school and I highly reccomend it! Hard working students and good enviroment!

Posted March 19, 2012

Stanton was definitely the best experience of my life. In response to some of the negative posts, I will say that not all teachers respond the minute you email them. However, it is a college prep school and I have found that my professors at FSU certainly don't always respond quicky, if at all. However, everything about the school is just wonderful. Some of the sports are excellent. The theatre department is amazing and always successful. What is more important is the environment. Every student at Stanton is there to learn, and to go to college. Having that sort of positive network of determined and driven students definitely had a positive effect on me. Also, I know many students who were inspired by the mix of various cultures at Stanton. The school spirit is always high, the lack of discipline issues is great, and the guidance department is absolutely phenomenal. Both my brother and myself attended Stanton (he was in IB, I was in honors), and it was the best decision possible. Go Blue Devils!

Posted January 11, 2012

I'm not sure where the previous posters get their stats. Stanton is the highest rated school in the county, with a graduation rate of 98%. IB graduation rate is similar. We also have the highest AP pass rate in the county, and one of the highest in the country. I am the mother of a senior IB student and an incoming freshman. My son has had great teachers, and while he has worked very, very hard to be successful, has also played four years of a varsity sport, and been involved in all kinds of clubs and activities, both in and out of school, as have all of his friends -- all National Honor Society members. It's quite possible, it just takes work, commitment and good time management. As for counseling, it's far superior to what any of his friends have received in Duval/St. Johns schools, and although he has opted to stay in state - he has many friends going to excellent colleges all over the country. Get the facts before you make decisions. Stanton's a great school!

Posted January 10, 2012

The peer group is excellent with nice students from all races and backgrounds. The administration staff are very nice but guidance counseling is average since most kids go to Florida colleges. The reason why they are ranked in the top 10 schools is because all of the students are required to take AP exams. Stanton has the worst AP exam pass rate (30%) in the district which is embarrassing since the students are much more capable than that. The teachers are terrible and there are few text books. i.e. Exams results are not returned for a month and the child never knows how they did while studying for finals. 2 chapters of a language were covered in 4 months and the last chapter is covered in one week before the final exam. The teachers are proud of the bad grades they dish out and the students struggle to chase the demands of disorganized teachers. The sports team suffer as many kids that were previous A students are quiting teams and not going out for teams because they stay up until midnight everynight studying when not playing on a team. Playing sports will really hurt your grades here.

Posted November 12, 2011

Before enrolling your child at Stanton, be sure to educate yourselves more about the success rate. We found out that less than 20% are successful at Stanton. Our straight A child whom attended Stanton for one year still feels that it was the worst year of her academic life, even though she still maintained her high standards. I also, like another parent who has previously commented, felt as though the teachers/staff were very lax with their communication. It's not particularly the curriculum that I complain about, its the staff uncaring attitudes.

Posted August 25, 2011

Several members of my family including myself graduated from SCPS and went to college. Students that did not suceed at SCPS were unable to maintain the high acedemic and mature expectations. The environment is a college prep atmosphere, teachers counselors should not have to respond to every trivial request.

Posted June 30, 2011

I am astonished by some of the poor reviews I read. Both my children have attended Stanton and I been extremely happy with the school. I am very pleased my children are around other children who desire to learn and are inspired by outstanding teachers. There are ample opportunities for students who are struggling. However, I do think the curriculum is challenging and not for every child. I teach at a private school in the area, but am very pleased to have my children attending Stanton!

Posted June 10, 2011

I am astounded by the last couple of comments. They sound like helicopter parents. This is hands down the best high school in the area--including privates. Always rated one of the top 10 public high schools in the nation by US News. Very diverse with a population of very intelligent kids with a wonderful South African principal. Our son has loved the IB program, but the AP track is also terrific. This school sets kids up for success by requiring much from them. Due to the quality of education, among other things, our son is being courted by 3 schools in the Ivy League. Getting in to Stanton is not easy. If you are foolish enough to leave when your kid has been admitted, I feel sorry for you.

Posted April 11, 2011

Our family is still trying to figure out what all the rave was about with this school. Our child has had the worst experience here in their entire life. We've found the teachers to not be caring and forget about having any of them ever respond to an email or call back. I'm in the same boat as the person who posted below - my child also will not return next school year.

Posted March 23, 2011

Very little communication between parent/teacher/counselor. My child will not go return next year. While it may fit others, it was not a fit for our family.

Posted March 21, 2011

Excellent school. This is my daughter's first year and she had a little difficulty. I contacted her counselor and teachers and they were very quick in responding. They were willing and resourceful in assisting our needs.

Posted March 7, 2010

take my advice, even if you are not a sports person, join a club that you like freshman year and STICK to it one hundred and ten percent. Think about what you can put on your college application. Do everything you can to be involved in the school, especially volunteering. If not, then Stanton would be a waiste.

Posted November 3, 2009

It is the best school. It has a wonderful IB program, and a wonderful Honors program that exceeds any other school. On Blue Devils On Blue Devils!!!!!

Posted October 1, 2009

I love Stanton College Prep because it has a great learning environment, the kids are smart and motivated, and it is culturally diverse...it is a great school!

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

428 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

365 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

363 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

426 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

364 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

191 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

338 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (904) 630-6758

Foreign languages taught
  • Japanese

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)