Beacon Cove Intermediate School

Public | 3-5 | 921 students

Posted June 5, 2014

Wow, so sad to read the reviews as our family has had the most fantastic experience with BCI. We have several children, & have been there for 6 continuous years & have found the teachers to be extremely generous with their time, giving to each of the students' individual needs, & find them very open minded about a wide range of issues from severe autisum to food allergies. Our family has seen nothing but compassion come from the teachers. We also feel the gifted program is not from the 1950's rather the classes seem to be from the future. These kids have done things in class where they think outside the box with a variety of lessons ranging from insulators & conductors, civil engineering, creating friction, solutions to chemical changes in varying states of matter. BCI produces kids who are capable of solving world problems, they run for office in the classroom, do speeches, & discuss ways the Earth can be saved in the future by using ideas from these very children! Some would say they were RARELY in their seats as they are creating, inventing, & thinking in groups around the classroom, science stations, or building futureistic inventions. For our family BCI gets an A+

Posted May 23, 2014

Teachers are terrible! I have seen teachers screaming in a child's face as I was walking down the hallway. Teachers will recognize, praise and reward their favorites, and the rest of the students are ignored. Awards are given out fairly often, yet my son went there three years and never received one. He is an A student who follows the rules, but is ignored for some reason. Beacon Cove has made him feel he is not a worthy individual. I have two older children who were the teacher's "favorites" going through BCI, now I know why people complain about this school so much. My son is an ese student and has to attend speech class. I imagine this is why the teachers mistreat him so much. The immaturity level of these teachers is hard to believe.

Posted November 19, 2013

We pulled our child out of this school after only a month and are happy we did. I can only speak of the gifted program, which is like a prison of fearful children sitting silently in desks all day long, cranking out worksheet after worksheet and following a militant set of rules enforced by fear tactics. There is absolutely no creativity, innovation, or modern methodologies happening here (we moved from an excellent school system in CT); it feels as if you have travelled back in time to the 1950s. The focus is FCAT prep, every day, year long. My daughter is a smart, social, and responsible child and her teachers here were literally crushing her spirit and love of learning. We moved to Benjamin School and she is thriving again.

Posted August 14, 2013

I was not only happy about the location and cleanliness of this school but the staff and programs offered. Not only do they have the best after school care program EVER, the school's respect for each pupil, parent and teacher leaves much to be admired. I am so glad my son went there for 2 years and was not disappointed at all.

Posted March 22, 2013

I am truly unhappy with this school. My child is an 'A' 'B' student and also has ADD, tourette's and Tic disorder. While in the meetings, they sing praises, my child is constantly getting 'check marks' for bad behaviors, yet it's never brought to my attention. The teachers are all about the gossip and who's who and the principal has not been helpful whatsoever and in fact is very dismissive. I feel that the administration takes the word of one parent or child and runs with it instead of addressing it with the person involved. I cannot WAIT until the school year is over and we can leave that school once and for all.

Posted February 8, 2013

I have been fortunate enough to volunteer as a docent at the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach for 10 years now. This morning I took one of the 4th grade classes at Beacon Cove on a tour and was unusually impressed by not only their level of preparation and enthusiasm, but by their exemplary conduct , behavior and conversation. I found these children to be easily on a social/academic "par" with students at the very prestigious Benjamin School. I now must coerce my daughter into moving to Jupiter so that my grandsons might attend this extraordinary school.

Posted January 25, 2013

One should take the comments by a few disgruntled parents with a box of salt. One parent couldn't find one thing to praise and you should always be wary of that kind of comment. My son is now in fourth grade there and we have found it to be an extraordinary public school and certainly on par with most of the privates in the area. Terrific gifted program, caring teachers and administrators. The one drawback might be the After Care program. My son loved the After Care at Lighthouse Elementary, but was extremely unhappy with Beacon Cove, so we were forced to withdraw him. I have heard this from several parents. This should certainly be addressed. Otherwise, we have nothing but positive things to say about this wonderful school.

Posted May 15, 2012

I love this school! I am currently a gifted student in 5th grade and everything went well. My math and social studies scores got a lot better and the teachers are strict but great! Mr. Viera is the best teacher there.

Posted September 3, 2011

Completly unsatisfactory. Bad food, rude teachers, pay for overpriced extra curricular activities, long pick up and drop off waits,constant solicitation of money, no activities at recess, students asked to draw or talk while teacher "catches up on work", academics taught to FCAT(very basic), students punished for simple mistakes and common behaviour. All and all a toxic environment and one to commonly found in todays public school system.

Posted February 4, 2011

Beacon Cove is a great school. The gifted program is phenomenal and all the teacher are great. The school is the best place to go for 3rd 4th and 5th grade, I can tell you that from personal experience.

Posted November 9, 2010

I am extreamly disappointed with my child's expierence at Beacon Cove. He went throught testing and is determined to in BOTH reading and math comprhension skills sit on a 6.8th grade level. He is very sensitive and his feeling are hurt very easily. He gets along with other adults better than he does his peers. He has some social issues and ADHD. I also see other children behaving the same way and even one student told my child in the lunchroom that he was going to punch him in the face. I teach him to tell his teacher when this happens and he did. He said his teacher replied to him "I didn't see it, there's nothing I can do about it". One of his classmates knows the Family Guy characters names. Not A rated as far as I am concerned.

Posted November 5, 2009

Everything works...terrific teachers, strong leadership, high academic standards and students who love to learn.

Posted February 11, 2009

Best school around! After coming from a very advanced private school, I fit right in at BCI and the adjustment was simple. All of the teachers are amazing and school is fun. So many extra curricular activites! Super gifted program. Mrs. Hukill is the best there is, she knows every single student's name and is very positive and helpful. Send your child there!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 26, 2008

BCI is THE top public school in the area (if not all of Florida.) I overheard other parents calling it the 'private public' school and that really about sums it up. From the uniforms to the high standards and challenging curriculum...this school is all that I hoped for as an educator/ parent. The quality of education seems to even surpass local private schools. The principal Mrs. Hukill is why this school is so good. Dedicated, nurturing, and strong...She cares, she is always there and her leadership abilities are remarkable. The teachers are superb and motivated to teach & inspire. The clubs and activities offered are many. Also, parental involvement high (awesome PTO.) Overall GREAT SCHOOL!I am very pleased and consider it a privilege to have my child attend.

Posted November 23, 2007

I highly recommend this school, the principal is well aware of all that goes on , and she doesn't tolerate any nonsense. The school really prepares the students for middle school.

Posted August 31, 2007

This school is amazing! I feel it all stems from the top. The principal is by far the best. She accepts what she expects, and that is excellence! My daughter was amazed Ms.Hukill knew her name within a few days of her being in school. Ms.Hukill is always smiling, always greeting the children in mornings and afternoons. I could see my daughter walk taller when she headed to class after Ms.Hukill just expressed to her how beautiful she looked on that particular day. My child was at her former school for 4 years and the principal never smiled, had no idea who she was, and was constantly stern with the children. The teachers at Beacon are phenomenal, and are always willing to help. They encourage and inspire, and I am thrilled to now be sending my second child through Beacon Cove!

Posted July 25, 2007

I attended Beacon Cove for 3rd grade, 4th and 5th grade, and I loved it. I met tons of friends, learned everything I needed to know for middle school, and truly made memories! The academics are fantastic, the extra curricular activities are amazing and the teachers are always willing to provide help. I believe although Physical Education is applied once a week, I belive it should be 2 or 3 times a week. Sometimes kids aren't able to get the adequate amount of exercise necessary to maintain a healthy body at home. I think students should have the privilege of getting exercise and an education all at the same place. I loved Beacon Cove and I know that any new-coming students will love it too! I would definitely recommend Mrs. Simmons!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 3, 2007

This is an incredible school. The principal makes certain that this is a very well run machine. The teacher/parent contact is tremendous and with EdLine there is no confusion where your child's grades stand. AAA+++ K. Williams

Posted May 13, 2006

My son is in a gifted third grade class for 2005-2006 and it is wonderful! The teachers are top notch, the curriculum is challenging, and the extras are art, music, P.E., science/math lab, computer lab, and media. Since most of the kids in his class perform above grade level, the teachers don't have to stress the FCAT and can be more creative and add interesting material. There are few discipline problems in the class. There are many involved parents and the teachers have more than enough help. The principal is an excellent leader, supports the teachers, and is very accessible to parents and students. The school is safe and located in a nice neighborhood. After trying another local elementary school and a charter school, this school is by far the best in the area, in my opinion!

Posted April 4, 2006

Great school! My daughter went there all three years and absolutely loved all of her teachers!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

296 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

297 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

309 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

309 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

308 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

337 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music