Independence Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1322 students

Sweep tile

Posted Sunday, April 13, 2014

I am a current 7th grader at IMS, the school does have a bit of cons and some pros. After the new principle came in last year everything has changed there are more rules and consequences. The education is good except some teachers get mad if you don't understand the lesson (Math teachers mostly). The school has great academies (Pre-Business, Pre-Law, Pre-Medical, and Pre-Teacher). The is not that good but not horrible. And some teachers are great and some are not that......great. I have had some problems with some kids in my years and still with me today but not that bad. The bullying is not perfect either. But overall the school is pretty good (Way better than JMS your other selection).

Posted January 30, 2014

I am a current 6th grader at IMS. On my first day, the students and staff were very nice and understanding and it was easy to fit in. The lunch here is actually very good, and I prefer it. There are a lot of fights and a lot of bullies, but if you are a parent, don't even bother going to the Administration as they do not care.

Posted December 27, 2013

My daughter has attended IMS the last 2 and a half years. When she started IMS in 6th grade, I was scared for her...such a large campus, so many students, and so many children that emit such a sense of entitlement. I joined the PTO and volunteered as often as I could so that I was able to see how the school was run. The school has completely changed in a short period of time (we had a Principal leave and a new one come in at the end of 2012/2013 school year)...the school feels safer, the staff at the school seems to care much more than those at our local elementary schools (Beacon and LHES), and the teachers are all wonderful. (Don't get me wrong, there was a personality conflicts with a teacher, but that's bound to happen.) We have a wonderful PTO Board, a terrific group of parents that are members of the PTO and very involved in school and the SAC Committee, as well as a phenomenal Principal, A/P, and Guidance Counselor team. I have been very happy with the school

Posted November 9, 2013

In 6th grade, I did not like IMS at all, but looking back as a 9th grader, my last two years there were fantastic. The transition was a little difficult to get used to but after a while, I fit right in. There is a moderate amount of bullying, and the administration really is not helpful in that area at all, but if you know who to avoid, you will be fine. Most of the teachers there are fantastic. The cafeteria food isn't gourmet or anything, but it expectable for a public school. The academics are great, and each of the academies there are wonderful, (especially Pre-law and Pre-Teacher). Overall I had a very positive experience at Independence. Looking back now, I miss it so much, and almost wish I was still going there. Take it from a student, this school is great. Most of these other reviews are from people who had bad experiences (mostly parents). It actually is a pretty good school, and I felt very comfortable there. (It's also MUCH nicer than JMS, your other alternative.)

Posted September 10, 2013

I attended this school for about a week and a half last year and was bullied from the start. I walked into P.E. and an eighth grader just started cursing at me. On top of that I was placed in a math class with All the kids week had been in the "advanced" math class (I had been in gifted- but there is no gifted math) which contained me and about 29 other students who hadn't been in the gifted program (& I had a perfect score in math the previous year.) A majority of these students had attended the same elementary school as I and had bullied me there! Nobody would allow me to sit with them in lunch claiming that they "were saving those seats". My mother and I then had a meeting with the assistant for 7th grade (the sixth grade one wasn't available) who said she would"find a friend for me". She did not. Finally after constantly begging my parents I was allowed to transfer back to Catholic School. I would not recommend sending your child to This school unless the only thing that matters to them is popularity.

Posted September 6, 2013

Nice school! Only con is that the laptops are dated. Teachers are great! Good pre med and pre law programs!

Posted June 23, 2012

What a mistake!! from day one he was being bullied. Started on the school bus, then into the school itself. Contacted the School administration the First day about this via e-mail and never received a response back, the pushing - shoving continued. The only thing that happened is the liason officer came on the Bus and stated the over crowding can't be helped and they are watching everyone on the Bus. In school the kids would make fun of him because of his name. Open his back pack laugh at him when everything fell out on the floor. At lunch no one would let him sit at the lunch tables, stating it's saved and then nobody sits there. How would that make you feel. Finally I went to the School and demanded a meeting with the school counselor. The meeting went well, promises where made to have him matched up with another student, also for someone to sit with him during lunch. Wow, It happened only one time. No improvements to anything. His grades went from A's to F's. Depression set in and as parents saw him slide so bad he did not want to go to School. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL! They have Bully problems and say they care. This is an A rated school REALLY! P.S. we moved back to Wi

Posted December 7, 2011

Hello, I am a current 8th grader at independence. This school is a little too strict and kind of treats us like elementary school kids. The food here isn't as great. The education is alright but sometimes the teachers get mad when I don't understand the lesson. What is good about this school is there is hardly ever any fights. But bullying happens quite a lot. The kids here are a little bit mean. They will give you dirty looks or say something mean if they hear a rumor or two. Even though this school can improve on something. I wouldn't go to any other school but this one because I have a lot of middle school memories now.

Posted August 31, 2011

I am a seventh grade student and I came to this school in the middle of the year last year from Cincinnati Ohio. The kids at this school were not very friendly to me and cussed A LOT which is completely different than my schools in Ohio. The teachers were pretty nice but never informed me on what I needed to know about the school or their classrooms. The school also took a long long time to put me into gifted. I was gifted up in Ohio but for some reason they would not except my gifted testing down in Florida, so they told me that I would have to take it again. I was okay with this until I realized that they would not be testing me until 7th grade. Why it would take them so long, I have absolutely no idea. So my mother payed for me to get tested over the summer and I was once again identified as gifted. Now I am a gifted seventh grader and it has become a lot easier. The group of people in gifted are all together nicer in my experience than those in regular, but I have met some really nice regular students that are still my friends to this day. All in all I don't think that there is anything special about this school or that it is bad. It is just plain average.

Posted July 18, 2011

My son also had a terrible time with the bullying at IMS!!! Nothing, absolutely nothing was done by the school police or the principal. The teachers had another student walk w/him from class to class as much as possilbe. There was NO, ABSOLUTELY NO ZERO TOLERENCE for bullying @ IMS! I pulled him out in the middle of Feb. 2010 because it was so bad! So he did all of 6th and half of 7th - I cried just about every time I dropped him off. He was depressed and had social anxiety. We live in North Palm and I had to drive him because the buses were so overcrowded and the kids from Riviera Beach were so prejudice, they were always picking on the white kids!! We hated IMS! Hate dit!!

Posted June 13, 2011

my name is Nery, my Sons name is David he is in 7th grade- the reason why I tranferred my son IMS is becuase he was bullied at Howell L Watkins middle twice. since my son started IMS I have not had any telephone calls from his teachers, student counselor or the AP to discuss my son's grade, on the contrary all telephone calls I have received is to inform me that my son had to be picked up because he was given a referrral by Mr. Alli his reading coach (not the teacher to my knowledge before giving referrals there has to be parent/teacher conference. the last day of school I received another call from the school principal i was very irrate went to the school requested to speak with the principal she did not come to talk to me said she would call me as now now I am still waiting for her call. my son will be repeating the 7th grade. I believe that if the teacher would have shown more insterest to my son he would have done excellent. the teacher that constantly gave referral her name is ms. ali, why was she the ony one to give referrals? makes me wonder if she just did not like my son

Posted January 12, 2011

our 1st year at IMS. 7th grade. my child is adhd and the teachers seem to be very receptive to helping my child stay on task and following through with the IEP. i am in constant contact with them about my child. bullying has been an issue and i don't think enough is done to deter it. there needs to be a no tolerance policy!

Posted September 25, 2010

Independence Middle School is a great school! The teachers are nice and the principal cares. The teachers help you do your best. There is bullying but, this year the principal is stopping it. She is spreading awareness all over the school to help. I reccomend this school to all students if you want a safe and educational school!

Posted April 8, 2010

IMS is ok i came in the middle of the year in 6th grade and took band it hass such a good band teacher even though i hope it stays that way because mr sonntag is leaving this year and i hope we have a good teacher also the dress code is soo riduculis it is crazy there are no good and cute collared shirts for girls unless ur willing to pay 40 for one at the mall the teachers are 2 out of 5 the adcanced classes are barely any different than the regular classes there is alot of cussing in that skool to but overall it is ok

Posted February 19, 2010

Being a 6th grader at IMS, I was coming into middle school with my head held high.The first day of school, I had my schedule changed to PE. I am NOT an athletic person at all and my mother igned the applicable opt-out-of-gym form and yet I still got gym. The first day I was put in all regular when I was supposed to be in FULL GIFTED!!! Another thing that was kind of annoying is the dress code. I mean collars. I have some adorable tops and they ARE school appropriate and they have sleeves but NO i cant wear the because they dont have a collar attached to them. But the upside is all of my teachers are WONDERFUL!!!!

Posted November 21, 2009

this school is really good. the teaches are nice and the eighth graders are not mean and there is hardly any fighting going on.

Posted August 6, 2009

love this school clean and nice and the teachers and students are all great

Posted July 7, 2009

I go 2 IMS (Independence Middle School),7th grade, and i think that IMS is one of the best schools ive been to! The teachers there care about the students and how well they do no matter what! I would reccomend IMS to any student! GO IMS EAGLES!

Posted February 21, 2009

Not all of the teachers take into account if a student has a special need such as ADHD and assist them accordingly; it's a huge school and the kids are basically 'on their own to sink or swim'

Posted January 12, 2009

When my son was getting ready to enter the 6th grade I was not sure about IMS. I had heard mixed reviews, but the majority of the negative feedback was related to the then-principal. In the end we elected to have our son attend IMS and I can say 6th grade was a real adjustment, not due to the school, just due to the change from elementary. Now that we have a new principal with an amazing reputation the school has improved remarkably and this year my 7th grader is thriving. The rest of the administration is great, we really like our A.P. and have been lucky with most of the teachers. We did have one teacher we weren't very happy with early in the year, but we nipped it in the bud by speaking to the administration and the problem was resolved. This is a top-notch school. Highly recommend!!

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

425 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

424 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

458 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

402 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 56% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 79% in 2013.

417 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

397 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

n/a

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music