1,327 students|Palm Beach

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Average. School is just okay, especially if your student is serious and interested in learning. If that describes your child, I would consider a choice program that reflects your child's interests. The public schools in Palm Beach County lag so far behind and your only saving grace oftentimes is getting into schools like Bak, Dreyfoos, Suncoast, etc. If your child is loves to learn, the choice programs do seem to better prepare students vs. a general education, and this holds very true at IMS.

I love this school and I have I had the best memories there. All the teachers and staff are amazing..

While faculty should definitely focus on the academic rather than the social...any responsible middle school should be very aware of burgeoning bullying problems and have strategies to promote community/kindness and discourage "clique-ish" behaviors. Jupiter's young folks are devolving into galvanized cliques at progressively younger ages before our very eyes. In 5+ years of coaching the same age group with JTAA...I see it clearly. My JMS kids at least all know each others names...my IMS kids seem to be complete strangers unless they're neighbors.

I have had two daughters go through Independence Middle, my youngest is about to graduate from 8th grade. Both of my girls had very different, but extremely positive experiences. They both made huge academic gains over the course of their three years and were able to take high school level classes in 8th grade (math & foreign language.) The teachers and administration have been nothing but outstanding! The academies, chorus, band, sports teams, and extra-curriculur clubs are just a few amazing things that IMS has to offer. No middle school is perfect but this school is about as close as you can get!

serious bulling problems in this school and staff don't protect kids. 3 hours of homework every night in 6 th gr in regular classes if you child forget his homework he will get a 0 THIS IS THE ONLY SCHOOL were you can 4TH with an F!!!!!!

I am satisfied with Independence and think it's a very good school. While it does have most of the problems associated with a adolescents growing into teenagers, I think that the staff and education provided are excellent. There's some bullying, as there would be in any middle school, but my children told me that it's not terrible, and there are not many fights at all. All things considered, my children are happy with the school, and I'm happy with the education.

Great school my child is thriving in all areas. Very pleased with the choice programs.

My child has attended IMS for 3 yrs. and it has been a great experience. He came from a small private school and adjusted very well to life in a big school. We've had our problems (no school is perfect) BUT any issues were taken seriously and quickly resolved. The Pre-Law Academy is wonderful and the teacher is great. In his 3 yrs at IMS he has only seen maybe a handful of fights and bullying is taken VERY seriously at this school. He came to IMS not knowing anyone and quickly made many friends. Overall his experience has been a great one and IMS has definitely prepared him for high school next year.

My daughter is a 7th grader at IMS and she loves it. The teachers are responsive and helpful. She struggled one semester in a class and her teacher invited her to her classroom before school so she could do her homework there and the teacher would assist her if she needed help. That worked out great and she pulled up her grade and made the honor roll. So far, all of her teachers have been helpful and responsive. She has good friends and has never had a problem with bullying. The new principal has made good changes and the campus is definitely more secure. My daughter has told me that the principal handles problems and does not ignore them. There is a VERY high percentage of kids at this school who make the honor roll and get good behavior scores. She made friends easily and joined clubs too. Great field trips, school dance, sports, clubs, etc. I love this school! I read the other reviews, and they make it look like there is a lot of bullying, but I disagree. I think the amount is less than most schools and that the teachers, staff, and principal take it seriously when it does happen. There are over a thousand students, and the large majority are great kids.

I am a current 7th grader at IMS. It is a good school and teachers really care however it is very bad for kids who aren't "popular" if you come to this school your bound to get cursed out on your first day. I have seen things at this school that i wish I had not once a kid got thrown down the bleachers ad beat on by a older 8th grader wright in front of the two gym coaches who just sat back in there chairs as if they were to cowardly to even help the kid. The new princeaple is somewhat of a bully to the kids however all the assistant principle's are very kind and caring. Overall this school is not good for a kid who does not know self defense cause there going to need it.

Last modified Independence Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.