Santa Fe Advantage Academy

Charter | K-5 | 288 students

Our school is best known for our rigorous Math and Science programs

Posted June 11, 2014

Regarding the pink behavior forms that are sent home, my child has received two this year, however, this has not effected his grades academically. Most schools have conduct grades as well as academics. When this form is sent home it only effects the student's conduct grade and as a parent instead of being upset with the school you should be talking with your child and making sure that they understand that the behavior that caused them to receive the form is unacceptable. Yes, sometimes the children are in the parking lot of the school but that is not gym nor recess and it is chained off during school hours. Overall Santa Fe is a great school, has always encouraged parental involvement and my child is extremely happy there. He didn't want to leave for the summer, telling me that he is going to miss all the teachers. Being that he just finished kindergarten, I am hopeful that my experience with the school will only get better each year, as it has been amazing for me this year.

Posted May 16, 2014

Is a good school with a friendly atmosphere the staff are excellent and help each child according to their needs I recommend

Posted May 6, 2014

The P.E. field is actually not in the parking lot. The church next door allows Santa Fe to use their relatively large yard which can be accessed through a side door by the playground. It may not be perfect but better than a parking lot.

Posted May 3, 2014

There is a lot of room for improvement. Having a child who attends this school I can tell where all of these reviews are coming from. Some teachers are gems, others are forgettable. As a whole the school on the outside seems great but is actually very fast paced at everything they do and lacks organization. Its not like how school was when I was little where parents had a growing relationship with the staff and teachers. They offer PE class which has a very good teacher however it is a parking lot which doubles as the PE field. That's not the fault of the teachers because this school shouldn't have been built were it is. The principal has a strong character. It may rub people the wrong way at times. Speaking to her personally I can say that she is helpful and interested in every child in that school. However, it truly is her way or none at all. I didn't like that and it seems its not open for discussion no matter what. A few teachers also seem to share that demeanor but most of them don't. Overall, its not bad its just not as good as it could and should be. One more thing, stop asking for money and focus on the education and character building. Thank you

Posted April 29, 2014

Some people have good experiences with their child's school and others don't. I totally understand the parents having an unpleasant experience. My child will not be attending next year and I'm thankful. As for the parents having a good experience that's great for them. Eventually they will have run ins with an unprofessional and rude principal as Santa Fe's. And I'm sure the parents giving 5 stars are those in the parent clique or a staff posing as a parent just to help out the school rating. As for the 'religious' teaching (holidays) at school, that should be kept separate and at home, not in a school setting. That's not being ignorant.

Posted April 25, 2014

I could not read and not post. Santa Fe Advantage Academy is a school of choice. I chose it because it's a small school, everybody knows everybody, parents are very friendly, and teachers are accessible. They send flyers galore, they send reminders by text, e-mails, you name it! I am happy with the teachers, their family ambiance. My child is happy, loves his school, teachers, Principal. If my child is happy, I am happy. Yes, there have been time that they have said "no, we don't need more help for now" but that is because they honestly don't, with so many parents trying to serve they have to say no at some point. In my opinion and experience teachers and Principal work very hard to be sensitive to the children's needs and well-being not only educational but emotional and social as well. I may not agree with certain things, but, such is life, it will not bend to my needs, if I don't like something I either change it (if I can) or accept it and make the best of it or move on to hopefully better places and people. For now, my child and I will stay where we are loved.

Posted April 24, 2014

I am surprised by the possition from the other parent. My child has kids from many diffrent religions and they have always respect that and never have they shown any difference. If by teaching religion they mean learning about different traditions such as Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanza, it is not a religious perspective but a point of view on traditions. They are teaching the kids how the world is different and that only promotes respect. Knowledge is a tool; ignorance is the reason for so much hatred in the world. My kids love the school. They feel safe and loved. The school still needs some organization, but it is indeed a new school and the good things outshine the little small details that are not perfect. They care and treat every kid with respect, care, and love!!!

Posted April 24, 2014

I would like to respectfully disagree with the parent who made the negative comments as to SFA. As a staff member since it's opening, SFA has prided themselves as a top school in academics and parental involvement. Behavior notifications are simply that, notifications to a parent about an action that was not acceptable. Those forms do not change the child's grades! As to parent participation, parents are encouraged to attend as many events possible. Unfortunately, some events are limited to a certain number of participants, therefore we make all attempts to give everyone an opportunity to attend by taking turns. Times have changed and one of our top priorities is the safety of our students, this means, at times we are forced to limit the number of non-school personnel on campus. We are very respectful of all religious beliefs/cultures and do not teach "religion". As a Florida Public Charter School, we must follow the State's curriculum, including teaching about different cultures. We strive on making every student, parent, and visitor feel like an integral member of our Mustang Family. I am proud of all we have accomplished thus far, and look forward to many more years at SFA.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 24, 2014

I am a parent at Santa Fe Advantage Academy and when I read the review from the other parent, I had to respond because I completely disagree. I receive notifications all the time to remind us of school policies and to encourage us as parents to get involve and volunteer for school functions. Also, in regards to religious beliefs SFA teachers are respectful and have allowed my child to complete activities that are similar but do not disrespect our beliefs. For example, my son completed a spring basket with flowers while other students in the class used eggs with the basket. Also, the teachers taught many types of religions from around the world during the winter holidays so my child learned about places and things from around the world. The principal Mrs. Cantillo is a warm and welcoming person, who greets each of her families by name and I leave each morning knowing my child is in good hands. His teachers are always quick to respond to emails and notes I write in the agenda. I will continue to support Santa Fe Academy as I have for the last three years.

Posted April 24, 2014

My child has been at Santa Fe since they opened in 2011. I have been extremely happy with the teachers and staff. My child WANTS to come to school every day. He is excited about all the activities they do in class with his wonderful teachers. Every week there is a science lab and a hands on math activities that engages my son and it is all he talks about. He absolutely LOVES science and math now. I have seen him flourish in not only academics, but social skills and he has become more responsible and independent. I couldn't be happier at Santa Fe.

Posted April 23, 2014

My child is a student at Santa fe advantage academy. They say their pink slips and violation notices are ways of communication to the parents but every notification affects the child's grade. They do not let parents be present in most activities, you have to be chosen by the teacher or staff to be present. They are also not respectful to different religious beliefs. A school should not be teaching anything religious as part if their curriculum. And a parent should have the right to choose whether their child should participate in a religious activity or not and they should provide alternate assignments if a parent does not want their child learning something religious they are teaching. The child should not be penalized for it with an incomplete or bad grade. The principal is not professional. I do have to say though that Nanette Hernandez, her assistant is wonderful, professional and helpful.

Posted April 23, 2014

My child attends Santa Fe academy and I cannot wait until this year is over. The review about the principal's attitude, 'it's my way or the highway' is spot on. They are super disorganized. Report cards are given late, notifications for assignments are last minute, parents have to scramble at the last minute to do projects. Oh, but to ask for money they are on time! It's been a mess since the first day. They don't have your usual music classes or a proper P.E. field either. I do t know why they got a four star rating.

Posted March 15, 2014

I love working at Santa Fe Advantage Academy!! Mrs. Cantillo, the principal is so considerate, helpful, and understanding! By far one of the best principals I have ever met! The school staff is a family, we all care for each other and everyone's classes. The teachers look out for other students that aren't even theirs, which in my opinion is fabulous! Whether it's tying a shoe, getting a band-aid, or just simply offering a hug when a student is having a bad day. I can't wait to have my own children to bring them to a school I trust for education! This school is a safe and welcoming place for children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 19, 2014

So far pretty good. The school is small and I was concerned with the grade the school received but after some issues at Bridgepoint I decided to give santa fe a chance. I must say the school is like a family everyone pretty much knows my child's name. The school really tries to come together and they have a lot of school activities. Ms.Perez is a kindergarten teacher who is needles to say great with the kids and really knows how to approach parents when there is an issue. Yes it is true that at times they'll inform the parents with little notice but as a parent I am always asking if anything is coming up and I must say the ptso is great with this. My daughter has come a long way and has improved significantly since she started here. Small school but each kid is recognized and isn't just a number! The principal is strong but loves the kids ad if they were her own.

Posted January 10, 2014

Poor school. Negative comments have nothing to do with a parent being scorn. "Check again, your child may be in a lower grade level without your knowledge. My son has been at this school since 1st grade and if it wasn't for the serious of issues that occurred I may never had know this schools methods. I recently dis enrolled my son and he is now at another school. I now see all the disadvantages Santa Fe has. I am just Sorry I had to find out the hard way but things happen for a reason. So much happier now. Beware principal only works a one way mind. Her way or the highway !!!!!

Posted November 30, 2013

Santa Fe is so disorganized. My son was told to bring in supplies for a science project. Several weeks later a note was sent for more supplies. Several weeks later SOME of these supplies were sent home so he could "complete" the project that was barely started. No instructions. Art class alternates with music every other week. No consistency. Sometimes the class is cancelled. Why bother? He is supposed to do "Reading Plus" on line daily. No instructions were given on how to sign in or even what it was. Last week was career day. At 4:38 PM the day before, I received a text from his teacher to dress as what you would like to do for your career for the next day. I did not have time to find an outfit for this. He went without. He told me that only 1 child dressed up in his class. Why bother? I knew career day was coming 2 months prior but they waited until a few hours before the event to let us know about dressing up. These ideas are great but not if they are not communicated properly. I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

Posted August 6, 2013

Overcrowded classrooms, no PE field, art and music room taken away, Spanish class horrible, should I says more???? Test scores very low

Posted July 16, 2013

My son has been enrolled in the school since it opened and is super happy with the school. The principal knows each and every parent and is always accessible. The teachers are outstanding and respond to any concerns in a very timely manner. There is a wonderful energy that is within the school and the children feel very good about learning. there are PTA meetings, clubs for students, and community activities. Being a parent of a happy Principal Honor student at Santa Fe is peace of mind. No worries

Posted June 26, 2013

We love SFA! The staff and teachers are amazing, my kids are excited about the upcoming new school year. Go Mustangs!

Posted March 1, 2013

My husband & I recently took a tour of this school. We heard about Santa Fe from a friend who raves about the school & staff, & recommended it to us for our son who will be entering Kinder in the fall. The first thing we noticed upon our arrival was the sense of "family". The tour was conducted by Ms. Hernandez, the principal's assistant. We have attended other school's tours/parent meetings, & this is the only one where we experienced such a warm welcome, extreme professionalism, & an overall passion for the students & the school. While on the tour, everytime a student walked by, Ms. Hernandez greeted them by name, & even excused herself to tie their shoes! Needless to say we were IMPRESSED! This was not just a simple tour, she answered all of our questions in detail. She was awesome! We were not able to meet the principal, she was in a meeting, but we feel like we know her already,by how highly Ms. Hernandez spoke about her! At no point in time did she even "bash" another school to make Santa Fe look good. At another school tour given by that principal, it seemed the only way to make their school look "good" was to talk bad about others. Santa Fe is our #1 choice for our son.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

49 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

49 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

22 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2010-2011.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2009-2010.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Fairchild Tropical Gardens Award (2012)
  • Fairchild Tropical Gardents Award (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Ms. Yesenia Cantillo
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (786) 718-1921

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Transportation options

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council