Renaissance Charter School At Poinciana

Charter | K-8 | 906 students

Posted January 7, 2014

Agree with the parent who commented below about this school being a joke. Most of the faculty that I have encountered are very rude and unprofessional. My son is an average student and works hard, but has struggled this year. My son is in Middle School and he is really struggling in Math this year. The Middle School Math Teacher really hasn't found his niche yet I don't think. I can't say for certain, but I met up with him (the teacher) and I though I smelled alcohol on the teacher's breath. I was afraid to bring this up and make a false claim and then fear that the faculty would treat my son differently. Next year - New School! Hopefully Better Experience!

Posted October 4, 2013

My family and I relocated to florida a few years back. My children was attending public school here in florida when one of the teachers recommended my children be enrolled in a charter school in their words it was a better school system that would challenge my children for they were advanced for their grade level. Long story short I jumped at the opportunity to enroll both my children to RCS. Biggest mistake ever!! Not only do my children get bullied by other students but some staff members as well. From having honor roll students I now have children who struggle acedemically due to the bullying and not wanting to participate in class so they won't get made fun of. Where I came from the school system had strict rules and had a anti-bullying policy that was enforced. RCA just ignores the problem. Their is no example for these children to follow. Staff members openly comments about other staff members and parents out in the open and at one point I overheard a staff member comment on a student after she rudely yelled at her to go to class. I did not know staff members were given the authority to speak to and speak of children in this manner. What a disgrace of a school.

Posted September 12, 2013

Renaissance Charter School- Poinciana is a money making business. My son made honor roll throughout the entire year, but believe me, It wasn't because he was a genius, the school was not challenging at all and when I compared their 2nd grade curriculum to RCE, it was a joke. Not to add that the school made a D" on the 2012 FCAT and got rid of 14 teachers who were obviously not qualified. As for my son, he is back to RCE an A" rated school and is struggling in math and reading because he did not master any of the things he was suppose to learn in 2nd grade at this charter school. Yes, my son is also bilingual, but it is not about learning Spanish. What use is to know another language when you are struggling with core subjects. Foreign language is not going to help you pass the state FCAT and definitely Renaissance Charter School either. More than 30% of the kids were taken out by their parents and reenrolled in the public school system. So sad.

Posted September 2, 2013

So far I am very happy with the school. The main reason I enrolled my child here was spanish. I could've enroll her to Reedy Creek an A school but for us it is very important that she learns Spanish. We are in Florida and we are surrounded by spanish people. We really want our children to have the same chances in life with the kids that learn spanish home. It is always Rosseta Stones for how wants to learn mandarin. Unfortunately Florida require s spanish. Thumb up for RCS at Poinciana.

Posted August 16, 2013

I love the charter school system and I was excited to have my child attend this school..but it doesn't have any school bus transportation and if you don't live close to the school it's a drive to get there (25mins for me) which I would do if my other kids didn't get out of school the same time as Renassiance..hopefully the school could fix that problem or even better have openings for elem grade levels so my children can attend school together

Posted June 5, 2013

I cannot agree more that we need to focus on ENGLISH! Our children struggle to read/write English let alone adding another language. If we are going to add another language there should be a choice! Comparing European schools to American schools is comparing apples & oranges. European system is set up completely different than ours. I am so sick of having the Spanish agenda shoved down my throat. I speak fluent French because that was my choice in school. If we are to compete with foreign markets then let's teach our kids a language that would actually assist them in competing in those markets. Spanish more certainly is not a language that would assist us in this endeavor. How about Mandarin or Japanese. Those countries are currently kicking our tails in just about every area.

Posted May 20, 2013

I am a parent of a 6th grade student and I am HIGHLY dissatisfied with this school. They promote themselves as being above the public school standards and truly focused on the student's achievement, but that is not ANYTHING like our experience with this school. Most of the teachers are subpar, disorganized, and unprofessional. One of the teachers uses foul language on a daily basis, even toward the students. There is no library, or even textbooks. They opened the school telling everyone that they would receive a laptop or ipad, but it never happened (lies to boost enrollment numbers) so they were left without resources. Administration is less than professional. I cannot speak for other grade levels, but for the middle school level, if your experience turns out like mine, you would do your child a great disservice to enroll them in this school. My child had been an ideal student through elementary school & even received the president's award at her 5th grade graduation. She has never had behavioral issues. It is a beautiful school, and I wish I had more nice things to say about it, but I would not recommend this school to ANYONE.

Posted May 10, 2013

To that I say why don't you move to Europe? Why? Why should our American English speaking schools have to prioritize teaching our children a different language? Has it ever occured to you that maybe some parents would prefer for their children to excel in english and not have to learn a 2nd language? Instead of putting our schools down, why don't you teach them yourself if you want it taught so badly? I think our schools have done a good job beefing up their education.

Posted May 1, 2013

You are right. We are from South America, so we speak spanish to our children home. Unfortunately we were hoping them also to learn how to read and spell in Spanish. Schools should make it a priority.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

109 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

110 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

139 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

139 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

110 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

This school did not receive a grade in 2011-2012.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Doctorate degree 0%1%1%
Other degree 0%N/A2%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gifted specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Audiovisual aids
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Instrumental music lessons

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom