Bellalago Academy

Charter | K-8 | 1563 students

Posted July 1, 2014

My son has attended Bellalago Academy since kindergarten and is now going into 5th grade. This is a really good school. The teachers are wonderful and really do strive to give their students the best possible education. The principle, Mrs. Honeycut, provides strong leadership. The administrative staff in the front office has always been kind and courteous. I know all this because I volunteer their at least once a week, sometimes twice. It may not have all the programs that some people who move from other areas are use to, but I feel those comparisons are unfair. We know funding for many of these programs are up to the schools because the county only provides for the essentials. So my advice, quit complaining, get involved in our PTA and help out and let your voice be heard. I hear all these complaints but when it't time for the PTA meeting or events only the regulars show up. Also, learn what programs the school does offer and take advantage of those, because this school does have some really good ones.

Posted July 1, 2014

We need that Bellalago make programs for parents and students; and organize culture and academy events with parents participation.

Posted June 30, 2014

My daughter has been going to Bellalago since she was in Kindergraten and she is now entering 5th grade. We've never had any issues with either staff or students. If the teacher or administration thinks anything is going on or about to happen, parents are contaced. Her teacher was concered about a situation that happened one day and while it wasn't directly toward my daughter, she was there. Her teacher made sure he spoke to me, he called my job number, my cell number, my home number and emailed me. He didn't stop until we spoke. She is always looked after whether in school or extended day. For me this school is like a small community where everyone knows each other and looks out for one another. I'm so happy that she will remain in this school until she's in the 8th grade.

Posted February 18, 2014

Office and the extender day care staff is unprofessional. They have a serious bulling problem, the teachers and principal know about it and the do nothing!!!.

Posted February 17, 2014

The worst school if your child is black. some of the teacher are ok but the leadership of that school is unprofessional run the school on favoritism if it wasn't for the FCAT I would transfer my child to an other school

Posted January 30, 2014

Great School. Amazing teachers. Middle school is very will run. The students are well behaved and the teachers make all the difference in this excellent school. Great administration as well.

Posted January 3, 2014

My granddaughter is a second grader in Mr. Marcinak's class. She has always made the AB honor roll... She was one of the students involved in the karate van accident right before Thanksgiving break. Some of the teachers and the principal visited the hospitals where the kids were taken and then the principal called my daughter the next day as well.... When school started back after the break, they called all the kids in together so they could talk about their concerns and fears. My graddaughter was quite traumatized by the accident and to be able to express herself to someone other than me or her mom, was very helpful. I have been at the school only one time since I live in Orange County, but my experience was very good. My granddaughter loves her school and her teacher this year

Posted January 2, 2014

This is my daughter's first year at Bellalago Academy, the experience have been great overall; her teacher Mr. Marciniak has been great with her, she's learning a lot from him.... The staff and everybody, they're great responsible people. I don't know if in the future I'll change my mind, but up today.... GREAT SCHOOL.....

Posted August 1, 2013

Bellalago Academy is one of the BEST Schools I've ever been associated with. I am a Grandma with 5 granchildren, 3 of whom have gone to Bella. The Music dept, Chorus with Mike Ortiz and Band with Eric Troop has made such a difference in my two granddaughters. The Principal, Mrs Honeycutt is an outstanding educator and rules the school with a loving but firm hand. I have encouraged several parents to enroll their children in this exemplary school. I cannot stress enough the caliber of education this school supplies to our children. My grandson started kindergarten with Crystal Ortiz and has been on the A-B honor roll every 6 weeks and he is now in 3rd grade. I am at a loss as to what else could be said except that I LOVE this school and am so very glad my grandchildren have the chance to attend.

Posted July 22, 2013

I have been going to this school for around 8 years now and I would NOT recommend this school for any parents thinking of sending their child here. The teachers here a quite rude and the students,The students say very nasty things to those who "don't fit in" and they use very nasty words to other's,The teachers dont give ANY discipline to their students, they only send them to other teachers or sometimes give them a detention, they send a boatload of homework, and expect you to finish them in one night! The only good thing about this school is probably how easy it is to zone out, because the teachers could be very boing, although the student can be a tad bit annoying... They barely prep the students for the F-CAT; I wish this school could give more discipline to the student and perhaps the teachers could be more nice. Overall, don't send your child to this school, because everyone at this school are very rude. My apologies if the majority of this didn't make sense :P

Posted May 28, 2013

We moved to Kissimmee one year ago from El Paso TX because I was in the US ARMY, and this is, by far, the worst school I have ever seen. There is no extracurricular activities, there is no interest for the students, students spend half of the class doing homework, and there is no structure or discipline in the classroom. The teachers have little or no interest on the academic advancement of the student. Very disappointed, moving my sons to a different school for next school year.

Posted March 13, 2013

Absolutely horrible. They seem to have no care for the students. They take forever to respond to requests. Orange County was so much better. Office staff is unprofessional. Not a school I would personally choose for my child. Expected a lot more from this particular Charter School.

Posted February 19, 2013

The front office receptionist couldn't have been any ruder to me. I asked to see the principal as it took 2 and a half hours to enroll my daughter in her first day of school there even though she had all necessary paperwork. Instead of the principal I was "greeted" by the principal's secretary who also gave me attitude and asked me to " be patient" I think 2 and a half hours to enroll your child is being VERY patient! Last week I called to report a bullying incident my daughter was witness to and was told my daughter would be questioned about what she witnessed NOT I had to call the school again and report it to the district to get them to do something about it ridiculous. Today I tried to call the school for an hour & a half no one picks up they finally picked up the phone at 9 o clock " they are too busy in the morning" then that got changed to " there was a phone issue". Parents dropping off and picking up in the Walgreens, Publix and Mcdonalds parking lot daily so they don't have to wait in the car line. A child got hit last week in Walgreens because of this this school needs a major overhaul!

Posted October 12, 2012

my grades are good im 11 and the teachers are pretty cool. iam in 6th grade and my friend by with there phones in class.....thers NO dissiplin

Posted August 7, 2012

My family moved to Kissimmee last year. It took over a week to get a schedule and he didn't have books through the first week. Bullying is a huge problem. The administration does not return phone calls or emails(I had to get the State Board involved in one issue). Trying to keep track of your child's progress is impossible. We can only check thier homework on-line, yet the teachers are 2-3 weeks behind. The students spend half of the class doing "homework"(shouldn't they be learning?). Most teachers will teach some of the class in Spanish. I guess my expectations for a Charter school were much higher. My son will be entering the 7th grade, and the school is well below the state average(FCAT). Oh, and by the way, if you can ever get a parent-teacher conference scheduled, don't expect much. The teachers get too defensive and question you the parent for your concern. Makes no sense. If you are a parent looking for attentive teachers, reachable administrators, and an excellent education than Bellalago Academy should not be your first or second choice. We are less than two weeks from school starting and the website isn't even updated. That should say it all.

Posted July 23, 2012

Wow what a coincidence! My daughter has been going to this school since 2009 too. She was always a "A" student! But here her grades goes down. After months of a deep investigation (by my self) I found she was victim of bully from diferent students. At the bus, at the school. I talked to different liders at school without a real help...other than..."hey, don't pay attention to those student!"...But what was the cherry on the top? The chorus teacher don't have the hability and knowledge to deal with student! Instead, he made my daughter's semester more hard..doing the same. I hope he changes his way, stop disturbing students who are not their favorite group and understand that his job is to help students NOT to make their life more difficult! He has just become a father. Life has planted and harvested. He should think a little more in their future generation...God bless your son when he gets to school!

Posted July 9, 2012

I am 11 and about to enter 6th grade i love my school ive been going to this school since 1st grade the teachers are nice and the arts teachers are AMAZING!

Posted June 10, 2012

I have had nothing but great experiences with the school! The teachers are some of the best I have ever seen and the Principal is always willing to speak with me. It is evident that the people who work there truly have a love for the kids. The parents who are complaining should probably look at the actions of their own students and quit blaming them on the school.

Posted June 9, 2012

My daughter has been going to this school since 2009. She is a straight A student but the school has changed. There is a huge bully problem there. I know numerous parents who have the same problem. Here is an example, while in chorus class an after school activity my daughter was scratched on her arm and spit in her face. She tried to tell the teacher and he would not listen. The result after talking with the teacher and I quote "I don't care" If you can send you children to an other school send them to one that does not tolerate bullying of any kind. This is a nationwide disease which is a very sad thing. One positive note. My child's teachers have really been good over the past 3 years. My daughter passed the FCAT with a 4 which reflects on her teacher.

Posted May 9, 2012

If there were zero stars, I would put it. We moved from SC 3/4 of the way into the school year, and my children were miles ahead of the kids here. My oldest son lost two courses that aren't offered in his grade here and became very downcast. One was a high school credit course. The asst principal didn't contact or notify me for two weeks about his schedule, and they tested him without my knowledge or consent. Only one teacher even will email with me, and that includes the principal. Discipline in the middle school is atrocious; fights are constantly breaking out and kids cuss and jeer at teachers-and these are the honor classes. When a teacher is out, they don't replace them, instead doing what they call "splits" which divides the class up into other classes, where you then don't do any work. We can't wait to get our kids out of this school, and I am shocked that any parent would try to have their children attend on purpose. The school also doesn't update it's website, and doesn't have the parent survey online that Osceola County schools are supposed to have. If you are thinking about moving to this part of Kissimmee, stay where you are.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

182 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

182 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

180 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

172 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

171 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

172 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

188 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

189 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

150 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

206 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

206 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

198 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

166 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

169 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

57 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3651 Pleasant Hill Road